Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Are all hp printers wank

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2015, 10:16 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Are all hp printers ****

Had a b110 wireless all in one printer, kept dropping off line.
Foolishly replaced it with a photo(not)smart 5520, because it uses the same ink that we had a quantity of, and this again is just as bad.

None of our iPads or iPhones will recognise it as an air printer (they have recognised both in the past) if I try and print via the laptop it tells me that the printer is not switched on when it is. All I.p addresses have been put in and cross checked, the hub is next to the printer and have tried printing with various devises next to the hub and printer.
My android phone with hp print app used to print occasionally but will not pick up the printer. Seems many people have trouble when I google hp printers.

I am not too clever when it comes to technology, so any help in simple, easy to understand terms would be greatly appreciated, I have many invoices I need to print off but can't.
Old 15 January 2015, 10:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not an Hp forte imo, I still have one upstairs never use it should skip it

Canon do printing ok
Old 15 January 2015, 11:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes.

Last good/durable/economic ink jet they made was the Deskjet 720

Funnily enough our franking machine takes the same print cartridge out of one (just uses red magnetic ink instead)
Old 16 January 2015, 08:31 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HP laserjets are great workhorse printers, the deskjets are a bit hit and miss, some good, some poor.
but then I'm not again I'm not a fan of any inkjet printers, especially those that get infrequently used. Wireless printing - argh !
Old 16 January 2015, 08:39 AM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
The HP laserjets are great workhorse printers
Manufactured by Canon
Old 16 January 2015, 11:39 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Probably tempting fate but our CP1515n laserjet has been very good but the toner costs are a bit of a killer. About £70 x 4. They do last a while though.

I hate all inkjets - tried all sorts and they seem to be okay for about a year then they die.
Old 16 January 2015, 04:06 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

A year! Only had this one a couple of months, in that time I think we have only been able to print something once via apple air print, and since won't recognise it. After setting it up when I installed the device software on the laptop I then had to have a chat with hp support, who then had to take control of my laptop, but still didn't get it to work. I did manage to get it to work later that evening, but since have only managed to get it to print from the laptop twice. It printed from my phone twice but that won't recognise it any more.
Right pita, not to mention stuff I need to print off for work and my wife's business, all forms and letters from kids schools are sent by email and need printing off as well.

Seems to me that these things are not fit for purpose.
Old 16 January 2015, 04:47 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Funny enough, I have the photosmart 5520 and don't have the problems you mention.
I don't use it very often so in standby all the time but fires up every time I print.
Old 16 January 2015, 05:06 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Funny enough, I have the photosmart 5520 and don't have the problems you mention.
I don't use it very often so in standby all the time but fires up every time I print.
I have the same one and mine has been great too. Ink costs quite reasonable as well.
Old 16 January 2015, 05:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an HP printer and it works fine even when I change the ink, I got sick of buying Epson printers though as every time I changed the ink the printer stopped working and that was even using genuine cartridges.
Old 16 January 2015, 05:22 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes they are. Every one I've had has been crap and the ones at work are crap also.
Old 16 January 2015, 05:41 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pflowers
I have the same one and mine has been great too. Ink costs quite reasonable as well.
If you take your old ink cartridges to staples you get discount off new ink.
Old 16 January 2015, 06:22 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Always leave mine on standby, and it always says it is wifi connected but the computer says no!
If you take your old ink cartridges to staples you get discount off new ink.
Yes they do, when the decker shave it in stock!

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 16 January 2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Edit: feckers have it. ****ing auto correct!
Old 16 January 2015, 07:19 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Always leave mine on standby, and it always says it is wifi connected but the computer says no!

Yes they do, when the decker shave it in stock!
there may lie your problem?

Mine is used via ipad/iPhone etc, havnt tried it on laptop as it hardly gets used nowadays.

Tbh, I bought some cheap one before, think it was cannon or Epsom or something and I had to take it back because I couldn't work the bloody thing, plugged the hp in and there was hardly anything todo, all fired up with no problems. Very user friendly.
You may have a dodgy one? As I am happy with mine, faultless!
Old 16 January 2015, 09:46 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Did you not read my first post busta?

From googling hp printers and their apparent problems I think most of them are dodgy. As I said our previous hp printer was shyte as we'll.

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 16 January 2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 16 January 2015, 10:37 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Did you not read my first post busta?

From googling hp printers and their apparent problems I think most of them are dodgy. As I said our previous hp printer was shyte as we'll.
What part of my post are you getting at?
I say it maybe a problem with you're computer as you say it worked in the past no? And then hasn't since. (Maybe something blocking it, like firewall of some sort?)

You say your iOS devices don't reconise it (I'm just telling you how mine is used for some sort of comfort)

In essence I'm saying I have no problems with the things you describe and I belive another poster above has said the same.

To say you've had 2 hp's, who knows if it's your wifi in house that's the problem (maybe it's moved in the house somewhere, too far etc or big brick walls, who's knows, I can't say)

All I'm saying is, I find it hard to belive 2 hp printers at fault as there's me and another on here that's problem free.

Have you had a printer before that worked faultlessly? If so maybe try one of them and if problem persists then maybe it's something to do with wifi or Internet slow etc etc.

Hope you fix your problem.

P.s I don't use that hp app thingy either, I just use the tab near bookmarks etc

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 16 January 2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 17 January 2015, 12:36 AM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Wasn't getting at as in having a dig busta, just thought you thought I had only tried printing from my laptop.

It's rather long winded, but I've only had hp printers. The first was not wireless, just a basic printer that lasted a few years. We then got a wireless all in one b110 jobbie, that seemed to work ok for a bit, then started being problematic. After googling the problem (which appeared widespread) and faffing about removing the software from the laptop, and then reinstalling it, it worked again for a bit, then sporadically. Whenever it had been working it was always left on standby and the router never turned off. It was recognised by my wife's iPad for a while then it stopped being recognised by it and we could not do anything to resolve the issue.

We then replaced it with an hp 5520, same as you have. Installed software, tried to print from laptop, nothing. Got on to hp support, they told me the printer did not appear to be connected to the network, even though the printed test report showed that it was wifi connected to the same network as all our devises.

Managed to get it to print somehow, and has been left on standby since so nothing should have changed.
Have tried printing from IPad, iPhone, laptop, moto e phone with hp print app.
Have managed to get it to print once with most devices but that is it, other than being able to photocopy it is fecking useless.

I have tried printing from various locations around the house, even standing next to the printer and router with,which are both situated next to each other, with every device we have (2 x laptops, 2 x iPads, 2 x iPhones, iPod touch, smart phones) Test report says signal strength is excellent, ssid the same, etc. . .

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 17 January 2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 17 January 2015, 02:33 AM
alexUKguy
Scooby Newbie

If you have multiple WAPs configured slightly wrong it could cause this kind of intermittent issue.
If the printer has an ip address when you are trying to print to it the fault shouldn't lie with the printer.
Try printing to it while it's on the WiFi but from a computer/laptop connected directly to your router via an Ethernet cable to rule out the device your printing from and your WiFi network (so long as the printer has the correct ip - this will be on the config page)
Old 18 January 2015, 10:37 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Never had a problem with my 5520E either, and based on the massive amount of positive reviews I saw for them before I decided to buy, I suspect most people have pretty much the same experience.