Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss® & Ambient Life Photography: 993 Turbo X50...

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2010, 09:53 AM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Bliss® & Ambient Life Photography: 993 Turbo X50...

This 993 belongs to my Dad and it's currently on a quarterly contract with us. It was brought in for its first treatment of the year in the form of a 2 day minor correction to spruce it up a wee bit.

The car is 1 of 11 in the UK to have the X50 Factory Upgrade (costing approx £7-8k) which gives an increase in power to 450bhp and 430lb-ft, 0-60 in 3.7 secs and a top speed of 192mph :driver:

This is the car on arrival, about as dirty as it gets in all honesty:

So on with the detail - up first was a pre-rinse of the wheels/tyres and arches:

Then Gloss-It Signature Wheel Gel was applied and agitated with the various wheel brushes:

This just left a few remaining tar spots which Autosmart Tardis removed:

The engine bay was done too but there's not a huge amount to look at on this one, just a massive intercooler!

The car was then foamed with R222 at 60 degrees and left for a few minutes:

Then thoroughly rinsed off at high pressure:

All exterior trims and badges etc were then cleaned with Raceglaze detailing brushes and Meguiars APC...

...Then washed with Meguiars Shampoo Plus and the 2BM:

Tardis was used again for some minor tar spots on the paintwork:

The car was then put inside and clayed with Meguiars Mild, not much contamination present though:

One final rinse followed, this time using filtered water through an open ended hosepipe:

I then dried the majority of the car with a PB Luxury Drying Towel and then used the Black Baron to blast out any remaining water in the panel gaps etc:

The car was last machine polished approx 2 1/2 years ago and was still 95% perfect in most places, although there were a few places needing some light correction:

After 203S on a Lake Country Polishing Pad @ 1500rpms:

The near side rear quarter had picked up a couple of deeper marks (these didnt really show up too well on camera) which needed Menzerna 3.02 to remove,again with a LC polishing pad but this time at 1800-200rpms:

203S was used with a Lake Country spot pad on the rear reflector to remove some marring:

Before:

After:

Meguiars 205 was used on the paint protection film on the rear aches to remove a bit of "yellowing":

In between the machine work I'd painted the wheel nuts too which had picked up a few chips and scuffs during servicing work carried out at the dealership:

Once the correction work was complete I gave the car a dust down with the Lambswool Duster...

...Then a thorough IPA wipe down...

This was then followed by an application of Werkstat Prime Acrylic...

Once the Prime was buffed off I applied Project Awesome with the DA machine and left for an hour or so with the heater on in the studio:

Whilst the Project Awesome was curing I took the headlights out and seperated them in order to remove a thin layer of dirt...

They were cleaned up with some Werkstat Prime Strong and the chrome pieces were given an IPA wipe down before being put back together and re-fitted:

The rear turbo badge had some staining round the edges, most probably from the exhausts, so I gave them a clean with some Menzerna FPII and a cotton bud:

The wheels were sealed with 2 coats of Blackfire Metal Sealant (approx 12 hours between coats)...

...and the tyres dressed with Gloss-It Signature Tyre Gloss:

I used a cocktail stick to remove some traces of product residue in the centre caps:

Once all the other little jobs were done and the final wipe down was complete, the car was tucked away in the studio ready for the arrival of the genius that is Mr Tim Wallace of Ambient Life ( http://www.ambientlife.co.uk )

Tim spent 2 full days with us photographing the 993 and a black 997 Turbo and here are just a few of the ones he took of the 993. More will follow shortly of both cars in a blog post on our website so this is all I'm allowed to show at the moment

Hope you like, I'm sure you'll agree they are rather good - more to come from the PB & Ambient Life team in the near future

We used my Dads car for demonstration purposes at one of the local car shows the following week and as a result of the attention it recieved, one of the major newspapers up here asked if they could do an article - we were only too happy to say yes and here's a link for those that want to have a read

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...s/pj260510.pdf

As always, many thanks for looking

Clark
Old 14 June 2010, 01:43 PM
kennyc
Scooby Regular

Awesome, Loving the old skool!
Old 14 June 2010, 08:13 PM
AsianGunner
Scooby Regular

Amazing pics, can't wait to see more...
Old 15 June 2010, 03:04 PM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Great work as always Clark,from your only friend.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:44 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fantastic work and those pics are stunning ,
Old 17 June 2010, 01:33 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Pure car and detailing ****.
Old 19 June 2010, 07:55 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Amazing work, as always.

I have a question, if you have a few seconds (please!): I am currently using Poorboys Bold n Bright on my tyre sidewalls, which I am happy with. However, I also use it on some plastic exterior trim (like the traingular mirror cover peices at the base of the A-pillars). The Poorboys brings it up nice but I find that when it rains the side of the car under these parts become dull from the product running down the panels.

In an effort to avoid purchasing and using two separate products, is there a product that will bring the tyres up nice AND do the exterior plastics without running down the panels when it rains?
Old 20 June 2010, 07:56 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

wow nice work guys, really need my car back its been so long since i have been able to test out all the tricks i keep picking up from these threads.

Thanks guys
Old 21 June 2010, 01:39 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by oobster
Amazing work, as always.

I have a question, if you have a few seconds (please!): I am currently using Poorboys Bold n Bright on my tyre sidewalls, which I am happy with. However, I also use it on some plastic exterior trim (like the traingular mirror cover peices at the base of the A-pillars). The Poorboys brings it up nice but I find that when it rains the side of the car under these parts become dull from the product running down the panels.

In an effort to avoid purchasing and using two separate products, is there a product that will bring the tyres up nice AND do the exterior plastics without running down the panels when it rains?
In short, no, for one key reason that relates to the impact of water-based vs solvent based products on the surface being treated...

Tyres are best treated with water-based dressings (such as Bold & Bright) because this is kind to the tyre and does not cause premature loss of the carbon black UV protection incorporated into the rubber - however, as a result, the durability of water-based dressings is somewhat limited.

Exterior trims, on the other hand, are best treated with solvent-based dressings (such as Poorboy's Trim Restorer) because this ensures maximum adhesion (and thus durability) of the product to the trim surface, which also then helps to prevent the coating from running in wet weather.

From a technical standpoint solvent-based dressings can of course be applied to tyres, but it's just not sensible from the point of view of wanting to keep your tyres in tip top condition. Likewise, water-based products can be put on exterior trims but their durability will be limited.

Hope that makes sense!

Old 21 June 2010, 07:10 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Rich, much appreciated.
Old 19 July 2010, 09:20 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Great work guys!