Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

VPN via Internet using ADSL

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2002, 08:51 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The application will be to link Warehouse to Main office.

Our warehouse will be running MS Access locally and pulling in data from a linked table back at the Main Office.

Has anyone done this with VPN ? Access is an intermediate package not really designed for this kind of stuff so I'd be interested to hear from anyone using this setup.

-DV
Old 24 July 2002, 09:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Well - I have

Although I've been using GPRS connection, the principles will remain the same but faster

Traku uses a copy of Mappoint on the local PC/laptop together with the PTMW application (yo Fosters!) to connect to the Access XP d/b (yo Kryten!) held on our office servers via VPN. Works just the same over HH as well. Obviously ADSL will work even better!

Old 24 July 2002, 11:02 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Did Kryten have to tweak the db to stop the connection timing out, or anything ?

I'd feel a lot happier with a true dbms like Oracle or even MySQL, but if you've got it to work, thats good enough for me!

Old 24 July 2002, 11:22 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Make sure your firewall works properly with MS PPTP VPNs. I've seen some funnies. e.g. some versions of Cisco Firewall feature set claim to fully support it but still require additional settings to allow a complete connection. I've also seen a VPN connection thorugh a Smoothwall(home) and FW-1(Corporate) fail though it should have worked.

Oh and make sure if you're running ZoneAlarm or similair you remember to set that properly aswell (eh Puff ? )

Deano
Old 24 July 2002, 11:27 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Deano, we'll be running Sonicwall products at both ends of the link. A 'tele3' and a 'soho3'

Thanks for the advice

[Edited by DazV - 7/24/2002 11:27:40 PM]
Old 24 July 2002, 11:55 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

We're running Sonicwall @ the server end so NP

No tweaking necessary after WillieF racked up the servers

Deano - that was below the belt
Old 25 July 2002, 07:35 PM
Belf
Scooby Regular

VPN will work fine. There are different ways of doing it. If the two sites have pernamently on servers then you could run a persistent server to server vpn rather than the usual 'dial in' type used by tele-workers. Win2k has vpn stuff built in. You'll need 1 Win2k server for a 'dial in' type or 2 for a persistent route vpn. Alternatively if you firewalls support it you can get them to deal with the vpn connection/termination.
Old 29 July 2002, 11:55 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

<defending honor>
An Access DB was the easiest thing to start with - saved the hassle of a full SQL Server/MySQL install.
</defending honor>

Of course, the DB access is simply a module, that can be replaced with one to access something else pretty quickly (though now Puff will hold me to that statement!).

As has been said, be careful with the Firewall/VPN setup - its all to easy to leave a nice big hole in the defences....