Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

The world of Apple

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2016, 10:52 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The world of Apple

So I don't hide it, I think Apple are a disgrace of a company, charging over the top for products made by kids in India/China .. etc, the only upside is the world is full of Apple lovers, so devices hold their value, meaning if you keep them tidy you don't really lose out money wise in the long term.

Having opted for the iphone for work, I decided to get the watch and fair play it's pretty good. Better than the Android ones I've had. Ok, so I already have a couple of iPads as they are locked down enough for the kids and do what I need and I've just bought Apple TV because again and not to quote the Apple fan boys, but it "just works" .. that said I have my files hosted on a windows monster of a machine which I also use for gaming. No plans to move away from windows, 10 with a 7 skin is rock solid and has yet to cause me any issues.

Next step was a MAC and I'm quite open to technology, not one to fanboy either way, so I bought a Macbook Air .. 2014 model, quite nice, light seems ok, this would be to replace my iPad and give me something more usable in meetings. (my Carbon X1 is good but it's Corp build, so not as clean as I'd like)

Plan was to have all this stuff work together and "simplify" my life and travels.

First issue apps for iphone and ipad don't work on Macs and I need to be able to access "Good" to get to my work emails, else I'm pissing around with Cytrix and VPNs.

Any suggestions?

Old 31 May 2016, 10:54 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

oh and FYI everything apart from the work funded iPhone was second hand .. I won't buy new or anything from Apple directly, just because the prices are so crazy.
Old 31 May 2016, 11:11 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Fanboy.
Old 31 May 2016, 11:16 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

trying to work out exactly what the issue is here .

As you have found out , apps from the App Store ( for IOS) are different from apps for the mac. Confusingly also caused the app store but for Mac OS.

So I am guessing that you use a certain app on the iPhone to get to your emails as your company does not use Exchange web services or active sync, meaning you can't just access it from your built in mail app ?
Old 31 May 2016, 11:56 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

https://community.good.com/docs/DOC-7170
Old 31 May 2016, 12:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have pay for the Mac apps as well ?!
Old 31 May 2016, 12:51 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
trying to work out exactly what the issue is here .

As you have found out , apps from the App Store ( for IOS) are different from apps for the mac. Confusingly also caused the app store but for Mac OS.

So I am guessing that you use a certain app on the iPhone to get to your emails as your company does not use Exchange web services or active sync, meaning you can't just access it from your built in mail app ?

Yeah, so the company have locked it all down, so I have to use one of their associated applications, Good being the one I have for my iPad. I use Mobile Iron for the Phone which is great, but I can't use it twice.

Seems daft having apps that only run on certain devices, even windows doesn't do that.

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2016, 12:55 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Yeah, so the company have locked it all down, so I have to use one of their associated applications, Good being the one I have for my iPad. I use Mobile Iron for the Phone which is great, but I can't use it twice.

Seems daft having apps that only run on certain devices, even windows doesn't do that.
well windows mobile and windows itself has always been different beast, shared code but not exactly the same.
Apple do the same, IOS and MacOS have been getting closer and closer over the years but if you think about, it would look bloody awful having a desktop OS on a small device like an iPhone. Man, fat fingers and a small cursor
Old 31 May 2016, 12:57 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Do you have pay for the Mac apps as well ?!

Same deal, some free some paid, but to be honest the apps for the Mac are as **** as the apps for windows 8 .. wouldn't both with them.
Old 31 May 2016, 12:58 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
well windows mobile and windows itself has always been different beast, shared code but not exactly the same.
Apple do the same, IOS and MacOS have been getting closer and closer over the years but if you think about, it would look bloody awful having a desktop OS on a small device like an iPhone. Man, fat fingers and a small cursor

No I get that, but why cant we have the apps on the Mac that work on the phone and pad?

Screen size is about the same on my mac mini as an ipad.
Old 01 June 2016, 10:05 AM
ccsimpreza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think they are a disgrace of a company, yet you seem to have every bit of apple tech going?

Theres a reason why Apple kit is popular and you said it yourself - "it just works", which is one of the reasons why Apple gear has a high resale value.

And your surprised that two different operating systems for two totally different types of devices do not share apps as a default? - Its the developers choice, they can develop an app that operates the exact same across any device if they felt the need to.

I work in IT supporting 40/60 OSX & Windows in a variety of applications. They both have there pros and cons like anything.
Old 05 June 2016, 08:22 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ccsimpreza
You think they are a disgrace of a company, yet you seem to have every bit of apple tech going?

Theres a reason why Apple kit is popular and you said it yourself - "it just works", which is one of the reasons why Apple gear has a high resale value.

And your surprised that two different operating systems for two totally different types of devices do not share apps as a default? - Its the developers choice, they can develop an app that operates the exact same across any device if they felt the need to.

I work in IT supporting 40/60 OSX & Windows in a variety of applications. They both have there pros and cons like anything.
It's not the developers choice, it's the company that chooses to make more money by separating and limiting.

After a week of using a MAC, it's basically a PC for idiots. Nothing technical is easy to do but day to day tasks are there right in front of you. If you just want to get on with doing a set, set of tasks, Apple is great, it works. If you want to do something slightly off track, not a chance. I'm not moving from Windows, I like my PC, I like that when I want to do something I've never done before, I can work out how because options, settings and interfaces are logically set out.

Now I get why Apple has fanboys, it's a certain type of person that feels smarter using a limited and restricted machine, that looks pretty and gives them the illusion they understand.
Old 05 June 2016, 09:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Restricted? The only restriction on OS X is yourself. I'd love to know what "technical" stuff you found difficult.
Old 07 June 2016, 02:07 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

All the devs at my company use Macs (software development for a major marketplace platform), totally Mac culture here. In fact, I'm the only person in the office with a Win PC and that's because my predecessor wrote a whole lot of SQL scripts and Excel Macros on a PC that won't work in the Mac versions... Got a Mac for when I'm not needing to do that work though

In fact Excel for Mac is nowhere near as good as the PC version, that is my only complaint but the fault for that lies with Microsoft
Old 07 June 2016, 05:56 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

poor old tidgy keeps logging on to take a look but wont post since his cry wank about trolling.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ow-trolls.html

i bet his twitching seeing an apple thread.
Old 08 June 2016, 07:15 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
All the devs at my company use Macs (software development for a major marketplace platform), totally Mac culture here. In fact, I'm the only person in the office with a Win PC and that's because my predecessor wrote a whole lot of SQL scripts and Excel Macros on a PC that won't work in the Mac versions... Got a Mac for when I'm not needing to do that work though

In fact Excel for Mac is nowhere near as good as the PC version, that is my only complaint but the fault for that lies with Microsoft
Same where I work, there is no desire to change anything on the MAC so it does as they need it to. TBH the pretty looks are a big part of it too and the "cool" factor". All have PCs at home though.

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
poor old tidgy keeps logging on to take a look but wont post since his cry wank about trolling.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ow-trolls.html

i bet his twitching seeing an apple thread.
Old 08 June 2016, 08:35 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Same where I work, there is no desire to change anything on the MAC so it does as they need it to. TBH the pretty looks are a big part of it too and the "cool" factor". All have PCs at home though.
Seems legit, Cool, Pretty machine in the office, PC at home so you change 'things'. Either that or you have no clue.