Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Question about NTL supplied cable modem

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2002, 10:23 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

There appears to be an outage in my area at the moment, which hopefully explains the problems I had connecting to the net last night and this morning before work. I left my PC on yesterday and came home to find Windows 2k complaining I'd removed my cable modem without stopping it first (I've connected it via USB) and I was subsequently unable to connect to the net.

Turned my PC off and later in the evening back on. Windows then decided to 'make some corrections to my file system' - after which it picked up my cable modem as a new device and I reinstalled the driver. Strangely, there are no .chk files written to disk as a result of the file system corrections it claims to have made.

I'm now unsure whether my problems connecting are due to the outage or the corrections windows may have made and my reinstalling the modem driver. Should point out that it has been working for the last 2 weeks with no problem.

CorrectConnect says it cannot find a network card. The lights on my modem that are lit up are PWR USB (when the PC is on and the cable modem listed in the USB devices dialog) the D/S light is also flashing, so I wonder if I am affected by the outage?

Would I be right in assuming that if everything was working correctly, the PWR, USB or E/NET, SYNC and RDY lights would be on, with U/S and D/S flashing as packets are sent received?

Thought a Scoobynet post would be more productive than a call to NTL last night

Den