Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Router recommendation for fibre cable connection ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2021, 10:19 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Router recommendation for fibre cable connection ?

A couple of years ago our village (UK) was linked to Gigaclear fibre optic cable, we joined and the package included a Genexis DRG router. The network is fine but the router is barely ok and we need something that will give a better/more efficient wifi coverage to the bungalow. We have to use an extender to get a signal away from the router.
Gigaclear now supply the Linksys router to new installations so ...

1. is this a decent router that has a good output signal, in which case the easy option is to get Gigaclear to supply/fit one.
2. what other routers are efficient and have a good signal output ?
3. is replacing the router an easy job, ie a DIY ? The old telephone broadband was easy but I have never connected a router to a fibre cable. Is it best left to someone who knows what they are doing ?

The cable comes from the "pot" in the road underground and up to a box on the outside wall then a feed through to the Genexis router died to the inside wall.
Any advice much appreciated.
Cheers
Brian.
Old 08 April 2021, 06:18 PM
MrRtm
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Assuming by fibre you mean virgin style which is a screw in coax cable?

Which linksys router? There's A LOT

What's your usage like?
​​​​​​Personally I've bottlenecked every consumer router I've ever owned and ended up just building my own, very much doubt your at that level tho.

Assuming the linksys (when you've got a model number) is crap what's your budget?

If your buying you probably want a WiFi 6 router, better range and throughput and future proof as most if not all support mesh (will replace your extender and be so much better)
Old 09 April 2021, 08:47 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

JBL i run Virgins 1 gig, but i always use their modem in Modem only mode because of that termination to the box, the screw in co-ax. ive used many Mesh setups my Fav was my Zyxel Multi X 3 node mesh which is bulletproof. But i started to have over 40 wifi things using it so i upgraded to ORBI Pro 853, what a mistake that was if you run the ORBI in router mode, there are massive DNS issues and WIFI dropouts, loads on ORBI forums about it, the WIFI 6 is fast and gave me the thruput on the 6 enabled devices but the DNS was crap, so in the end i just ripped them out and went back to Zyxel

The ORBI i believe does work well in AP mode so not as a router, but router mode was kaka babba,

If i was going WIFI 6 again id probably suggest Linksys or if your a bit more savvy Ubiquiti... But if you want a solution to replace where the fibre terminates, i dont know what there is...

When Buying WIFI 6/MESH etc, make sure the mesh has a dedicated backhaul channel, so that it doesnt interfere with the WIFI throughput, it basically uses the 3rd channel to communicate between nodes. Their not cheap though..

Last edited by Littleted; 09 April 2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11 April 2021, 12:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the netgear mesh system with two satellites, never had a problem with WiFi since using them on problem is virgin and their internet constantly going down.
Old 11 April 2021, 12:32 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Is Virgin modem only mode Steve or still your main router with NETGEAR in AP mode
Old 11 April 2021, 01:23 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Littleted, i have the superhub and I have left virgin WiFi in place but its not very good. I have the netgear nk63 plugged in and connect to that all the time. No buffering at all watching 4k content on plex.
Old 11 April 2021, 01:25 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve so AP mode I believe this does work I’ve yet to try this way, I’m off this week might give it a go

all the issues seem to be when you turn everything off on Virgin and use the Orbi as the main router for some reason NETGEAR proxy DNS some weird way which in turn causes all these issues in AP mode this is switched off

thanks