Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Android kodi boxes

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2015, 03:51 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Android kodi boxes

Im currently on the lookout for a router that can give me wifi and free tv, now im not very clued up on things like this as i normally had virgin and it done it all for me, ive been having a browse and come across a kodi box, has anyone got any info on these or has anyone got one and can help me out with info etc?

Basically i want one that can give me an internet connection to connect my tablets and phones too and have a descent selection of channels, movies, kids etc etc, but theres soo much too them it completely baffles me

Last edited by gazzawrx; 28 October 2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 26 October 2015, 04:09 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Im currently on the lookout for a router that can give me wifi and free tv, now im not very clued up on things like this as i normally had virgin and it done it all for me, ive been having a browse and come across a kodi box, has anyone got any info on these or has anyone got one and can help me out with info etc?

Basically i want one that can give me an internet connection to connect my tablets and phones too and have a descent selection of channels, movies, kids etc etc, but theres soo much too them it completely baffles me
Your ISP normally supplies your router, the Android/Kodi boxes are a bit like a mini computer that play streaming links,
so not one and the same thing.

hth
http://www.goggleboxtv.com/what-is-kodi-and-xbmc/
Old 26 October 2015, 04:29 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Your ISP normally supplies your router, the Android/Kodi boxes are a bit like a mini computer that play streaming links,
so not one and the same thing.

hth
http://www.goggleboxtv.com/what-is-kodi-and-xbmc/
I think that proves how uneducated on these things i really am, like i said im after something that can do the above and the kodi box seems to fit the bill, im just after some laymans terms info on them before i rush and buy one
Old 26 October 2015, 04:33 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Amazon firestick £35 bargain and they work well or the Amazon TV box at around £80.
There are plenty of boxes to choose from now which run kodi
You can also load kodi onto pc or Mac and set it up to link with your tv's

Last edited by ossett2k2; 26 October 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 26 October 2015, 04:51 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Also want to know about kodi boxes as after many years my mxbn box has shut down
Old 26 October 2015, 04:56 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

xbmc is now Kodi,
The boxes are Android OS and run the program called Kodi,

Tablets/phones/Pc`s will run Kodi and You Tube is full of "How to set up" videos,

The boxes are £25 + on the famous auction site,

Installing and set-up takes about 10 minutes if you are pausing the video and doing it.
Old 26 October 2015, 05:00 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Also want to know about kodi boxes as after many years my mxbn box has shut down
If you already have an xbmc box then you should have no problem loading kodi onto it and you'll be back up and running.
Old 26 October 2015, 05:04 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Amazon firestick £35 bargain and they work well or the Amazon TV box at around £80.
There are plenty of boxes to choose from now which run kodi
You can also load kodi onto pc or Mac and set it up to link with your tv's
Will the amazon firestick also give me an internet service?

Reason i mention this is whilst on holiday in spain ive had a box in the apartment that give me a wifi internet service and basically a freeview tv service but with more channels than you'd normally get on a standard freeview service on say your tv for example, its got me thinking that something like this at home would be ideal for me and the family to run tablets and phones on etc, the things ive seen on ebay are called kodi box's, now i understand that kodi is a programme you use and im wondering whether theres any other box's on the market that will give me the same service as i get in spain that are better than the ebay kodi box or is the kodi box the one to have?

Im not really fussed about initial cost of buying whichever box's as long as itll work out worth it, but is there a monthly cost on all the box's or just the sim ones and if there is other ones that dont use a sim and have no monthly charge does anyone know which ones they are because tbh i cant get my head round it all.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 26 October 2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 26 October 2015, 05:22 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if the zoomtek box is any good?
Old 26 October 2015, 05:40 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

xbmc is now Kodi,
The boxes are Android OS and run the program called Kodi,

Tablets/phones/Pc`s will run Kodi and You Tube is full of "How to set up" videos,

The boxes are £25 + on the famous auction site,

Installing and set-up takes about 10 minutes if you are pausing the video and doing it.
Or you can get some that are already completely set-up and will continuously update themselves, so you don't have to run a set-up every time there is a new version of Kodi.

There is a great range of UK and international channels available through different add-ons (which are like apps) so you can watch all sorts including $ky channels.

Essentially after the one-off cost of buying the box, your only other monthly cost is that of your broadband.
Old 26 October 2015, 05:56 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Or you can get some that are already completely set-up and will continuously update themselves, so you don't have to run a set-up every time there is a new version of Kodi.

There is a great range of UK and international channels available through different add-ons (which are like apps) so you can watch all sorts including $ky channels.

Essentially after the one-off cost of buying the box, your only other monthly cost is that of your broadband.
Some are charging £100 for a loaded box
Old 26 October 2015, 06:45 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
If you already have an xbmc box then you should have no problem loading kodi onto it and you'll be back up and running.
Cheers mate could not remember what it was called lol was faultless for years then the guy shut it down due to legal reasons, is it easy enough to install kodi software
Old 26 October 2015, 07:41 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Amazon fire stick is £35 from the shop without Kodi...you can get them pre done for £50 on the bay, I've also got it on a memory stick for the laptop which can tether off my phone too .
Old 26 October 2015, 07:46 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Very easy to load kodi on,guys selling pre loaded are taking the pi55 lol,only take a few mins to load and a few mins to set up
Old 26 October 2015, 08:48 PM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Your Internet provider should supply you a router which connects to your phone line and gives you wifi. But I don't think any uk company's offer one that has tv built in to it.

Yeah any device that runs android Linux, or Windows can run A program / App called kodi which will be your best option for tv.

Personally I sell Amazon Fire TV sticks with my own kodi set up, this gives you every film and tv show on demand as well as music, free view tv, sky sports, bt sports, and live sport events. And the adult stuff if you want that. Sometimes the people who host sky sports have issues with their servers so for Sky sports it isn't perfect. But for all the films and tv shows on demand it's perfect.

You can go through Google and find how to set something up similar yourself. If you need any help just ask.

Last edited by LoganS; 26 October 2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 26 October 2015, 10:23 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

if you want to not buy an android box or if you are happy to use your laptop and connect it to your tv then you can just download Kodi to your laptop / pad and watch using that - a few simple configurations later and you could be waters TV, films **** at the touch of a button.
We use Kodi on laptop here but have an android box at the villa.
Old 28 October 2015, 07:57 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Does any of these android boxes come with their own internet connection/capability, i.e say off a pay monthly data package sim card slotted into the box or monthly subscription so it can use its own internet service/connection to update itself?

I have no wifi/ethernet internet connection at home, im currently using 4g through my tablet via an EE sim card and a 10gb monthly data allowance. If i can id like to get one working on the same principal as my tablet that if needed i can connect my tablet too via a wifi connection to said android box.
Old 28 October 2015, 08:02 AM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Does any of these android boxes come with their own internet connection/capability, i.e say off a pay monthly data package sim card slotted into the box or monthly subscription so it can use its own internet service/connection to update itself?

I have no wifi/ethernet internet connection at home, im currently using 4g through my tablet via an EE sim card and a 10gb monthly data allowance. If i can id like to get one working on the same principal as my tablet that if needed i can connect my tablet too via a wifi connection to said android box.
Can you plug your tablet in to HDMI? If so just get kodi on your tablet
Old 28 October 2015, 08:20 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LoganS
Can you plug your tablet in to HDMI? If so just get kodi on your tablet
Unfortunatley no, that the thing, i also dont want to use up my 10gb of data on my tablet as i use it for surfing the web, daughters homework etc etc, thats why id like to have a box that can have its own dedicated internet connection i.e 15-20gb data allowance sim card fitted so i dont use my tablets allowance, but if say i do use up my 10gb data id then also like to connect my tablet to the box through wifi and be able to use the box's internet connection if needed.

It dosen't have to be a sim card internet service, ideally id like a pay monthly or a big one off payment unlimited service because as a family we do watch a lot of films and box sets, so id like to not have to worry about running the data out.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 28 October 2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 28 October 2015, 08:34 AM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Unfortunatley no, that the thing, i also dont want to use up my 10gb of data on my tablet as i use it for surfing the web, daughters homework etc etc, thats why id like to have a box that can have its own dedicated internet connection i.e 15-20gb data allowance sim card fitted so i dont use my tablets allowance, but if say i do use up my 10gb data id then also like to connect my tablet to the box through wifi and be able to use the box's internet connection if needed.

It dosen't have to be a sim card internet service, ideally id like a pay monthly or a big one off payment unlimited service because as a family we do watch a lot of films and box sets, so id like to not have to worry about running the data out.
You might be better off asking on AVforums or somewhere like that but I would imagine you could have an android box and plug a usb dongle in to it that will take a SIM card and provide it with Internet and then set up a wifi hotspot on the android device.

Or don't EE, three, o2 and Vodafone all sell mobile hotspots? It's just like a little box that takes a SIM card and you connect to it through wifi to access the web? This would be better and then you can use any device with it straight out of the box, no messing about.

Last edited by LoganS; 28 October 2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 28 October 2015, 08:44 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LoganS
You might be better off asking on AVforums or somewhere like that but I would imagine you could have an android box and plug a usb dongle in to it that will take a SIM card and provide it with Internet and then set up a wifi hotspot on the android device.

Or don't EE, three, o2 and Vodafone all sell mobile hotspots? It's just like a little box that takes a SIM card and you connect to it through wifi to access the web? This would be better and then you can use any device with it straight out of the box, no messing about.
Yeah, there is a few knowledgable chaps on here regarding stuff like this so ill no doubt get the options here anyway

Ill look into the mobile hotspot setup as i have no idea tbh, i was hoping it would be a simple case of buy the box, fit it to my tv, set it up and off i go, im not very good with this tech malarkey
Old 28 October 2015, 10:37 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

why not get broadband at home so all the family can use it for phones/laptops/tablet,
it isnt complicated as millions have it and it is VERY cheap for ADSL, some are even supplying it free,

then just buy a box, why complicate it and restrict internet usage at home ?
Old 28 October 2015, 10:42 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

why not get broadband at home so all the family can use it for phones/laptops/tablet,
it isnt complicated as millions have it and it is VERY cheap for ADSL, some are even supplying it free,

then just buy a box, why complicate it and restrict internet usage at home ?
Its not a case of restricting usage, its not restricted at the minute which is why im after a box with its own connection/data allowance to save restricting it.

I did have virgin broadband for a while but i got tired of paying for a service that new customers were getting for £30 cheaper and my parents had sky and the customer service was terrible so i have no intention of trying them.

Last edited by gazzawrx; 28 October 2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 28 October 2015, 12:12 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got experience with the new g box?
Old 28 October 2015, 06:57 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

So just to check an android tablet with hdmi out such as a hudl2 will do the job? And to avoid the high horse brigade I have SkyGo so already paid for the content but the xbox is notoriously slow at navigating around on SkyGo so i'd be just interested to see if the kodi method is a smoother experience.
Old 28 October 2015, 07:13 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
So just to check an android tablet with hdmi out such as a hudl2 will do the job? And to avoid the high horse brigade I have SkyGo so already paid for the content but the xbox is notoriously slow at navigating around on SkyGo so i'd be just interested to see if the kodi method is a smoother experience.
Yup that'll work
Old 28 October 2015, 07:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

< SNIP!! >

OK, seeing I'm no legal eagle, I had to seek advice and do a crash course in order to gain the correct facts. What didn't help was wasting time dealing with troll threads where the time (my short lunch break) would have otherwise been spent researching the legality in order to address the legal complaints within this thread.

What is legal:

Android boxes
Kodi
"some" Apps on Kodi

In a nutshell there are legitimate and legal uses for all the above, indeed I've used Kodi on a nettop to stream content within my house from my NAS, it also has access to other services like Youtube and live DVB recording (if you have a DVB tuner).

What's NOT legal:

Streaming content from a source which the copyright holder hasn't given permission.

"Usually" that will be content that you'd expect to pay for which you are streaming for free or for a vastly reduced amount.

So, advice on what apps, or services to use within Kodi are not allowed on here which means the posts relating to this will have to be removed.

What is also not allowed on these forums is to troll because we're a bit slow off the mark in moderating the offending posts: Two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 28 October 2015, 07:37 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and it's also wrong to pretend to be on the right side of the law all of the time and preach to others like butter wouldn't melt, when in fact that is not the case! See if this 3rd post gets deleted now...seems some people can make a point an others not!
Old 28 October 2015, 08:02 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oopherbum
Which the above boxes do, therefore they should be classed as illegal and threads like this should not exist.
No they are a means to stream content most of it legal and yeh some not so( depending on what apps installed), its not illegal to own or use one ,its the streaming host that is responsible for the content and a choice of content the owner chooses to watch.
Old 28 October 2015, 08:19 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Which brings me to my original question, do any of these box's have the capability to have their own internet connection in order to update the box as and when needed and for me to connect to using wifi should the need arise?

Quick Reply: Android kodi boxes