Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

For the last 8 years I've recommended Apple

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2015, 09:23 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default For the last 8 years I've recommended Apple

This is why.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/...40-of-pc-users
Old 17 October 2015, 01:09 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has definitely always been their strength as an OS designed around 1 piece of hardware just works better. Was always the strength of products like the C64, Amiga, Atari ST, etc etc. The biggest strength of Windows (compatibility) was always it's weakness.
Old 17 October 2015, 02:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yup. I'm hopeful for the new management at Microsoft, the laptop is very much a step in the right direction, slightly worried they went in too high end but they most likely had to to have a hope.
Old 17 October 2015, 07:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Won't that be more down to people are more computer savvy when they decide to pay the extra for a Mac whereas anyone with no PCs experience is given a Windows laptop.
Old 17 October 2015, 07:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

What if they gave everyone a Mac, they don't always cost more.
Old 17 October 2015, 08:47 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
What if they gave everyone a Mac, they don't always cost more.

You can pick a new windows laptop/netbook for £200 and under. How many old people have you heard of getting online 1st time with a Mac. Places like Currys will sell laptops to people who have no idea how to turn them on never mind use one.
Old 17 October 2015, 08:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

http://flip.it/Eprru
Old 17 October 2015, 08:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

and thats a unbiast report on an isheep site init,,,,,,, lol

no information about tasks being carried out, what there being used for etc etc

It could also be because apple machines are aimed at simpletons cos they dont have the ability to set up their own machine hahahaha
Old 17 October 2015, 10:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevebt
You can pick a new windows laptop/netbook for £200 and under. How many old people have you heard of getting online 1st time with a Mac. Places like Currys will sell laptops to people who have no idea how to turn them on never mind use one.
This is 2015 anyone buying a ****ty laptop for an old person isn't helping them, get them an iPad.
Old 17 October 2015, 10:17 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
and thats a unbiast report on an isheep site init,,,,,,, lol

no information about tasks being carried out, what there being used for etc etc

It could also be because apple machines are aimed at simpletons cos they dont have the ability to set up their own machine hahahaha
Oh dear. You crack on with your ability to set up a machine, bravo, leave us doing things.
Old 17 October 2015, 10:26 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Wow.................if anyone was wondering why people get taken "the **** out of" for their "allegiance" to a brand then this thread demonstrates it in spades.....

Last edited by Fabioso; 17 October 2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 17 October 2015, 11:45 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Fabioso
Wow.................if anyone was wondering why people get taken "the **** out of" for their "allegiance" to a brand then this thread demonstrates it in spades.....
It's an idiot test and you and Todgy passed with flying colors.
Old 17 October 2015, 11:59 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Isn't Apple heading the way of Microsoft by providing legacy support for its older products; If they carry on like they are doing now, in ten years time they'll be in the same boat Microsoft is in.

The endless updates and bug fixes must be a reflection of this; Apple didn't use to be that problematic.
Old 18 October 2015, 12:00 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Oh dear. You crack on with your ability to set up a machine, bravo, leave us doing things.
its more a case of i want to do what i want to do, not what they want me todo.

you carry on with your crapple worhsip
Old 18 October 2015, 05:10 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

It's an idiot test and you and Todgy passed with flying colors.
Oooooo marvellous!!
Old 18 October 2015, 09:43 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Won't that be more down to people are more computer savvy when they decide to pay the extra for a Mac whereas anyone with no PCs experience is given a Windows laptop.
No, my parents got a mac and they are just less hassle, things just work because they are specifically designed to work on that machine.

Less hassle doesn't mean better, but much easier to support, however most of the software I use isn't available on MAC so I stick with windows.
Old 18 October 2015, 09:53 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Isn't Apple heading the way of Microsoft by providing legacy support for its older products; If they carry on like they are doing now, in ten years time they'll be in the same boat Microsoft is in.

The endless updates and bug fixes must be a reflection of this; Apple didn't use to be that problematic.
Maybe in a century or two of the current hardware release shedule assuming support is maintained for all hardware.

Personally I never see updates and problematic, not getting updates, that's a problem.
Old 18 October 2015, 09:56 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Galifrey
No, my parents got a mac and they are just less hassle, things just work because they are specifically designed to work on that machine.

Less hassle doesn't mean better, but much easier to support, however most of the software I use isn't available on MAC so I stick with windows.
8 years ago Apple started using Intel chips, that was the turning point for me, I was fine with a PowerPC but others really needed Windows and at that point they could dual boot.
Old 18 October 2015, 10:45 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

And that is why Apple will never make an impact in an enterprise environment. Also most of these devices will be managed under a Wintel infrastructure, OSX Server can't compete with Microsoft/VMWare and likely never will make any in roads to into that area because it's a mediocre product. In most cases most Apple devices are merely secondary devices to Wintel devices.

Alternatively, drop OSX for Windows 10 as it "unequivocally" runs better than OSX on Apple's own hardware.

Last edited by jonc; 18 October 2015 at 11:02 AM.
Old 18 October 2015, 10:51 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Maybe in a century or two of the current hardware release shedule assuming support is maintained for all hardware.

Personally I never see updates and problematic, not getting updates, that's a problem.
It wasn't that long ago that you ridiculed Windows and its users for its frequent updates!
Old 18 October 2015, 11:03 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You passed Jon. I'd suggest reading the article, it completely contradicts your opinion.
Old 18 October 2015, 11:05 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
And that is why Apple will never make an impact in an enterprise environment. Also most of these devices will be managed under a Wintel infrastructure, OSX Server can't compete with Microsoft/VMWare and likely never will make any in roads to into that area because it's a mediocre product. In most cases most Apple devices are merely secondary devices to Wintel devices.

Alternatively, drop OSX for Windows 10 as it "unequivocally" runs better than OSX on Apple's own hardware.
Here you go, save you reading the article you're commenting on.

"IBM officials said in July that they plan to deploy some 50,000 MacBooks to employees by the end of 2015. Final adoption numbers at the company are expected to be between 150,000 and 200,000 units."
Old 18 October 2015, 11:24 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I meant enterprise environments generally. Sure IBM are trying to make a case for it since they are in partnership with Apple and think there is hole in the market for this are selling a service for integrating Apple devices into existing enterprise infrastructure, doesn't mean everyone will go down this root. For some the numbers will not stack up to make it a viable possibility.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3578...-make-the-case

Last edited by jonc; 18 October 2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 18 October 2015, 12:01 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Looking a little deeper into this, what IBM are doing and using themselves as an example, is offering integration surrounding mobile computing and not actually replacing PCs with Macs. Whilst IBM are offering a choice of PC or Mac for their employees (and, let's face it, who wouldn't pick a nice brand new and expensive company Mac given the choice!), this also inclludes BYOD. Also whilst there are some business apps that will be offered natively, I would say the majority of the computing will be done via virtualised applications and/or remotely through VDI which will be a Windows environment in any case.
Old 18 October 2015, 12:08 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

You passed Jon. I'd suggest reading the article, it completely contradicts your opinion.
The article his hardly unbiased, why don't you try looking at a non-Apple fan site and look at it from and industry wide point of view.
Old 18 October 2015, 12:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You crack on burying your head in the sand. Luckily I doubt you have any IT responsibility.
Old 18 October 2015, 12:21 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

So you've recommeded Apple for the last eight years, to whom exactly?

Last edited by jonc; 18 October 2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 18 October 2015, 06:11 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Yeah I guess he missed that bit haha.

Less helpdesk support needed is a good saving for a company, and Macs can be locked down enough for most corporate needs. As they get more popular they will get better with improved software.

Microsoft saw this moment coming hence why they are shifting focus to other revenue streams and windows is getting a whole lot cheaper, even free in many cases.
Old 18 October 2015, 06:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
So you've recommeded Apple for the last eight years, to whom exactly?
Buy a Mac Jon, there you go that's everyone.
Old 18 October 2015, 07:22 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Yeah I guess he missed that bit haha.

Less helpdesk support needed is a good saving for a company, and Macs can be locked down enough for most corporate needs. As they get more popular they will get better with improved software.

Microsoft saw this moment coming hence why they are shifting focus to other revenue streams and windows is getting a whole lot cheaper, even free in many cases.
Less helpdesk support need, have you stopped to think why that might be?

What other revenue streams? Microsoft aren't changing the way they licence Windows clients, the revenue stream will still come in from OEM licensing and it certainly isn't free. Also Microsoft products will still be covered under volume and enterprise agreements for a long while. If you've ever worked in a large enterprise environment you'd know this, there are no "free" products.

Last edited by jonc; 18 October 2015 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: For the last 8 years I've recommended Apple