Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss: RS4, 996-C4S, R8, 997-CS + £1000 for charity!

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2009, 03:02 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Polished Bliss: RS4, 996-C4S, R8, 997-CS + £1000 for charity!

Write up done by Clark for DW, copied here by me!

---

This was what we were up to last week at Polished Bliss HQ, the first couple of cars are just after pics but a full step by step detail follows right at the end but we'll come to that in a minute.

First up was an Audi RS4 on a contract, in for a minor correction to nip out any slight wash marring picked up over the last 12 months - to be fair there was next to no defects at all as this particular customer is extremely good with his wash/dry technique.

- Correction done with Menzerna 85RE and a 3M Polishing Pad @ 1500rpm's
- LSP: Zymol Vintage

Next up was this 996 C4S, also on contract with us - this was in for its quarterly wax top up of Vintage having been corrected by myself previously:

Another contract customer followed the 911. This was the first treatment on a stunning white R8, with correction planned at a later date I carried out a one day protection detail on the car.

- Carbon inserts polished with Menzerna 85RE and a 3M finishing Pad @ 1500rpm's
- LSP: 5 coats of Werkstat Acrylic Jett

To finish the week(end) off we had a 5 month old 997 Carrera S in for major correction. There was a slight twist to this one - the Porsche Club GB had approached us earlier on in the year to organise a demonstration event at our premises for 25 members or so. In return, we gave away a free 3 day correction detail (including a free application of Zymol Vintage), which was then put up for auction by the club organiser with all the money raised going to a local charity (aberdeen foyer home)

With the winning bid for the detail of £650 and just over £1000 raised in total this was a great success, so many thanks to all members of the Porsche Club!

So, on with the detail!

As you can see, the car hadn’t been washed for a few weeks:

As always, I began with the pre-foam to loosen as much dirt and grime as possible. For this I used R222 (previously named P21S TAW) through the lance at 60 degrees:

This was repeated a further 2 times and left to dwell for 5 mins:

Then thoroughly rinsed off:

Wheels were next, sprayed with Meguiars WB (10:1) and agitated with the various brushes:

They were then rinsed off and the arches/tyres were scrubbed with Meguiars Super Degreaser (4:1):

All shuts/exterior trim/badges etc were then sprayed with R222 and agitated before being rinsed off:

I then washed the car with the 2 bucket method:

Another rinse was followed with the application of Autosmart Tardis to help get rid of the tar spots stuck to the paintwork and wheels:

The tar was wiped off with a MF towel and I then put the car inside after a final rinse.

Clay stage next - Meguiars Mild Clay was used, with very little in the way of contamination coming off the paintwork. This was about as bad as it got from the rear end:

Once fully clayed, the car was dried off with a Deep Pile Luxury Drying Towel.

I then applied the first coat of Gloss-It tyre dressing:

Looks a bit messy to start with but this is the tyre 15 mins later completely untouched:

I then go over the tyres another couple of times with an applicator pad over the duration of the detail with a final buff off at the end. The Porsche badge was removed to make polishing easier:

Paint readings were taken, everything nice and healthy on the metal panels:

Same for the plastics:

Now, being a 5 month old car you would expect there to be very little in the way of defects - however up until this point the wash routine had consisted of 1 bucket with a sponge and chamois. This was enough to inflict enough damage to warrant a 3 day correction as a 1 step polish wouldn’t have been enough to remove all the deeper random scratches present (the high flake content of the paint doesn’t really show up the deeper scratches too well on camera):

Hologram from the production line left above the door handle on the N/S door:

True to form, like all other 997's I've done to date, this car had really sticky paint so I immediately went to the Gloss-It polishes. These really are a life (and time!) saver when it comes to polishing sticky paints, whether it's with a DA or rotary polisher - they very rarely dust or spit out big lumps of polish and they don’t weld themselves to the paint either. I've now pretty much mastered the art of polishing sticky paint with them and quite often find it's quicker with the DA machine (less heat build up) so this was what I used.

Swapping back from rotary to DA used to feel like I was admitting defeat but now I don’t care as it gets the job done effectively and safely. Extreme Cut with a drop of Evolution Polish all on a Menzerna Polishing Pad were the weapons of choice:

Roof before:

During:

Roof after:

Before:

After:

There was quite a badly scratched area on the drivers door where some gritty bird "bombs" had been rubbed into the paint, here's a 50/50 shot during correction:

Fully corrected:

One thing I particularly like about the long working time of the polishes is their ability to greatly reduce or completely remove pretty deep random scratches.

Here's an example of what was quite often left after 1 hit on a panel:

And after a 2nd hit:

Engine cover/spoiler fully corrected:

Couple of pics of the defects on the back end:

After correction:

As plastic panels aren’t affected by sticky paint problems I was able to go back to my much preferred rotary!

Top of rear bumper before:

During:

After 2 hits of 3M Fast Cut Plus & Ultrafina @ 1500rpm's:

Before:

After:

Onto the front end:

Another area where it looked like bird bombs had been rubbed into the paint:

Again, 2 hits were needed on this to gain the best possible result:

Some areas of the bumpers weren’t quite as severe as the rest so only needed a 1 step polish with a softer polishing pad and Menzerna 203S:

Tail lights before:

After:

With all the correction work completed, I then refined the finish with Gloss-It Evolution Polish on a Menzerna Finishing Pad:

Marsha did her usual top job of polishing up the tail pipes:

Before:

After:

Out came the Wool Duster to remove any traces of polishing dust left:

A wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection was then followed by the application of the Vintage wax:

A final wipe down with Gloss-It QD was done along with all the other little details including the interior and the car was then ready for the Sunday, just a section of the bonnet remained untouched as this was to be corrected on the day to demonstrate how it was done.

Sunday afternoon approached and one or two rather nice Porsches started to arrive...

Inside, a few pics were quickly taken as the cheque was handed over to the representative of Aberdeen Foyer who were the chosen charity (aberdeen foyer home). Also pictured is the owner of the 911 (first on the left) and the Porsche Club Organiser (2nd from the right).

The afternoon itself was a great success, with a brief introduction about Polished Bliss...

... followed by various demonstrations, with the claying stage being shown here:

A bit of hand polishing:

Then some machine polishing:

Then all that remained at the end was to roll the car outside for all to see. The car itself had just under 35 hours of my own time (and 20 minutes of Marsha's!) put into it with 23 of those being machine polishing alone - this was certainly an eye opener to some who initially thought the car couldn’t really be improved:

Again, a big thank you to all the Porsche Club members who attended and a thank you to all that managed to get to the end of this post without falling asleep! Got a few more nice write ups to do in the coming weeks and another "Ne Plus Ultra" is on the way also.

Clark
Old 25 March 2009, 03:49 PM
dreamon
Scooby Regular

:
Great thread ,Amazing work
Old 25 March 2009, 10:11 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

Credit to you, amazing work....what gets me is how you find time to take so many photos and do such a detailed write-up whilst working so hard and doing such a great job on all those cars!!

Hats of to you all at Polished Bliss

Last edited by RB5 Boyo; 28 March 2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 26 March 2009, 09:00 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

^^^^^+1.
Old 28 March 2009, 12:25 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Obscene - on 2 accounts...

1. How much difference you make to the cars, wonderful stuff
2. The fact the plank that owns the Porsche washes it with a bucket and sponge. More money than sense springs to mind

Top work guys
Old 28 March 2009, 04:42 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Obscene - on 2 accounts...

1. How much difference you make to the cars, wonderful stuff
2. The fact the plank that owns the Porsche washes it with a bucket and sponge. More money than sense springs to mind

Top work guys
Give the guy a break, I'm sure he thought a sponge would be fine until he was educated by PB.

Awesome work as usually, let me know when my job will be ready at your Nottingham division
Old 28 March 2009, 05:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
Give the guy a break, I'm sure he thought a sponge would be fine until he was educated by PB.
A sponge and dirty bucket, erm nah... FAIL

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2009, 06:17 PM
sparkytrix
Scooby Regular

quality
Old 08 April 2009, 01:55 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

im sure the bloke with the porker can afford to have somebody else clean his car for him anyway
Old 08 April 2009, 02:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
im sure the bloke with the porker can afford to have somebody else clean his car for him anyway
Agreed, but you'd think he'd either leave it alone totally or have the common sense to try keep the paint in some sort of respectful condition.

But I know you run a carwash (Need more vids Michael)
Old 08 April 2009, 05:58 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Maybe he simply does not care as much, along with approx 99% of the rest of the population
Old 08 April 2009, 10:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Maybe he simply does not care as much, along with approx 99% of the rest of the population
Thats the ironic thing though - he cares enough to have a nice flash car, so you'd think he'd care enough to wash it at least half decently
Old 09 April 2009, 02:28 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

He does care a lot, he just didn't know any better in the past (like most of us before detailing came about). However, he does know how to care for it safely and effectively now, and he won't be making the same mistakes again!
Old 09 April 2009, 05:51 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
He does care a lot, he just didn't know any better in the past (like most of us before detailing came about). However, he does know how to care for it safely and effectively now, and he won't be making the same mistakes again!
Excellent news
Old 22 April 2009, 11:18 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Good thread and entertaining read.... another Polished Bliss success
Old 24 April 2009, 11:57 AM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

A cracking job as always!