Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

new sky bix , no rf 2 socket !

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2014, 12:33 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts
Default new sky bix , no rf 2 socket !

I currently have the tvs in my bedroom and spare room using the signal from the rf2 on my sky box to a tv amp in roofspace, with a wee signal sender battery thing in my remote (allows me to use remote to control sky box anywhere in the house). I just got a new box and there is no rf2 out on it There is a device they recommend that converts scart to rf so u can use magic eye , but I remember years ago the magic eye wouldnt work through amp in roofspace so I use the system I have now for that reason. Will the device they sell just output the same rf output that I need so I dont need the magic eye system ?

Also , would this adapter do the same thing if I also use a bnc to coaxial adaptor ?

BNC/SCART adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics BNC/SCART adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Old 25 April 2014, 01:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Is there no RF1 socket either? Its not like the main TV will use it (should be connected via HDMi assuming its a modern TV).

Anyway, short answer is No that product won't work: The product in the link looks like it converts scart to composite video.

Composite Video is not RF. (which is what goes through an aerial cable)

If you had two, one at the Sky box and one at the scart input on the bedroom TV and the cable went directly between them (not via an roofspace amp/distributor), then it'd work. But it won't work going to the aerial socket.

If you want something to convert to RF, you need a "RF modulator". So a "scart to RF modulator". Something like this:
Universal Scart To Coax Video Modulator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Universal Scart To Coax Video Modulator: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Can't say if the magic eye will work through it though

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 April 2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 25 April 2014, 01:43 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Just trawled through sky forums , got to page 18 of 42 on this issue ! It seems I have to buy an I/o link for £25 from sky , but then I might have a conflict between freeview on main tv while watching sky in other room. Just sounds like a whole ***** up to make u buy multi room.

what I dont want is to buy something at £25 to find it doesnt work.
Old 25 April 2014, 01:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can't say about the Sky one (which should be adjustable too), but the one in my link has a adjustable channel output, so if it did interfer with a freeview channel, it can be tuned to a different frequency (channel).
Old 25 April 2014, 02:10 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

My brain is melted , just going to work it out as I go when the sky one arrives. I think I can just use a splitter on the incomming coaxial (one feeding sky, other feeding main tv.
Old 25 April 2014, 02:55 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Same happened to me, I watch tv in bedroom via magic eye.
It's the new wireless sky boxes that got rid of rf outlet, but yes the IO LINK is what you need to carry on using like before.
I argued the toss with them and got it for free as they should of told me when ordering that there's no RF anymore as a lot of customers still use the feature. So it should be part of their sales pitch as they know about it but don't tell customers.
Old 25 April 2014, 04:09 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

I did think about complaining , but I phone them for the upgrade , and I wrangled them to give me the box for £30 rather that £150.
Old 26 April 2014, 02:57 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
I did think about complaining , but I phone them for the upgrade , and I wrangled them to give me the box for £30 rather that £150.
Lol I got my box for free as long as I upgraded to HD package at an extra £5pm.
And I got a further discount of £5 off for 12 months as I took my complaint to the executive department as the customer service dept is crap.
Old 26 April 2014, 06:34 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Im already on hd . Basically they worked out they could knock £10 a month from my fibre optic for a year. Funny how they never mentioned that before though ! My box was always acting up , freezing , failed recordings etc so I just rang a different department 3 times threatening to leave , 1st 2 said "there's nothing we can do" last one went through all my subscriptions to see where she could help me out.
Old 26 April 2014, 07:25 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Im already on hd . Basically they worked out they could knock £10 a month from my fibre optic for a year. Funny how they never mentioned that before though ! My box was always acting up , freezing , failed recordings etc so I just rang a different department 3 times threatening to leave , 1st 2 said "there's nothing we can do" last one went through all my subscriptions to see where she could help me out.
Lol if you had hd then they've upgraded you for nothing (albeit the wireless feature) and the previous hd boxes were better apparently.

They always give a discount if you complain about prices ime.

Now it's costing you more with the rf thing and £30 extra you payed for box, when all you needed was a replacement box (same as you had) and a polite discount otherwise your leaving and using Netflix as movies are crap (I've used this in the past).

How have they discounted you £10 off fibre?
Old 26 April 2014, 08:41 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Dunno how they discounted it , but I doubt they would have just upgraded me to the 2TB wifi box for nothing .