Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Smart Tv's and streaming movies via wifi

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2015, 09:55 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Tv's and streaming movies via wifi

Need a TV for my conservatory (now with proper roof) that allows me to stream my movies from my NAS box which uses twonky.

Had a quick look in Currys while at Meadowhell and the guy there says only LG and Samsung will stream, but not via wifi? I thought all smart tv's were DLNA and could do this via both ethernet and wifi? Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Wayne.
Old 29 October 2015, 12:52 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the salesman is getting mixed up; I recently purchased a Sony KDL-40w705c for the kitchen/diner which is smart. Apparently.

Wifi and Ethernet ports. Does DNLA off the NAS, stream stuff off YouTube and bbc/itv catchup etc.

BUT, it is so effing s l o w. Buffering, waiting for the streaming apps to load, and what it does show on my NAS isn't in any structured folders either...just everything alphabetically....meaning it takes several minutes just to view the listings...every time I access it.

It feels like it's powered by a 8086 cpu with 256kilobytes of ram and a tape drive.

On the bright side it supports miracast which works on any Microsoft PCs or android device. So use that to stream instead....apart from that can be a bit flakey too.

And the sound...just spent another £488 on speakers and amp for it...that's how poor it is. (Sound bars are too wide, and just sent back one speaker kit as it was poor too (£320 and no tweeters in the speakers ffs).

Nice picture though

So my advice is think about some other way to stream to the TV In case the built in Software/processing isn't up to the job.

Last edited by ALi-B; 29 October 2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 29 October 2015, 03:15 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

i've used Serviio successfully in terms of DNLA locally but Plex is awesome, I never had great results with the smart tv's in our home when using their built in apps like youtube etc, I think their processors are under powered, so always opted for using the smart features of say the ps3 or Ethernet equipped blueray player for catchup and DNLA streaming. However more recently and in my bedroom I'm most often using and loving chromecast into my dumb tv

Last edited by riiidaa; 29 October 2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 29 October 2015, 03:47 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

regards what the salesman might have been on about, the two smart tv's we got at the turn of 2013 were only wifi capable if you bought an additional usb dongle (manufacturer specific) though built in Ethernet was more common place.

Instead Chromecast / games console / ethernet bluray players however as mentioned before all run off HDMI. So be sure to get a TV with ideally 3 hdmi minimum to allow for future change of use / expansion

I opted for LG's at the time because I preferred the passive 3D approach, and in the price range as far as the screens in general they had superior viewing angle range than the similarly priced Samsungs which was important for where they were being used.

Last edited by riiidaa; 29 October 2015 at 03:56 AM.
Old 29 October 2015, 10:37 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a Sony Bluray player, the GUI looks the same as on a PS3 and it can read straight from my NAS and PC etc. and stream music, video and photos etc. to my tv. This also has Twonky on it. May be an alternative option for you.
Old 29 October 2015, 11:06 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
I have a Sony Bluray player, the GUI looks the same as on a PS3
yup like mine
Old 29 October 2015, 11:52 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the sony bravia kdl43w807csu, and I have no problems streaming YouTube, Netflix etc. Via wifi. Certainly no freezing or delayed buffering.
Old 29 October 2015, 11:58 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

All SMART TV/BRP, whilst being DNLA complient, do not all perform the same or have the same compatibility. Not all TV's have built in Wifi for a start. I find a fixed connection preferable anyway, so I'd suggest looking at using Home Plugs/Power Lines in your home network.

There are numerous free network servers to choose from: Twonky, Plex, Serviio, UMS etc. All have pros & cons. Some may work with some SMART H/W, others not.

For example, I use a Sony BRP to stream in the living room. This is because it's connected to my AVR via HDMI, wheras the Panny Plasma is only used as an output display and doesn't provide audio. The Sony won't play PLEX but will happily run Serviio once a couple of lines of code were adjusted.

I have a newer Panny LED in another room and that will play anything thrown at it, via any server software.

So be prepared to experiment with different servers to see what works best. Personally, I would buy the TV purely based on the picture quality. Everything else is just tinsel. Sure, the latest SMART features are nice but tech moves so quickly, that'll you'll quickly find your TV outdated. For SMART features I'd look at a BRP or similar. These are only a £100 or so and therefore not so much of an issue to update everything year or 2, if required.
Old 29 October 2015, 12:00 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Welloilbeefhooked
Need a TV for my conservatory (now with proper roof) that allows me to stream my movies from my NAS box which uses twonky.

Had a quick look in Currys while at Meadowhell and the guy there says only LG and Samsung will stream, but not via wifi? I thought all smart tv's were DLNA and could do this via both ethernet and wifi? Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Wayne.
How much do you want to spend and what size TV?
Old 29 October 2015, 12:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

I have a 4 yr old Samsung Smart TV, and I stream to wirelessly no problem.

In fact, in Windows 10, the built in video player will cast to it with no special software or codecs. I cast full 1080p .mkv s files to it with no buffering whatsoever.
Old 29 October 2015, 10:26 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
How much do you want to spend and what size TV?
TV size needs to fit a wall/column of 43" width so thought a 40" would look and fit ok. I dont want a curved screen but 4k would be ok but not essential.

Budget isn't an issue.

The problem is that I have all the cables in the wall so was trying to keep everything tidy and away from the kids. I already stream to my living room via an LG dvd player but wanted to avoid having additional hardware. Ive also only fitted a single gang socket, although I could make it a double. No ethernet points so would have to use a home plug behind the TV in the ammended double socket.

So what 40" TV's defo stream dlna via either wifi or ethernet?

Cheers for the help guys.
Old 29 October 2015, 10:41 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep no probs streaming to a sammy TV over wifi either here, i use Plex to stream from my main source which is a PC over DLNA, which also works to a PS4 hooked up to another TV (without DLNA), so i can stream different content to 2 TV's (or more if you wanted) at the sametime in different places in the house.