Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Solaris root disk partition sizes

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2002, 10:45 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all the Solaris/UNIX bods....

If I had a 36 gig root disk and installed so as / with a 20g slice and s1 as swap with a 16g slice, what are the reasons why this would not be a good idea ? The root disk is then to be mirrored with Veritas (not my choice !)

I have a few (fsck time, mirror catchup time, etc) but was interested to hear what others would think.

Edited to say that i would keep /, /usr, /var and /opt on s0 for VxVM root mirroring reasons (as per a Sun bluprint doc)

Dave

[Edited by druddle - 7/26/2002 10:57:51 AM]
Old 26 July 2002, 11:13 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Dave,

Althought it is fairly unlikely, if logging in /var goes haywire and fills up the / partition - this will cause problems - perhaps:

/
/export[/home]
/var
swap

As minimum f/s' ... the O/S root fs layout is usually bias towards the application you are running ... for example, if you know swap is going to take a hammering, perhaps put it on a dedicated disk that is accessible at boot... if you know the application logs huge amounts of data to /var create a bigger /var partition...

Generally you can assume that /etc, /opt and /usr are static in content - but may need space for new apps, but /export (due to home areas, sybase etc..) and /var are generally not (depends on your standard builds/applications in use and what the server is being setup to do!).

Sorry if this isn't exactly what you were after...

I've left my mobile at home today (doh), but if you want to discuss it later, give me a call after 7pm mate.

Alex
Old 26 July 2002, 11:24 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Thanks Alex. I was thinking about /var and logging, but assumed that 20gb would be enough space for /var to be part of before someone realised heavy logging was happening and filling the fs up. I s'pose its dangerous to assume tho

The system will run at least 2 Oracle 8i databases, probably 3, but they are not heavily used and memory intensive.

Old 26 July 2002, 11:34 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,

Yeah I know what you mean 20Gb could be clasified alot, but I've seen 20Gb used in a matter of days by a group of users.. and then the system fell over (partially due to crap monitoring, ecotools).. as I said, you have to base the layout on what the server is going to be used for.. yer cheeky monkey

Hope all is ok, you were a no-show last night @ Bracknell meet.

Cheers, Alex
Old 26 July 2002, 12:22 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i did return your SMS but i had a nightmare and ended up back in the City until 2130h
Old 26 July 2002, 12:47 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

I tent to place everything hanging off the root partition.
When you come to upgrade solaris it is allways funny if you don't have enough space in /var, /home, /opt etc.

fsck time should not be a problem because you are using UFS logging I hope

Mirror sync will only be an issue when you first sync the mirror. This usally takes 10-15 minutes when you first install.
I assume you are using vxmirror to mirror the disk, not vxdiskadm..

We use loads of EMC storage, so any application tend to go onto seperate partitions on EMC. That leaves about 25-27 gig left for solaris!

If you have loads of local applications it's always better to have them on seperate disks if possible. Stops you having to worry about contention issues with the root disk / volume.

my2cents
Old 26 July 2002, 03:09 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

Yeah I am tempted but its the whole /var thing, and also I think its a good idea to keep /export[/home] seperately. But everything else can go on the root disk.

I will be encapsulating and configuring mirror root with VxVM and yes i will be using vxmirror

The Oracle 8i stuff will all be in seperate filesystems in a FibreCAT (rebadged EMC Clariion) to make that easier.

Thanks.

Dave

P.S. I have asked again about the SPARC question you said about last week as i havent heard anything.
Old 28 July 2002, 01:11 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate