Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Machine Polishing...is this any good?

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2008, 11:14 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Machine Polishing...is this any good?

found this, what do you think

SANDER POLISHER 1200W BLUE : InStockDirect

I realise that dual action is safer but is it really that easy to ruin your paint with a rotary polisher, especially as this goes down to 600rpm?

Any advice appreciated

Damo
Old 25 September 2008, 01:34 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking about getting a cheapo machine polisher. Wouldn't mind know what ppl think about this. Its gotta better than I can manage by hand?
Old 25 September 2008, 02:59 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this and it's ok. not great as it doesn't have the torque control but once you've practised it's not a bad bit of kit. far from the best but it'll do the job. roll on my makita is all i'm saying

yes it really is that easy. if you want to go for it go to your local scrappy and spend £10 on a scrap panel and practice you a$$ off on that first. it's not just that you'll burn through it but if you don't finish down properly you'll end up with buffer trails, holograming, marring etc and that can be a bitch to get rid of. with the DA it's a damn site easier.
Old 25 September 2008, 03:00 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I recall that a few years ago the £25 jobbie from Halfrauds was reckoned to be a pretty good buy. Don't know if that is still the case.
Old 25 September 2008, 03:54 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
I recall that a few years ago the £25 jobbie from Halfrauds was reckoned to be a pretty good buy. Don't know if that is still the case.
not worth the money fella. doesn't have enough ***** to cut into the paint. fine for removing residue. not much else.
Old 25 September 2008, 05:17 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

Spoke to Polshed Bliss today who reackon it is quite a lot harder to use than a DA so I think I will save for one of those as I don't really have time to overly practice and apparently the DA technique is easier to pick up.

Damo
Old 25 September 2008, 05:57 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Anyone care explain what a DA is?
Mneame you're scaring me with the buffer trails, holograming, marring etc
My car is pretty good paint wise but there are light swirls that need removing.
How much for a polish by someone like yourself? PM if you prefer.
I use Jeffs acrylic kit so I guess I could apply that myself afterwards.
Old 25 September 2008, 06:02 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

DA is a dual action polisher e.g. Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polishing Machine - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Damo
Old 25 September 2008, 09:30 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Yup Da is dual action. basically a rotary spins around a fixed point. because of this the heat can build up far quick and that's what will cause the damage. heat + paint = softer paint = damage if not carefull. da is much simliar to hand polishing. not only does it rotate around a fixed point but also moves randomly at the same time. less heat build up so less chance of damage within the same time. don;t get me wrong da can give just as much correct as a rotary but it is safer. the speeds of the da is more often than not slower than rotary and they are therefore easier to handle.

fantom you have pm
Old 25 September 2008, 09:54 PM
bonzee
Scooby Regular

Location: knocking on the door of 400bhp with v power smashed through it with e85

hi mate i bought one of these a few weeks ago but the orange one because supposed to be a bit better than the blue any way bit warey about going at my car so used on the misses car before mine , hell of a difference still took it easy because read about the horror storys (swirl marks all but a few have gone)same for the fine scratchs all i would say if you get one buy better pads 100 times better than the ones that come with it
Old 25 September 2008, 10:10 PM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Can you use a air DA?
Old 26 September 2008, 09:13 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonzee
hi mate i bought one of these a few weeks ago but the orange one because supposed to be a bit better than the blue any way bit warey about going at my car so used on the misses car before mine , hell of a difference still took it easy because read about the horror storys (swirl marks all but a few have gone)same for the fine scratchs all i would say if you get one buy better pads 100 times better than the ones that come with it

not used the orange one but yes said to be better for about an extra £10 - £15. Without a doubt don't put the pads that are supplied with it near your car they're pants. factor in the cost for a flexible backing plate and some good quality pads on top. about another £30 - £40 from PB etc.
Old 26 September 2008, 09:14 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynewbie72
Can you use a air DA?

have heard of it being done. only thing is i don't think you can control the speed very easily.
Old 26 September 2008, 11:34 AM
bonzee
Scooby Regular

Location: knocking on the door of 400bhp with v power smashed through it with e85

flexible backing plate and some good quality pads on top. about another £30 - £40 from PB etc.

that's exactly what i did and a quick change with the velcro pads
Old 26 September 2008, 01:14 PM
Damocell
Scooby Regular

is it this one?

HI-SPEC SANDER POLISHER 1200W : InStockDirect

why is it better, the blue seems to have a lower rpm, would that be easier to control?

Damo
Old 26 September 2008, 03:25 PM
bonzee
Scooby Regular

yes thats the one mate
Old 26 September 2008, 03:51 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

There is quite a lot of very useful information on the subject of polishers and which type to choose in this guide...

Car Care Advice - Polish - How to safely polish your paint by hand or machine

...note that the theory in it remains current, even if the recommendation for the choice of dual action polisher has changed (the Meguiars G220 now makes a lot more sense than the Porter Cable 7424 - the guide will be updated this autumn to relfect this). My advice for enthusiasts is to stick with dual action, unless you have the time to practice a lot with a rotary. Rotary polishing is a skill that takes a lot of time to master (if it is to be done right), and the chances of having an accident are far higher. It took me six months to become fully proficient with my rotary, whereas most people can become comfortable with a dual action in a morning.
Old 26 September 2008, 03:56 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I have a meguiars 220 and other kit I bought from Rich at polished bliss. I bought a cheaper one and it was rubbish. My advice is save up and get the megs stuff and kit from PB, the advice Rich gives is invaluable IMHO.

You must clay the car properly before you machine polish though. My Golf's paint was badly scuffed ect and it got rid of 95% of it.

This is definatley a case of 'you get what you pay for'
Old 26 September 2008, 04:12 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
My advice for enthusiasts is to stick with dual action, unless you have the time to practice a lot with a rotary. Rotary polishing is a skill that takes a lot of time to master (if it is to be done right), and the chances of having an accident are far higher. It took me six months to become fully proficient with my rotary, whereas most people can become comfortable with a dual action in a morning.
The above should be etched into anyones mind who is thinking about machine polishing. even 6 months is a quick time to pick up the skill level that Rich has with a rotary. I've had mine for about 18 months now and it's taken a lot of practice to be happy with it. I've only been using it on other peoples cars for about 3 - 4 months. before that i wouldn't dream of it. it was the pc 7424 only.