Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Racist smart watch

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2015, 04:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Racist smart watch

Looks like Apples new watch is a little bit of a racist

Darker-coloured artwork and even changes in darker coloured skin types can fool the light sensors on the back of the watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32537030
Old 01 May 2015, 05:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Worse title ever.

Apple watch has trouble with very dark tattoo's in the area where the reading is taken, that's not an apple problem it's a physics problem.

Now, on to the racist title, have a read of the article you posted

"Several smartwatches and wearable fitness devices that use similar sensor technology have also been reported to struggle when worn on darker coloured skin. In these cases the amount of light reflected back from deeper-coloured pigmentation of the skin is less than the device is calibrated for."

I'm not saying that the Apple Watch won't have the same problem but calling Apple Racist over problems reported with other devices is very weak.
Old 01 May 2015, 05:58 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My word, when did you have your sense of humour surgically removed?

Apple watch wearers are fine - they're mostly sat in an office furious prodding their new wrist device pretending they've just run somewhere.

Those with a tan or tattoos wouldn't be seen dead with such a girly wrist piece.
Old 01 May 2015, 06:25 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Worse title ever.

Apple watch has trouble with very dark tattoo's in the area where the reading is taken, that's not an apple problem it's a physics problem.

"Several smartwatches and wearable fitness devices that use similar sensor technology have also been reported to struggle when worn on darker coloured skin. In these cases the amount of light reflected back from deeper-coloured pigmentation of the skin is less than the device is calibrated for."

I'm not saying that the Apple Watch won't have the same problem but calling Apple Racist over problems reported with other devices is very weak.
uh, the watch dont work, therefore it is an apple problem lol

show a distinct lack of testing since they didnt know before hand.

Another chinese made, over priced crapple product
Old 01 May 2015, 07:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Title is smart watch, but BBC website says Apple headline It's tattoos and DARK SKIN colour which seems a little racist to me as it works on white people
Old 01 May 2015, 10:28 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh hey Mattee, where have you been?
Old 02 May 2015, 04:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I've heard of issues with prosthetic arms too, those *******s at Apple discriminating against chav tattoos and one armed bandits.
Old 04 May 2015, 12:18 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

SO basically, whilst the specifics of the watch's operational issues can be argued (as can all other manufacturers), the one thing that appears irrefutable is this:-

P1SS poor R&D. You're telling me NOBODY thought to check if this would be an issue????

Of course, the other aspect would be that of COURSE they checked. They went ahead with the "fault" anyway.
This builds up publicity in the outrage.
The manufacturer announces a BIG update/recall (with a few other extras), and turns the whole thing around in a PR spin

Personally, (as I type this on my MacBook Pro, looking at both ipad & iphone and the other Apple resources in my house), I wouldn't be seen DEAD in an Apple Watch.
Not because of (dated) technology in it, but I see a watch as a piece of jewellery. Not a walking calculator!

#nerd

Wearable tech has a LONG way to go yet IMHO.
Old 04 May 2015, 04:04 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, it probably counts as aspirational to be the white middle class in Apples book

And thus able to throw away cash on a fancy wristband
Old 04 May 2015, 06:55 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

If I want to "look good" for Apple watch money, I'd look at Christopher Ward, Longines or other lowish price automatic watches.

I really want the new Tudor North Flag but I absolutely do not need it!
Old 04 May 2015, 09:41 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Those will look great with your tan and black tattooed wrist. Very manly.
Old 05 May 2015, 07:30 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

The same will be said for those early adopters of an already out-of-date piece of wearable tech (not just Apple's offering).
It will look like what it is: a£400 piece of dated tat.
That you have to decide when to wear, as it can't go too long without charging.

No doubt, plenty of people will buy/have bought one. Each to their own. Just not for me.
Awful thing. I'll stick to my bits of Apple tech that are actually very good.

But I've said the wrong thing in Jack's forum (election week: vote to change the sub-forum name?)
Old 06 May 2015, 07:06 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hang on, firstly I thought Apple was above the rest? secondly just because other watches are racist doesn't mean Apple isn't you would have thought, such a customer based and caring company would have tested the watch.. maybe?

If the report had been Android based you would have been all over it and that is the problem with the Apple vs Android fanboys, Apple are blinded and completely dominated by the brand name, regardless of the product.
Old 06 May 2015, 09:30 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The reports of optical heart rate monitors not working on dark skin were not for the Apple Watch, maybe you should read before ranting.

It's downright hilarious that you think the Watch was not tested, shows your level of understanding.

Last edited by JackClark; 06 May 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06 May 2015, 09:52 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Tested on the target audience I'm sure !

I'm sure its problem with the technology for this type of sensor
Old 06 May 2015, 10:22 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Do you plonkers think black people are white people with all over tattoo's?
Old 06 May 2015, 10:32 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

deleted as I feel better now I've said that
Old 07 May 2015, 07:33 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

The reports of optical heart rate monitors not working on dark skin were not for the Apple Watch, maybe you should read before ranting.

It's downright hilarious that you think the Watch was not tested, shows your level of understanding.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-properly.html

Erm.. you sure?

My level of understanding? product released, issue with certain types of body / skin type .. sounds like a testing issue to me.
Old 07 May 2015, 07:58 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-properly.html

Erm.. you sure?

My level of understanding? product released, issue with certain types of body / skin type .. sounds like a testing issue to me.
Not working on Black tattoo's doesn't even need testing, it doesn't work on false arms and probably doesn't work on various other fringe cases, people like you are the reason McDonalds have to tell you their coffee is hot.

Virgin broadband doesn't work on the Macintosh Classic, should I call support or rant because Virgin didn't tell me it doesn't work if you don't have ethernet.... even though I don't own one. Grow the **** up.
Old 08 May 2015, 07:12 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Not working on Black tattoo's doesn't even need testing, it doesn't work on false arms and probably doesn't work on various other fringe cases, people like you are the reason McDonalds have to tell you their coffee is hot.

Virgin broadband doesn't work on the Macintosh Classic, should I call support or rant because Virgin didn't tell me it doesn't work if you don't have ethernet.... even though I don't own one. Grow the **** up.

Wow, what an angry man you are .. comparing someone with tattoo's to someone with a false arm .. this is a new level of Apple blindness.

It's rare I feel genuinely sorry for someone online, I truly hope you're a 15 year old trolling us.
Old 08 May 2015, 09:48 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Wow, what an angry man you are .. comparing someone with tattoo's to someone with a false arm .. this is a new level of Apple blindness.

It's rare I feel genuinely sorry for someone online, I truly hope you're a 15 year old trolling us.
Wake the **** up Pimmo, you've been here a long time and this is I think the first time I've thought you're a ****.

You're calling me out for my false arm comment but lumping black people in with people with black tattoo is fine? Yes that makes me angry.
Old 08 May 2015, 10:24 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Wake the **** up Pimmo, you've been here a long time and this is I think the first time I've thought you're a ****.

You're calling me out for my false arm comment but lumping black people in with people with black tattoo is fine? Yes that makes me angry.
Jack is outraged. And if jack is outraged then I am outraged. Outraged I tell ya!!!!!

Jack probably went straight to his bedroom and slapped about his pillow with the Steve Jobs cover on it

Jack have you ever sat there thinking that you would love to be able to wear your Apple watch as a cockring?
Old 08 May 2015, 10:38 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Jack is outraged. And if jack is outraged then I am outraged. Outraged I tell ya!!!!!

Jack probably went straight to his bedroom and slapped about his pillow with the Steve Jobs cover on it

Jack have you ever sat there thinking that you would love to be able to wear your Apple watch as a cockring?
All in your mind son. Get help.
Old 09 May 2015, 08:54 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure you even know what you're arguing about any more?
Old 09 May 2015, 09:14 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I'm not sure you even know what you're arguing about any more?
Arguing, there's no arguing, you're ranting because heart rate sensors don't work with black tattoos, some idiots are assuming this includes black people, I'm just telling it straight, it doesn't work on black wrist tattoos, doesn't work on false arms but does work on black people. For some reason you're trying to call me out for that and you're failing.
Old 09 May 2015, 10:25 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Arguing, there's no arguing, you're ranting because heart rate sensors don't work with black tattoos, some idiots are assuming this includes black people, I'm just telling it straight, it doesn't work on black wrist tattoos, doesn't work on false arms but does work on black people. For some reason you're trying to call me out for that and you're failing.

I'm not calling you anywhere, but you might want to look into the BS you're posting..

http://natmonitor.com/2015/04/30/who...-black-people/

http://bossip.com/1137485/race-matte...but-heres-why/

No one has officially proven either way (that I've read) but you'd expect Apple to have come out and squashed this if it weren't true.

Valencell, which makes the heart monitor sensors used by companies that make wearables, said in the report that this is correct, and the sensors on its beam a green light onto the skin that penetrates the first layers of skin and measures bloodflow. However, the ink of tattoos often absorbs this green light.

But it's not just those who are inked up: it's possible the watch won't work as well for those with darker skin, as green light can be absorbed by the skin for people with a higher content of melanin, meaning that black people may have trouble operating the watches as intended. The darker the skin, the less likely the sensors will be able to capture the data with more "noise," according to the report.
Old 09 May 2015, 11:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Why would they squash something that's nothing to do with them? They have a great return policy of it doesn't work for you. By all accounts the heart rate monitor is better that expected, yet you focus on a fringe case just to find something negative. Pitiful.
Old 10 May 2015, 10:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Anyway Apparently you need to wear em so tight to get accurate readings they are uncomfortable
Old 10 May 2015, 10:54 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Probably almost as tight as the twine on jacks little toe , waiting for a bite
Old 11 May 2015, 07:27 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Why would they squash something that's nothing to do with them? They have a great return policy of it doesn't work for you. By all accounts the heart rate monitor is better that expected, yet you focus on a fringe case just to find something negative. Pitiful.

Pitiful? they would surely seek to supply the same "excellent" service to all customers.

But no you're right, if there's only a small number of people impacted it's not worth their time .. idiot

Quick Reply: Racist smart watch