Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Well its 27Inch retina Mac day

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2015, 08:39 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Well its 27Inch retina Mac day

well today it gets delivered all being well, it shipped from Dublin and will be my first true venture into a Mac Opsys, have ipads and Iphones but not the system stuff.

I will however try bootcamp it lets see.

I also ordered Daughter Mac Book Air, and for some reason that's been built in China, ive been following it

China Bejing
Plane broke down delayed
onto Japan
Japan to Alaska Ankorage
to be continued..... Update Louisiana.

keep your eye on ebay I,ll prob sell it after a week lol

Last edited by Littleted; 04 February 2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04 February 2015, 09:22 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Can always stick windows on it
Old 04 February 2015, 09:47 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

yeah hence the bootcamp, However I will try Parallels as I see it plays most games ok even though its virtual.

I see issues with Bootcamp and the 3TB fusion drives, lets see
Old 04 February 2015, 12:42 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Bootcamp will be fine, it creates the windows partition on the normal HD, so it's not as fast as it could be.

VirtualBox is free and does everything I need on my old machines, should fly on yours.
Old 05 February 2015, 11:44 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you ordered the iMac, do you remember if it stated "In stock", could explain why it shipped from Dublin, rather than having to be specifically configured and shipped from elsewhere (China presumably).

That could also explain why the Macbook is coming from China too, right out of the factory.

Sounds like it is (was, hopefully moved by now!) in one of the major hubs in the US, so should hopefully be flying across soon.
Old 08 February 2015, 10:21 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

I maybe thought of the weight Markus laptop is only 3.11 kg iMac was well over 10, but your prob right, build I think of,this one was NOV 2014 so stamp says on side.

I have to say after a week with it messing with software fusion and parallels I've finally gone for parallels and I have everything I need for work, both on windows boot camp and in Mac world.

It is nice I've a lot to do and learn yet but I can safely say although it runs a mobile version of the ati 295 it's as fast as my desktop R290 and processor wise faster.

Can't recommend it enough plays all my games perfectly, only issue I had was rebooting after doing a memtest I found out the crucial memory was faulty so that's gone back. I'm now waiting for the new stuff. Fingers crossed this will be fine if it isn't then I,lol log a call with Apple as the slots may be duff.... But most prob memory
Old 09 February 2015, 12:14 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Glad you are liking it so far. The GPU on my machine is getting worse as the days go by, so I think a new machine will be ordered come the end of Feb.

Give this a read: http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202731

Well worth running through that to see if the slots have a problem, my guess it could just be a bad batch of RAM, but if you run it again, with the new RAM and it still throws up a problem then you'll know it's not likely the memory.
Old 12 February 2015, 08:01 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Having a right mare with crucial memory I orderd 16gb and added it to the already present 8gb and rebooted every so often.. I ran memtest and it threw lots of errors up. I retired crucial under RMA got new today and same again...

I remove Apple 8gb and pop 16 in same slots and it passes all tests its when I mix them it doesn't like it.

I've ordered another 16 so I have pure crucial and will report back, failing that I'll retunrn it all and get my money back, and try Kingston....weird
Old 15 February 2015, 10:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Did you just get one single 16GB chip, or two 8GB chips?

If it's a single then that might be the reason, as you'd have two slots, each with an 8GB in it, and then a single out of a pair of slots with a single 16GB in it.

Technically it should not matter. There's something about running / installing in pairs, but it that should not cause the issues you are seeing.

The other thing is to check the specs of the crucial ram against the apple ram and see if there is any difference there.
Old 15 February 2015, 10:26 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

All the same Mark, also a pair of 8s so yes I'd agree with you also, but the forums seemed to be littered with them... Anyway it's runnng fine now with 32gb.

Think the vga card is the weak part to be honest no game will run well at 5k and even at 1920 it's ok but no as good as the R290 card I have in the PC it also runs at 97degrees on full tilt....

Good for video editing but to run 5k game your gonna need tri sli titans to get anything worth playing