Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

4k tv

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2015, 06:43 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 4k tv

I have just done a nice job for someone and find myself with a little cash so I'm very tempted to pop into Currys and buy a 4k tv? I remember seeing earlier this year that some models of 4k tv are the 1st gen models and won't support future broadcasts sort of similar to 720p vs 1080p.

Are all the models out now the 2nd gen version and can someone recommend a good model to get that is no more than £2k cheaper would be better I know I can get a 55" for £1k but is it worth paying the extra grand for a 65"?
Old 13 February 2015, 07:35 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're referring to the HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0 scenario. Most 4K TVs today only come with HDMI 1.4 ports I think. Full support for 4K is only possible with HDMI 2.0 ports which not many TVs have yet.

Unless you need a new TV I'd probably hold off for a bit until the BBC, Sky etc announce what they're doing with 4K. Apart from some upscaling, I think you'd struggle to find anything to play in 4K right now.
Old 13 February 2015, 08:02 PM
Jaysz
Scooby Regular

Just seen a 55" 4 k tv watching 720p through it and motion was not smooth and picture was not sharp looked just like been zoomed digitally to fill screen
I wouldnt even buy
Old 13 February 2015, 08:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LostUser

Unless you need a new TV I'd probably hold off for a bit until the BBC, Sky etc announce what they're doing with 4K. Apart from some upscaling, I think you'd struggle to find anything to play in 4K right now.

I know of plenty sites that have LOTS of 4k movies for download I also have Netflix and they do it, so the broadcast issue is the problem for future?

Last edited by stevebt; 13 February 2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 14 February 2015, 01:14 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I didn't think there were any official 4K "box office" films yet. They've released a few 4K-Mastered films where the source was 4K but the output is still 1080P on bluray.

Netflix do have very limited 4K content I believe which you need to pay extra for. The quality of the 4K from Netflix is supposed to be quite variable.

Yes I think the broadcast situation is still to be decided. I've no idea what the latest is on that. I'm sure Sky would need to supply new boxes for example.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the TV and what 4K content you can find.
Old 14 February 2015, 03:36 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been using YouTube loads on there, Netflix only works to TVs they won't stream to a PC or Mac as they think where all pikeys and will record it. I upgraded to the 8.99 a month 4k package and I couldn't stream to my retina 5k Mac so had to use YouTube.

My next Tv if any will be a Sony.
Old 16 February 2015, 09:15 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not be surprised if they jump to 8k instead 4k, they will avoid 4k in next gen consoles(now 1080p max) when now pc's get powerfull graphic cards to play on 4k screen and we need to wait 5years for next gens.
Old 16 February 2015, 11:10 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fawor
I would not be surprised if they jump to 8k instead 4k, they will avoid 4k in next gen consoles(now 1080p max) when now pc's get powerfull graphic cards to play on 4k screen and we need to wait 5years for next gens.
but you lot only have 14 inch portable tvs to watch while im waiting for my car to be cleaned, so hurry up 8k i say
Old 16 February 2015, 11:51 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw the 8k stuff.

I don't see the point on a laptop screen, I doubt youd see the benefit, but I suppose time will tell.

The MAC stuff is pin sharp as it is I cant see where itll go from there. ESP in a laptop they overheat as it is in high end gaming. 8k will melt it, unless they drop new chip sizes in and stem the heat...