Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Removing baked on tree sap

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2010, 08:51 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing baked on tree sap

Hi,

Just bought a 95 dark blue mica saloon, but on the bonnet there are what looks like water marks all over it, which the previous owner told me he believes was baked on tree sap.

Now, any of you got any tricks on clearing this up? Someone has suggested rubbing alcohol but is this safe?

Cheers
Old 08 November 2010, 11:33 PM
Chris 9-5
Scooby Regular

Once you have removed any dirt use a claybar and plenty of lube.

If its real bad you could use something like Tardis: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...rdis-cat6.html
between the washing and claying steps

Last edited by Chris 9-5; 08 November 2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09 November 2010, 10:28 AM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Great cheers.

Brothers mate has a bodyshop anyway so if worst comes to the worst a crate of stella would sort it haha
Old 09 November 2010, 10:42 AM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

olive oil is the best for it trust me!!! let in sit on overnight and it will rub off!!!
Old 09 November 2010, 11:49 AM
John @ PB
Former Sponsor

Tardis straight away everytime. It'll dissolve tree sap (which is actually honeydew, not tree sap ) - a clay bar will risk marring and I wouldn't recommend olive oil on it - it'll go everywhere and leave greasy smears all over the car.

Tardis: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...rt-tardis.html
Old 09 November 2010, 01:49 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. I think I'll go over it with some of the Tardis and then clay and wax after, as it's not sticky marks, it's literally white marks that look like water marks.

Thanks again

Last edited by K1985; 09 November 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09 November 2010, 05:55 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First start for me would be a 2bm wash with warm / hot water. Not boiling water out of a kettle. Be sure to rinse with warm / hot water through a watering can too. This will help to soften the sap and make the Tardis' job easier and quicker for you

I wouldn't put a clay bar anywhere near it until you have all the sap off. The worry here is that there may be debris held in the sap that when released by the clay will inflict damage on your paint surface.
Old 09 November 2010, 11:11 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V4JDMSTi
First start for me would be a 2bm wash with warm / hot water. Not boiling water out of a kettle. Be sure to rinse with warm / hot water through a watering can too. This will help to soften the sap and make the Tardis' job easier and quicker for you

I wouldn't put a clay bar anywhere near it until you have all the sap off. The worry here is that there may be debris held in the sap that when released by the clay will inflict damage on your paint surface.
Matt, you have too much time mate.

This thread reminds me of I need to do my sisters car. It's only a 2 year old car but the paint looks crap after she parked under a tree from the day she got it at home.

Did my Mums car the other week. Jesus, that was hard work.

Steve
Old 09 November 2010, 11:29 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Spoke to my brother earlier to try to get him to get me some Tardis.

Tried palming me off with fine cutting compund. Told him to get stuffed. Was I right?
Old 10 November 2010, 11:02 AM
John @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by K1985
Spoke to my brother earlier to try to get him to get me some Tardis.

Tried palming me off with fine cutting compund. Told him to get stuffed. Was I right?
Yes, you were right!

Essentially, what most folk think is treesap is actually honeydew which is the stuff that comes out of the back end of insects..... generally undigested sugars etc.

This then bonds, rather strongly, to paint. Dissolving it without touching it is the best option as there is no risk of moving the particles within the honeydew over the paint and therefore much less risk of marring or scratching the paint surface.

Tardis will dissolve this with relative ease. By using a cutting compound, yes, you'll remove it but your also moving the honeydew over the surface and also using an abrasive (the cutting compound) over the paint - this is something you want to keep to a minimum.
Old 10 November 2010, 11:36 AM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Hi John,

Just due to the sheer amount, I don't think it is from insects. There is just far too much of it. The car was parked under a tree for a long time. It's only the bonnet and the front wings which are affected.

It's not just the odd patch, it's near enough the whole bonnet! Luckily it can only be seen from certain angles in certain lights. I'll try and get a pic if I can to show you what I mean.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10 November 2010, 12:10 PM
John @ PB
Former Sponsor

Tardis will be your friend.

(Please don't be tempted to buy Tardis in anything other than the 5litre metal tins - it is illegal to ship it in anything other than the metal tins and it must be sent via courier. You'll see it offered on a certain auction site in plastic 1litre bottles - please don't buy it. If it bursts and gets on someone's hands, it could be particularly nasty. Obviously we stock Tardis and ship it as per regulations but if you do buy it elsewhere, make sure they stick to the rules.)

Last edited by John @ PB; 10 November 2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10 November 2010, 12:47 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Matt, you have too much time mate.

This thread reminds me of I need to do my sisters car. It's only a 2 year old car but the paint looks crap after she parked under a tree from the day she got it at home.

Did my Mums car the other week. Jesus, that was hard work.

Steve
wish I had more time. The missus has got me decorating at the moment. If I'm not sorting the house out I'm running around after the kids

My sister's car and her other halfs are the same. Sorted them out once for them and they look the same now before I done them. I keep telling them to bring them round and I'll do them again ready for the winter but it's just getting around to it.

Has your mum still got the Astra? Get a couple of layers on it and it'll make it easier going forward.
Old 10 November 2010, 12:50 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John @ PB
Tardis will be your friend.

(Please don't be tempted to buy Tardis in anything other than the 5litre metal tins - it is illegal to ship it in anything other than the metal tins and it must be sent via courier. You'll see it offered on a certain auction site in plastic 1litre bottles - please don't buy it. If it bursts and gets on someone's hands, it could be particularly nasty. Obviously we stock Tardis and ship it as per regulations but if you do buy it elsewhere, make sure they stick to the rules.)
+1

When ordering it's also a good idea to get hold of some of the latex gloves.
Old 12 November 2010, 03:46 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Went over to supremecleandetailing.co.uk and told him what you'd said, John.

He said Clive knew what he was talking about and said we could try using some tardis.... But it didn't work. Looks like it'll be a machine polish :-(
Old 12 November 2010, 04:30 PM
John @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by K1985
Went over to supremecleandetailing.co.uk and told him what you'd said, John.

He said Clive knew what he was talking about and said we could try using some tardis.... But it didn't work. Looks like it'll be a machine polish :-(

How long did you leave it for? Did you agitate it?
Old 12 November 2010, 04:41 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

The car was wet with rain. The guy put some on a rag and rubbed it on about a square foot of the bonnet for about 30 seconds. Still there, no change I could see. May look a bit different when dry and with a light on it
Old 12 November 2010, 05:14 PM
John @ PB
Former Sponsor

I'd try it on dry paint, spray it on neat, leave it for 90 seconds or so, gentle wipe down then rinse thoroughly.

If Tardis doesn't shift it, it must be ultra-bad
Old 12 November 2010, 05:25 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

I'll try and find somewhere a bit closer to my house who has a little bit of it I can buy and try leaving it on there for longer.

Loads of bodyshops etc near mine so hopefully I'll track some down somewhere
Old 12 November 2010, 05:27 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

I've found Tardis needs to be applied to dry paintwork to work properly and may take more than one application on something that's been on there a while.

Post a pic up of the offending "sap".
Old 12 November 2010, 05:30 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

I'll get one up asap. Took one the other day but deleted it by accident lol
Old 16 November 2010, 05:09 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V4JDMSTi
wish I had more time. The missus has got me decorating at the moment. If I'm not sorting the house out I'm running around after the kids

My sister's car and her other halfs are the same. Sorted them out once for them and they look the same now before I done them. I keep telling them to bring them round and I'll do them again ready for the winter but it's just getting around to it.

Has your mum still got the Astra? Get a couple of layers on it and it'll make it easier going forward.
Matt, I know your a busy bunny mate.

Yes mate the old girl still has the trusty steed. Funny you say that as I am doing it at some point today .

A wash and then giving it another layer of wax. Then doing the other halfs car. D'oh!!

Steve