Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Apple iPhone Cable Misery

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2016, 01:20 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple iPhone Cable Misery

I usually do not do 'Alcazar' but I'm not very satisfied with Apple iPhone charging cables tbh.

I love all Apple devices for their fool proof performances, but I've noticed that the iPhone charging cable kinks at the juncture where it's attached to the USB port that goes in the plug. This happens ever damn six months and you're paying fortune for a new cable! I'm sick of it!

I once bought a cheap, 4 quid worth iPhone charging USB cable (it came with the plug that I didn't need) on eBay but that came out to be fake and my iPhone started to reject it after two days. I regretted leaving the seller an instant positive feedback.

Any comments? What are your experiences and do you suggest any cheaper option to charge the wretched thing? I do use my iPad's cable to charge it but sometimes I have to charge both. Can one buy a two way socket for it? In my experience, iPad charging cable is much more sturdy and better manufactured. Mind you, if you break or lose that, you have to sell your limb to buy another one, it's even more expensive than an iPhone cable!

What do you say, guys?

PS: I did have an expensive and ultra slim power bank with loads of charge capacity to it. I've given it to the Junior for her travels. Do you think I should just buy a new one of them or what? Oh, hang on. That won't help. It's the USB cable that's faulty, so that won't help. Sorry scrap this postscript.

Back to iPhone USB charging cable, any comments on its crappiness?
Old 20 March 2016, 02:08 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy one from B&M for a fiver
Old 20 March 2016, 02:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Oh, right! If my iPhone rejects it after a few days, then I'll just take it back and exchange it for my Yorkshire teabags. I'll try.

But isn't it wrong for Apple to make such crappy iPhone charging cables and then make us buy a new one for our arm and a leg? I think it is. We shouldn't have to buy even BNM cable, to be fair.
Old 20 March 2016, 03:03 PM
Shax
Scooby Regular

I've never bought an iPhone cable in 5years Apple ownership. Always call up support writhin the warranty and they send out another one. "Your product is not fit for purpose. It's had normal use and failed before my warranty. The phone/iPad has hardly been used but the Chargers already failed." They may ask u to send ur old one back which is free to send anyway. Stop buying em
Old 20 March 2016, 03:36 PM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

I've never had to buy a replacement due to fault. I bought an extra cable so I had one at work. I've had it for about 4 months now with no issue. iPhone 6s
Old 20 March 2016, 03:50 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Strange that you guys never experienced issues with your iPhone charging cable. I had to buy one for 3GS when I had that. Then now I have the iPhone5 for last 18 months, I think. I have had to replace the cable once about 8 months ago, and that one has kinked as well, now. They've all been the original Apple cables; including the ones that came with the phones when I bight them. Curry's and Maplins tech sales lads tell me that it's a common problem with iPhone charging cables and they do croak. How come yours didn't, is a puzzle to me.
Old 20 March 2016, 03:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shax
I've never bought an iPhone cable in 5years Apple ownership. Always call up support writhin the warranty and they send out another one. "Your product is not fit for purpose. It's had normal use and failed before my warranty. The phone/iPad has hardly been used but the Chargers already failed." They may ask u to send ur old one back which is free to send anyway. Stop buying em
That's a bright idea, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks. I'll send the old one back, no problem.

What's their number, Shax? Would they need my proof of purchase? It's not a prob, as I have the Carphone Warehouse receipt of buying the tool.

PS: I'm not sure about the warranty bit, though . I've had it for 18 months, I think. Isn't it only warranted for 12 months?

About still putting up with the iPhone5 and not getting the iPhone 6 or 6S, I'm one of those people who don't like change, unfortunately. I buy new things when the old ones proper break.

Last edited by Turbohot; 20 March 2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 20 March 2016, 04:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I could instantly tell it was another way to make more $$$

So I always make sure I hold the solid bit that actually plugs into the device when putting in / removing cable
Old 20 March 2016, 04:29 PM
Shax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
That's a bright idea, I didn't know you could do that. Thanks. I'll send the old one back, no problem.

What's their number, Shax? Would they need my proof of purchase? It's not a prob, as I have the Carphone Warehouse receipt of buying the tool.

PS: I'm not sure about the warranty bit, though . I've had it for 18 months, I think. Isn't it only warranted for 12 months?

About still putting up with the iPhone5 and not getting the iPhone 6 or 6S, I'm one of those people who don't like change, unfortunately. I buy new things when the old ones proper break.
Easiest route is go online google apple support. Go through the online chat and they will call u back

I've just done one now
Piece of crap if only Nokia chargers plugged into them
Old 20 March 2016, 04:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shax
Easiest route is go online google apple support. Go through the online chat and they will call u back

I've just done one now
Piece of crap if only Nokia chargers plugged into them
Fair play, I shall do that. Thanks, Shax.
Old 20 March 2016, 04:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I could instantly tell it was another way to make more $$$

So I always make sure I hold the solid bit that actually plugs into the device when putting in / removing cable

Hang on. So you're saying that we need to be so careful with the poxy cable that we follow a method with the bloody thing??? Christ, it's a phone charging cable, and it should be as good and sturdy as any other phone's charging cable; not so f@@king fragile! It's like people Morris dancing around their scoob and topping the oil bit by bit at 10 mins intervals for its satisfactory performance.

Yes, I agree with the money making scam by the Apple on these phone charging cables. In my experience, they are utter shyte.
Old 20 March 2016, 05:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

My car one lasts about a year as its left in the sun hanging from the charger. Totally agree that the design could be better.
Old 20 March 2016, 05:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
My car one lasts about a year as its left in the sun hanging from the charger. Totally agree that the design could be better.
Thank you, Jack! You know I'm an Apple fan myself, but I'm on for accepting its faults.

My new iPad's (it's not that new; I bought it 9-10 moths ago, I think) charger cable that came with it, is made with sturdy material. Its durability is unquestionable. But with the iPhone charger, it's not the outer design, it's the different material used for manufacturing as well as how the wires (inside the coating) have been out together. So, yeah, it's the design, if you mean the design / planning of the internal assembly. Outer material also needs the attention as it can wear off and show up the internal metal wire. For its retail value and its durability, the iPhone chargers are obviously a rip off. If Apple can make such a great phone and sell it for mega price, why do they use poor quality materials, poor manufacturing and poor assembly for their chargers?? Sucks, man.

Heat is an issue for sure! Not for just the iPhone chargers but also for the iPads. IPads die under the sun. I can't sit with mine outside in the summer, because it stops under a bit of heat. Another thing that sucks.

Last edited by Turbohot; 20 March 2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 20 March 2016, 06:33 PM
scoobiepaul
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth a try? https://www.iphonepro.co.uk/products...Fa0W0woddDEEtQ
Old 20 March 2016, 06:41 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Never had one fail. I have a draw full that have been accumulated over the years.
I had no idea that there was an issue...
Old 20 March 2016, 06:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiepaul
That's interesting! I'll look into it. I like techy gadgets. My only worry is if my iPhone rejects is because this gadget isn't Apple.
Old 20 March 2016, 06:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madisonmonkey
Never had one fail. I have a draw full that have been accumulated over the years.
Really? Original ones? You should flog them on eBay as 100% genuine products.
Old 20 March 2016, 09:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Worth a look.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lightning-cable/
Old 20 March 2016, 09:59 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

I've bought several Anker products for my android phones, are they're really good quality at reasonable prices. Most of their stuff come with 18 month guarantees to
Old 20 March 2016, 10:15 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Amazon sell a lightning adaptor to allow you to use any micro USB (android phones, etc) charger - it's an Amazon basics branded adaptor.
I use the lightning cables from poundland for my ipad.
Old 21 March 2016, 12:32 AM
Shax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
Amazon sell a lightning adaptor to allow you to use any micro USB (android phones, etc) charger - it's an Amazon basics branded adaptor.
The way forward!!!
Old 21 March 2016, 12:37 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The design where the cable comes out of the front of the plug is a bit pants, the later ones that exit underneath are a lot better. Maplin ones are a bit more robust

Shaun
Old 21 March 2016, 12:16 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

*Drawer*

Sorry - pet hate of mine.

Swati, the newer ones seem better, but I've also got a drawer full of them that I've accumulated over the years. Never had an issue with mine, byt Mrs DD has had a couple where the outer cover splits on the wire.
Old 21 March 2016, 12:38 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Now I know what that mysterious thud was around 5:30pm yesterday. The collective sound of thousands of NSR readers falling off their chairs in disbelief
Old 21 March 2016, 02:10 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Have always thought it a bit weird that the USB plug sticks out of the front as easier to snag. That said I have never needed a new one other than buying a spare lightning cable and plug for work. The old one got chewed by my cat when it was a kitten and is still going strong.
Old 21 March 2016, 05:59 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Devildog
*Drawer*

Swati, the newer ones seem better, but I've also got a drawer full of them that I've accumulated over the years. Never had an issue with mine, *byt* Mrs DD has had a couple where the outer cover splits on the wire.
Happens to the best of us
Old 21 March 2016, 06:12 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Thanks, Jack.

Originally Posted by pauld37
I've bought several Anker products for my android phones, are they're really good quality at reasonable prices. Most of their stuff come with 18 month guarantees to
And thanks for endorsing the suggestion for the Ankor products, Paul.

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
Well, with the one from eBay getting rejected by my iPhone, not sure if the Poundland one will be acceptable to it, but I can try. I'll only lose a pound, so hey.

Originally Posted by Midlife......
The design where the cable comes out of the front of the plug is a bit pants, the later ones that exit underneath are a lot better. Maplin ones are a bit more robust

Shaun
Oh, right! Now I understand what Jack would have meant by the design.

*Drawer*

Swati, the newer ones seem better, but I've also got a drawer full of them that I've accumulated over the years. Never had an issue with mine, byt Mrs DD has had a couple where the outer cover splits on the wire.
Ok. Midlife says the same, so it's good to know that Apple have improved them already, DD.

Originally Posted by markjmd
Now I know what that mysterious thud was around 5:30pm yesterday. The collective sound of thousands of NSR readers falling off their chairs in disbelief
Jack is a realist, deep down inside.

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Have always thought it a bit weird that the USB plug sticks out of the front as easier to snag. That said I have never needed a new one other than buying a spare lightning cable and plug for work. The old one got chewed by my cat when it was a kitten and is still going strong.
You're lucky with your chargers. Perhaps there is/was an quality inconsistency with the supply of such?

My cats also try to chew my iPhone cables, but I shoo them off.
Old 21 March 2016, 06:54 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Indeed, but mine was a slipped finger typo. What's your excuse - illiteracy?
Old 21 March 2016, 07:18 PM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Indeed, but mine was a slipped finger typo. What's your excuse - illiteracy?
Dunno, missed the r, auto corrected to draw rather than drawer?
Either that or it turns out I don't proof read everything I type.
I probably won't sleep tonight worrying that you think I don't know the difference.
Old 21 March 2016, 07:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

To be fair, DD did er in his #23. I think he was trying to confess something there and then. Ok, he missed an 'r' to her 'er' because he had butter fingers then, I'd take his 'er' as his confession and forgive him for picking on you.

I make lots of grammatical and spelling mistakes, madisonmonky, but I don't give monkeys about them! At the end of the day, like those old iPhone cables, we should pack some of the grammar rules and spellings etc. in some drawer and forget about them. We needn't bother with an I for an I on an iPhone thread.

Quick Reply: Apple iPhone Cable Misery