Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Fiat Punto 16v Speedgear, 1st timed DA polished

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2014, 08:40 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Fiat Punto 16v Speedgear, 1st timed DA polished

my CYC Das6pro arrived last week with Manz 2400 + 4500 compound polish, orange + black HEX pads.

Had a try today with it, never done it before using a machine polisher. Been watching YouTube on how I should approach polishing

So here goes, picture quality in the garage isn't my best photos.

I snow foamed and washed the car, rinsed, then I used a waft of snow foam back over the car and used that as my lube for claying the car
Then washed all that off, dried with micro fibre towels.
Got the car in the garage, tried to take some pix of the swirls and 'marks' in the paint work.. but they didn't show up.

I started with the Orange pad and the Menz 2400. Worked on half the bonnet, up down - left right. Did that a few times then polish/buffed off with a micro fibre noodle mitt. Once I felt confident with the machine, I worked my way around the car.
Tried the low tack tape before/after.. but TBH, I couldn't see that much difference on the yellow lol

Then started again with the Black Hex and the Menz 4500 - this is such a soft pad to work with but buffed and polished using a soft micro fibre towel.

I have to say that not all my marks have come out with the 2400 and the orange Hex, but such an improvement on how it was before, I can live with them for now. I think with time and spending a bit more time working it in they might almost go.... But I think my car's had a number of re sprays that you can see the over spray blend out, orange peel paint work now I have it feeling polish smooth.

The Black Hex and the 4500 just fine polished the car lovely. I see what JunkMan means when he says you can leave your car like that.

Once the car was 4500 polished I finished with going over the whole car with AngelWax QED (deatiling spray). I did think of going over it with some liquid wax, but time was pressing on.. and I'd already been on it three hours lol

Conclusion:
Very impressed with the Das6 Pro and products used. With time I'll get better at it. I did find the DA was easy to used one handed using the hoop handle and a support for the top of my hand. The extra length of cable is handy too. Glad I went for the CYC group buy discount.

Questions:
1: How much Menz should I be applying to the area I'm working on, do I need the whole panel to be totally cover in the cream.. and re apply to the pad and a bit on the panels as I go?
2: How many sweeps on an area should I be doing? (until the cream has dried up and almost gone?)

next car to do is the wife's Focus, then I'll do the Scoob
Old 18 January 2014, 09:52 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Work in small areas 18" square. You need to break the compounds down, the Menz will start to go clear once this starts to happen. This is called the flash point. With an orange pad it will take maybe 8-10 slow passes left right then up and down.

Loaded the pad with 4 pea sized blobs first time you use the pad then 3 for each section. Too much is a waste and won't get broken down properly.

Spread the three blobs at speed 1-2 then up it to 5-6 for the passes. If you need to refine once the passes have been done then back the speed back down to 2 and do a few more passes each way.
Old 18 January 2014, 09:54 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did the whole thing in three hours you didn't do it properly
Old 18 January 2014, 09:59 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

hmmm, I was clay'd by 1:15pm
then went in about 4:30 .. or should I say called to come in to get dinner on lol