Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone 6

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2014, 03:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default iPhone 6

So it's looking very likely that I'll finally get a built in barometer, a hardware feature I've been keen to have since the first iPhone.

Now I know that's not going to rock everyones boat, so what are you hoping for?
Old 21 June 2014, 03:19 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That the battery last longer.
Old 21 June 2014, 03:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by super_ted
That's looking likely, much to my disappointment it may be getting bigger.
Old 21 June 2014, 04:24 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by super_ted
This^
Old 21 June 2014, 07:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was going to get this one but if you search the web they think the new iphone is going to go bigger so it means it will be no better than any of the other huge phones out there? I got the Samsung s5 and OMFG this thing is huge!!
Old 21 June 2014, 09:49 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Surely they are gonna do an iphone 5 sized iphone 6??? The 5 is plenty big enough for my midget hands!
Old 21 June 2014, 09:55 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It will probably be as limited and dictated as the previous versions.

Coming from a long time Apple phone users 3-5s I can't believe how reigned in and poor they actually are.

I expect nothing more from the newest one.
Old 21 June 2014, 10:08 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

I still fail to see what my 5 does that my Wife's old 4s doesn't and I dare say I will fail to see what a 6 does over the 5!
If they all run IOS 7 then what is the real world difference?
Old 21 June 2014, 10:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

300 quid more?
Old 21 June 2014, 10:30 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Means my upgrade from a 4 to 5s will be cheaper when the 6 is launched.
Old 21 June 2014, 10:42 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

The only reason I'd swap a 4 for a 5s would be;
A: My 4 is fooked
B: My 4 is to heavy and I fancy a slightly bigger screen!
Old 21 June 2014, 10:51 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
The only reason I'd swap a 4 for a 5s would be;
A: My 4 is fooked
B: My 4 is to heavy and I fancy a slightly bigger screen!
Correct on both accounts.

I have constant "switch mode" enabled and it ***** up my speed and viewing of the phone, I've tried all sorts to stop it and it switches back on. My home button is also temperamental.

I'd take a 4s, but my misses has one and it's not all that much better than mine when it was working properly, just smoother!

So the 5 or 5s is my next upgrade unless you have a reason not too. I'm aware of the charge point issue, but I believe most will have been replaced on warrantee?

Rob
Old 21 June 2014, 11:16 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Charge point issue?????
My 5 is fine and indeed I'd have one over the 4s but only for the weight and size!
Old 21 June 2014, 11:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

The 5s is an incredible device, suprises me all the time. The M7 chip has improved my health, that's not to be sniffed at. The camera is outstanding, so few clicks from seeing something to publishing something. Touch ID should be on everything.

This was today, saw it, filmed it, shared it with you, 3 year old could do it.

Old 22 June 2014, 09:42 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

want big screen
Old 22 June 2014, 09:03 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by riiidaa
want big screen

Noooo, the one thing apple did right was keep the phone small now they are bowing to pressure and making the phone say a 4.7" screen.

I know we buy these phones with huge screens as they are forced upon us but do people really want massive screen phones as I know I don't.

If they made the mini phone versions with the same spec as the bigger phones I think the mini ones would oversell the counterparts
Old 23 June 2014, 10:17 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It's still not certain that they will release a larger screen, I'm with you, the size is perfect for me to carry at all times. I'm sure I'll get used to a bigger screen if I have to.
Old 23 June 2014, 10:22 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from having always using Apple to a HTC one, at first it felt big, and not as smooth as the iPhone interface. But now I'm used to it, it's a great phone. When I use the Mrs iPhone now it feels so small and clumsy.
Old 23 June 2014, 04:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

iPhone mini would be cool- smaller, lighter, balanced, longer battery life.

Maybe some sort of tactile functionality, the problem with all touch screens is the difficulty in using them without looking at the screen for basic tasks.
Old 23 June 2014, 04:36 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

They should release the iphone 6 in similar form factor to existing same'ole same'ole but then release an iPad mini that you can make calls on, then I'd buy the latter.

i was intending to jump ship to Galaxy s5 but build quality compared to HTC One M8 had me looking at that, then the urge subsided a bit and i thought I'll wait n see if iOS8 is any good innovation wise (looks promising) and the rumours about 2 form factors iPhone6's are made official, in which case i'll be getting the bigger version.

my ageing iPhone 4 has served me well but it IS now time to ring the 'last drinks bell' on it as a main handset.

Last edited by riiidaa; 23 June 2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 23 June 2014, 04:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'm think a game changer would be a two device approach tiny non touch screen "drone" handset for on the move that seamless integrates with a separate large screen touch phone. Like two phones but on the same number: where everything essential on one is exactly mirrored on the other. That way you can have that huge screen phone for times it needed and the small one for general use that will fit in a small pocket so you dont look like a Dom Jolly sketch

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 June 2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 23 June 2014, 04:55 PM
netbeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
I still fail to see what my 5 does that my Wife's old 4s doesn't and I dare say I will fail to see what a 6 does over the 5!
If they all run IOS 7 then what is the real world difference?
iphone 4 will not be supported anymore at the launch of iOS8, so, the discontinuation of the support for 4s is imminent as well. iOS8 launches together with iPhone 6, so this September.

i currently own an iphone 4, the small, 8gb version and was very happy with it until recently, the previous update, and all of the updated apps, i am running 7.1

I cannot open facebook app properly, it just freezes on startup for a good minute. The moment i open a picture on facebook, and scroll down to see comments, it freezes for a minute again.

I cannot open safari and photos at the same time, phone just freezes and hangs. any other memory intensive app slows the phone down as well.

I cannot sometimes answer the phone either, because it glitches and just does not allow me to slide the slider, so I have to resort to just subduing my shouting and letting the person go to voicemail and then ringing them back.

switching off and restarting does not help.

If it was not for these issues, I would be still very happy with the phone as i just use it for whatsapp, photos and internet, but since apple messed up with the updates and running for the next gen chip support and optimization, they left the old phones neglected.

One more thing that I just found out about the iphone 4 is, that it is not supporting Bluetooth smart. that is the new, energy efficient bluetooth standart, which is not backwards compatible.

I bought a parrot flower power wireless plant monitor, installed the app and understood that I have basically thrown away 60 quid, because my phone just does not support this gadget, as any other low powered health gadget - pulse, oxy meters, heart rate bands etc...

I am actually looking forward for the health app agregator that comes with iOS8, the location dependent lockscreen app suggestion I find disturbing, as it will open up a whole new lot of subliminal advertising and money scooping, mind you, for apple.

same as with apple touch ID - how long do you think until NSA and MI5/6/7 will start using this as a database to start looking for perpetrators etc?

yes, yes, apple says it is not stored on the cloud, but same they said about the fact, when they leaked GPS data from people's phones.
Old 23 June 2014, 05:39 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm think a game changer would be a two device approach tiny non touch screen "drone" handset for on the move that seamless integrates with a separate large screen touch phone. Like two phones but on the same number: where everything essential on one is exactly mirrored on the other. That way you can have that huge screen phone for times it needed and the small one for general use that will fit in a small pocket so you dont look like a Dom Jolly sketch
That's not too dissimilar from my intention, except I'm happy to go with a large screen handset coupled with a bluetooth headset and/or smart watch (capable of making and answering calls.)
Old 23 June 2014, 05:48 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by netbeast
iphone 4 will not be supported anymore at the launch of iOS8, so, the discontinuation of the support for 4s is imminent as well. iOS8 launches together with iPhone 6, so this September.

i currently own an iphone 4, the small, 8gb version and was very happy with it until recently, the previous update, and all of the updated apps, i am running 7.1

I cannot open facebook app properly, it just freezes on startup for a good minute. The moment i open a picture on facebook, and scroll down to see comments, it freezes for a minute again.

---------------SNIP--------------

One more thing that I just found out about the iphone 4 is, that it is not supporting Bluetooth smart. that is the new, energy efficient bluetooth standart, which is not backwards compatible.

I bought a parrot flower power wireless plant monitor, installed the app and understood that I have basically thrown away 60 quid, because my phone just does not support this gadget, as any other low powered health gadget - pulse, oxy meters, heart rate bands etc...
Yep same issues with FB app on my 4 (32gb ver) on last couple of updates.

4S supports bluetooth 4.0 which i found out when reading that my STILL yet to be delivered Kreyos Meteor smart watch supports 4.0. It's the only reason I'd look twice at a 4s, but obviously it's next in the firing line for becoming obsolete.
Old 24 June 2014, 01:21 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Liking the size and functionality of my 5, not sure would want to u/grade to a 6 if bigger. Waiting to see about the iWatch though.
Old 24 June 2014, 02:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Liking the size and functionality of my 5, not sure would want to u/grade to a 6 if bigger. Waiting to see about the iWatch though.
I will be having a iWatcheveritscalled need a new watch and love collecting data about myself.
Old 24 June 2014, 02:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm very interested to see if all the supposed rumours and leaks about new phone size actually come to anything.

I can see some sense in them keeping the 4" display and adding a larger size as well. What I've yet to hear anyone state are the actual pixel dimension and resolution (perhaps same thing, never remember that), which is more important as that will dictate what developers actually have to do support new devices sizes.

Xcode 6 beta has a resizable iPhone Simulator mode, which seems to give some indication that there will be a couple of different sized devices and obviously Apple isn't giving anything away here.

I suspect there will also be a new product line introduced as well, possibly this iWatch thing, which likely will have a different display size, so that would also be a link to the resizable simulator in iOS.

I do know for fact there are projects being worked on within Apple that have their own internal cover stories to prevent information from leaking internally, let alone externally and these relate to the new product lines mentioned in the past by Tim Cook.

Would I get an iPhone 6 over my 5S? Obviously depends on what the device has above and beyond the 5S. A bigger screen does not instantly appeal to me (hopefully it is done with as less fuss as possible, so as not to give developers a headache), but I have the advantage that I'll likely get a couple of test devices of the various sizes to test on, so I can have some hands on experience before I decide to take the plunge.
Old 09 July 2014, 10:28 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Saphire display looking quite likely.

Old 09 July 2014, 12:10 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

That's one strong bit of kit.
Old 21 July 2014, 12:58 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

I hate my 5'S. Wish I still had my 4'S
Best phone by far .. Before you say not in terms of tech
But at least it worked & performed faultless ...

Quick Reply: iPhone 6