Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Cleaning kit help

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2008, 04:59 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning kit help

Need a little help make sure I get this right so any feedback appreciated

I have been using Autoglym products for a long time but am about out of most things and not over impressed with the finish on a white car so will try some different (more expensive) gear.

Was thinking of getting
Werkstat Auto Body Wash
Meguiars Quik Clay (never used clay before)
Werkstat Acrylic Kit (is everything best applied by hand?)
I already have a rotary polisher and some FARECLA G3 & G10 plan on using the G10 with the machine and G3 on the edges and places I daren’t use the machine to get rid of any swirls marks.
I have got some Autoglym glas cleaner and bumper care left so will use them on the glass and the outside black plastics (I also use this on the tyres)
Under the bonnet needs some cleaning up, are the Blackfire metal polishes designed to cut and highly polish the metal just like a polishing wheel and paste does? Or is it just to clean the metal up a bit without the highly polished finish? Don’t know if I can cope with keeping the alloy parts highly polished. And what would you recommend on the under bonnet plastics??
I also need something for the inside trim never liked the Autoglym interior stuff any recommendations??

Sorry to go on asking so many questions just don’t want to waste money and time getting it wrong Thanks

Last edited by rbaz; 16 July 2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 18 July 2008, 08:55 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Can anybody advise me
Old 18 July 2008, 09:56 PM
Mike Murphy
Scooby Regular

Damn, that's a long list you're looking at!!

Interior - poorboys natural dressing, since using it I;ve never looked back.

A/G glass cleaner is fine and I also still like their bumper care.

Engine Bay - 303 aerospace protectant for the plastics and meguiars NXT metal polish will keep the metal clean.

Bodywork wise - Meguiars clay bar and lube is the best for first time use I find.
Farecla G3 is quite severe so not too much, when cutting I use menzerna 3.02 and then polish with menzerna 1.06 and finally seal and wax with blackfire

Check out the polished bliss website for details for all the products

Happy detailing!!

Mike
Old 18 July 2008, 10:33 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Damn, that's a long list you're looking at!!

Interior - poorboys natural dressing, since using it I;ve never looked back.

A/G glass cleaner is fine and I also still like their bumper care.

Engine Bay - 303 aerospace protectant for the plastics and meguiars NXT metal polish will keep the metal clean.

Bodywork wise - Meguiars clay bar and lube is the best for first time use I find.
Farecla G3 is quite severe so not too much, when cutting I use menzerna 3.02 and then polish with menzerna 1.06 and finally seal and wax with blackfire

Check out the polished bliss website for details for all the products

Happy detailing!!

Mike
Thanks

I got some things right then just wanted to check I wasn’t way off.
She needs a good clean up under the bonnet I have never managed to keep under there clean on any car but will give it a go

A guy knocked on the door the other day and asked me if I would take the car to a local Competition/performance show in September (Imprezas are very rare here) so wanted to make sure she looked her best
Old 19 July 2008, 12:54 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

yep they are rare took my scooby to Le Mans and parked up at a supermarket to find 10 poeple looking at it, and snaping photos on there phones...

blackfire tyre gel is the only thing i would add to that list, check out PB site mate
Old 21 July 2008, 11:54 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

The proposed list and routine looks okay, bar the polishing stage - G3 and G10 really are poor in comparison to the latest generation of Menzerna and 3M polishes for use by rotary. Either Menzerna RD3.02 and 85RD, or 3M Extra Fine Compound and Ultrafina SE would be much better choices, from the point of view of ease (much less messy) of use and quality of final result (the sharper, smaller abrasives cut better and leave a far sharper and wetter looking finish... and on white in particular the wetter the finish looks after polishing the better the final result will be! With regard to the polishing of metals under the bonnet, the Blackfire range is good and offers everything from heavy cut through to final polishing, but really needs to be used with polishing machines and pads for best results (we tend to use a Dremel tool and felt pads when we use the range on engine bays). For heavy polishing of older tarnished components the Blackfire trio are great, but on newer bays where just light polishing is required to keep everything looking spot on, then either Meguiars NXT or Raceglaze Alutech are better bets.
Old 22 July 2008, 11:18 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
The proposed list and routine looks okay, bar the polishing stage - G3 and G10 really are poor in comparison to the latest generation of Menzerna and 3M polishes for use by rotary. Either Menzerna RD3.02 and 85RD, or 3M Extra Fine Compound and Ultrafina SE would be much better choices, from the point of view of ease (much less messy) of use and quality of final result (the sharper, smaller abrasives cut better and leave a far sharper and wetter looking finish... and on white in particular the wetter the finish looks after polishing the better the final result will be! With regard to the polishing of metals under the bonnet, the Blackfire range is good and offers everything from heavy cut through to final polishing, but really needs to be used with polishing machines and pads for best results (we tend to use a Dremel tool and felt pads when we use the range on engine bays). For heavy polishing of older tarnished components the Blackfire trio are great, but on newer bays where just light polishing is required to keep everything looking spot on, then either Meguiars NXT or Raceglaze Alutech are better bets.
Thanks for the advice
Think I will go with the 85RD the finish isn't bad on the car I can always use a little G3 in places if needed then clean up with 85RD
Right so I have on the list

Werkstat Auto Body Wash
Werkstat Acrylic Kit
Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt
Meguiars Quik Clay
Poorboys Natural Look Dressing
303 aerospace
Blackfire tyre gell
Menzerna 85RD
3M 150 mm Perfect-it III Ultrafina SE Finishing Pad
Meguiars Foam Applicator Pads

I think thats it for now bank balance cant take any more.
Old 20 August 2008, 09:52 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Well my order arrived and have been busy over the last few days on my first proper car detail
I thought my car was clean and shiny before but the finish was not good.
I got some of the car machine polished today after claying and the results are unbelievable the finish is like glass I will post a full report when I am finished.
Thanks for the help/recommendations but the wife giving me grief for spending more time with the car then her
Old 20 August 2008, 09:56 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

ha ha photos needed dude
Old 20 August 2008, 10:58 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
ha ha photos needed dude
Bad light or shi*e camera but I couldn't get a decent pic tonight hopefully get some better shots tomorrow.
Before very badly contaminated and swirls galore. I clayed it and rotary machined with Meguiars 85RD and got fantastic results.

After

Last edited by rbaz; 22 August 2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 21 August 2008, 11:00 AM
Robbieben
Scooby Regular

Looks like a very nice improvement to gloss and clarity.
Old 22 August 2008, 10:25 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Finally finished the car

The sun was very low so light was a problem will do a write up tomorrow or Sunday and take some shots in the sun with some reflection shots but am very chuffed with the results being my first proper detail
Old 23 August 2008, 07:23 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

looks great dude interesting to read the full write up
Old 29 August 2008, 12:31 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Great look to the car afterwards, 50:50 correction shot looks good too.