Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

What on earth is going on with my bonnet?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2011, 07:11 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What on earth is going on with my bonnet?

I have been getting a lot of scratches on my bonnet and some other strange marks. It appears to be attracting them like a magnet. What is going on? I am very careful when it comes to washing, hose, 2 bucket method, hose again, microfibres and handmit washed after every wash and the rest of the car is faultless, no swirls etc.

Picture 1 shows some damage, picture 2 shows a weird pattern and picture 3 shows yet another strange blob.

I have used Autoglym paint renovator 6 months ago to get rid of some hazing which it did well but Im now despairing at now another problem with it. Anyone got any ideas?

Picture 2

Picture 3

Old 12 April 2011, 07:21 PM
imprezajon
Scooby Regular

have u any cats around by were u park your car???
reason i ask is i had the local moggy sit on my bonnet because it was warm and leave nice claw marks in the paint. gotta love soft subaru paint
Old 12 April 2011, 07:31 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Yes I do but I have never seen them on it. I have been keeping a close eye out and they get as far as under the car but not once caught them on it.
Old 12 April 2011, 07:39 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Birds (seagulls where I live) - *******!!
Old 12 April 2011, 08:40 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Magpies where i live, seem to trample up and down the car leaving scratches & **** all over the nice clean bodywork (attracted to it shining away in the sun).

The little blighters also seem to like standing on the bonnet & boot checking themselves out in the reflections from the windscreens.

Local fox has been hanging about the close as well so just waiting for him to start jumping all over the car, although that will probably put end to the magpies
Old 12 April 2011, 08:50 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

No.3 looks like bird sh*t damage
Old 12 April 2011, 10:30 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

It does but I know what damage it can do so as soon as I see it it is wiped off. Wont ever be on the car for more than 6 hours. Its really left me scratching my head. There are many possible options but the thing is there is no damage to anywhere else. The roof is perfect. The most plausible is the cat suggestion due to the hot bonnet but as Ive said Ive never seen them on it.
Old 13 April 2011, 11:46 AM
greg320
Scooby Regular

do you wash it with a sponge or wash mitt?
Old 13 April 2011, 02:07 PM
kennyc
Scooby Regular

Remember try and not rub a mitt or sponge across a bird dropping as it may have grit etc in it. Try and blast it as much as you can with a pressure washer
Old 13 April 2011, 05:08 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I use a mit and am meticulous when washing my car. I don't have a pressure washer but I use a hose to get rid of all crud before the mit goes anywhere near it. I then use the foam created in the bucket to wipe over the paint before the mit even touches it to loosen any dirt that may possibly be left.

I cant imagine it being my washing technique and as I said the rest of the car doesnt have any swirl marks or light scratches what so ever.

When I took a layer of lacquer off with the paint renovator could I have weakened it and made it more susceptible to scratches? I use Werkstatt acrylic to add protection but dont know if this would have helped much.
Old 23 April 2011, 09:01 AM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

i have the same problem i have a load of water marks and scratches which is getting worse but i think its under the lacquer.

its the only thing to let it down.
Old 23 April 2011, 09:19 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

That is interesting that you have the same issue. Did it just start doing it one day or have you recently polished it with a abrasive compound? I just cant seem to get a nice bonnet. I waxed the car 2 years ago and got terrible marring on the bonnet. Only a few months ago did I polish it out using AG Paint renovator, leaving it sparkling and now this. i just don't understand why it is so susceptible.

What I want to know is how many times can it be cut back. For the price of a respray I could get 2 replacement bonnets on ebay.
Old 23 April 2011, 09:33 AM
andyseston
Scooby Regular

its been like it for a bit now but is getting worse. was thinking it is the polish i use which is the Werkstatt as it getting worse. thinking of going beck to my old stuff for a while and see.

it does improve once i have cleaned and used scratch remover on it and polished.

cheers
Old 23 April 2011, 09:39 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyseston
its been like it for a bit now but is getting worse. was thinking it is the polish i use which is the Werkstatt as it getting worse. thinking of going beck to my old stuff for a while and see.

it does improve once i have cleaned and used scratch remover on it and polished.

cheers
Surely a coincidence

It is a bit strange though, I would say that mine is getting worse as well, I just cant understand it. Im up for anything now as it is getting to the point where something more drastic needs to be done.
Old 23 April 2011, 09:40 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Anyone know how much lacquer is removed when taking out marring? Do I have room to play with?
Old 24 April 2011, 10:26 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Are you polishing by hand? If so you wont be removing to much but with a DA polisher or an orbital polisher it will be considerably more, Subaru paint is soft so you do have to be careful.
What polish are you using? as some will fill swirls ans scratches rather than correcting them.
If you take the car to a professional detailer they can measure the thickness of the clear coat.
Old 24 April 2011, 10:29 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andyseston

cheers
I think you will find that the Werkstatt range does not have any abrasive properties more of a filler and paint cleaner.
Old 24 April 2011, 10:34 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Are you polishing by hand? If so you wont be removing to much but with a DA polisher or an orbital polisher it will be considerably more, Subaru paint is soft so you do have to be careful.
What polish are you using? as some will fill swirls ans scratches rather than correcting them.
If you take the car to a professional detailer they can measure the thickness of the clear coat.
I used AG paint renovator by hand which is quite abrasive. It was fantastic at getting rid of the haze but now Im finding that my bonnet attracts scratches like flies to a dung heap. No where else on the car has any, in fact its completely swirl free.
Old 24 April 2011, 11:37 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmmmmmmmm strange one, maybe a cat, looks like to much for that tho, I wonder if its some sort of contamination attacking the clear coat
Old 24 April 2011, 11:57 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I have no idea but it is driving me crazy. Every week I notice another mark or scratch but nothing anywhere else on the car. Its not just scratches, theres what looks like clouds as seen in picture 2 and smaller more concentrated blobs as seen in pic 3.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:03 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

It must be some sort of contamination attacking it i would get it to a pro before it gets any worse, I'm sure they would have seen something like this.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:23 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Im keeping an eye out on ebay at the moment to see if there is a silver Hawkeye bonnet as they can sometimes go really cheaply and would enable me to have one with a full layer of lacquer on it.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:24 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shame your not closer to me mate as i would be happy to sort it out with a new coat of paint
Old 25 April 2011, 09:20 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Heaven is hopefully at least another 60 years away for me.
Old 25 April 2011, 12:01 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRSport
Yeah, Heaven is hopefully at least another 60 years away for me.
Well noticed,I'm down in Leominster mate if you are interested
Old 25 April 2011, 12:09 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Thanks but that is too far. How much do you charge out of interest and how much should I expect to pay anywhere for a bonnet respray?