ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Car Care (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/)
-   -   Cleaning kit help (https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/700664-cleaning-kit-help.html)

rbaz 16 July 2008 04:59 PM

Cleaning kit help

Need a little help make sure I get this right so any feedback appreciated :thumb:

I have been using Autoglym products for a long time but am about out of most things and not over impressed with the finish on a white car so will try some different (more expensive) gear.

Was thinking of getting
Werkstat Auto Body Wash
Meguiars Quik Clay (never used clay before)
Werkstat Acrylic Kit (is everything best applied by hand?)
I already have a rotary polisher and some FARECLA G3 & G10 plan on using the G10 with the machine and G3 on the edges and places I daren’t use the machine to get rid of any swirls marks.
I have got some Autoglym glas cleaner and bumper care left so will use them on the glass and the outside black plastics (I also use this on the tyres)
Under the bonnet needs some cleaning up, are the Blackfire metal polishes designed to cut and highly polish the metal just like a polishing wheel and paste does? Or is it just to clean the metal up a bit without the highly polished finish? Don’t know if I can cope with keeping the alloy parts highly polished. And what would you recommend on the under bonnet plastics??
I also need something for the inside trim never liked the Autoglym interior stuff any recommendations??

Sorry to go on asking so many questions just don’t want to waste money and time getting it wrong Thanks :thumb:

rbaz 18 July 2008 08:55 PM

Can anybody advise me :)

Mike Murphy 18 July 2008 09:56 PM

Damn, that's a long list you're looking at!!

Interior - poorboys natural dressing, since using it I;ve never looked back.

A/G glass cleaner is fine and I also still like their bumper care.

Engine Bay - 303 aerospace protectant for the plastics and meguiars NXT metal polish will keep the metal clean.

Bodywork wise - Meguiars clay bar and lube is the best for first time use I find.
Farecla G3 is quite severe so not too much, when cutting I use menzerna 3.02 and then polish with menzerna 1.06 and finally seal and wax with blackfire

Check out the polished bliss website for details for all the products

Happy detailing!!

Mike

rbaz 18 July 2008 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy (Post 8014854)
Damn, that's a long list you're looking at!!

Interior - poorboys natural dressing, since using it I;ve never looked back.

A/G glass cleaner is fine and I also still like their bumper care.

Engine Bay - 303 aerospace protectant for the plastics and meguiars NXT metal polish will keep the metal clean.

Bodywork wise - Meguiars clay bar and lube is the best for first time use I find.
Farecla G3 is quite severe so not too much, when cutting I use menzerna 3.02 and then polish with menzerna 1.06 and finally seal and wax with blackfire

Check out the polished bliss website for details for all the products

Happy detailing!!

Mike

I got some things right then :lol1: just wanted to check I wasn’t way off.
She needs a good clean up under the bonnet I have never managed to keep under there clean on any car but will give it a go :D

A guy knocked on the door the other day and asked me if I would take the car to a local Competition/performance show in September (Imprezas are very rare here) so wanted to make sure she looked her best :cool:

F1 CJE UK 19 July 2008 12:54 AM

yep they are rare took my scooby to Le Mans and parked up at a supermarket to find 10 poeple looking at it, and snaping photos on there phones...

blackfire tyre gel is the only thing i would add to that list, check out PB site mate

Rich @ PB 21 July 2008 11:54 AM

The proposed list and routine looks okay, bar the polishing stage - G3 and G10 really are poor in comparison to the latest generation of Menzerna and 3M polishes for use by rotary. Either Menzerna RD3.02 and 85RD, or 3M Extra Fine Compound and Ultrafina SE would be much better choices, from the point of view of ease (much less messy) of use and quality of final result (the sharper, smaller abrasives cut better and leave a far sharper and wetter looking finish... and on white in particular the wetter the finish looks after polishing the better the final result will be! With regard to the polishing of metals under the bonnet, the Blackfire range is good and offers everything from heavy cut through to final polishing, but really needs to be used with polishing machines and pads for best results (we tend to use a Dremel tool and felt pads when we use the range on engine bays). For heavy polishing of older tarnished components the Blackfire trio are great, but on newer bays where just light polishing is required to keep everything looking spot on, then either Meguiars NXT or Raceglaze Alutech are better bets. :thumb:

rbaz 22 July 2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss (Post 8019092)
The proposed list and routine looks okay, bar the polishing stage - G3 and G10 really are poor in comparison to the latest generation of Menzerna and 3M polishes for use by rotary. Either Menzerna RD3.02 and 85RD, or 3M Extra Fine Compound and Ultrafina SE would be much better choices, from the point of view of ease (much less messy) of use and quality of final result (the sharper, smaller abrasives cut better and leave a far sharper and wetter looking finish... and on white in particular the wetter the finish looks after polishing the better the final result will be! With regard to the polishing of metals under the bonnet, the Blackfire range is good and offers everything from heavy cut through to final polishing, but really needs to be used with polishing machines and pads for best results (we tend to use a Dremel tool and felt pads when we use the range on engine bays). For heavy polishing of older tarnished components the Blackfire trio are great, but on newer bays where just light polishing is required to keep everything looking spot on, then either Meguiars NXT or Raceglaze Alutech are better bets. :thumb:

Thanks for the advice :thumb:
Think I will go with the 85RD the finish isn't bad on the car I can always use a little G3 in places if needed then clean up with 85RD
Right so I have on the list :norty:

Werkstat Auto Body Wash
Werkstat Acrylic Kit
Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt
Meguiars Quik Clay
Poorboys Natural Look Dressing
303 aerospace
Blackfire tyre gell
Menzerna 85RD
3M 150 mm Perfect-it III Ultrafina SE Finishing Pad
Meguiars Foam Applicator Pads

I think thats it for now :cry: bank balance cant take any more.

rbaz 20 August 2008 09:52 PM

Well my order arrived and have been busy over the last few days on my first proper car detail :D
I thought my car was clean and shiny before :lol1: but the finish was not good.
I got some of the car machine polished today after claying and the results are unbelievable the finish is like glass I will post a full report when I am finished.
Thanks for the help/recommendations :thumb: but the wife giving me grief for spending more time with the car then her :Whatever_

F1 CJE UK 20 August 2008 09:56 PM

ha ha photos needed dude

rbaz 20 August 2008 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK (Post 8081216)
ha ha photos needed dude

Bad light or shi*e camera :wonder: but I couldn't get a decent pic tonight hopefully get some better shots tomorrow.
Before http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/rbaz/IMG_0033.jpg very badly contaminated and swirls galore. I clayed it and rotary machined with Meguiars 85RD and got fantastic results.

After http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/rbaz/IMG_0048.jpg

Robbieben 21 August 2008 11:00 AM

Looks like a very nice improvement to gloss and clarity.:)

rbaz 22 August 2008 10:25 PM

Finally finished the car :D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4.../IMG_00582.jpg

The sun was very low so light was a problem will do a write up tomorrow or Sunday and take some shots in the sun with some reflection shots but am very chuffed with the results being my first proper detail :D

F1 CJE UK 23 August 2008 07:23 PM

looks great dude interesting to read the full write up :thumb:

Rich @ PB 29 August 2008 12:31 PM

Great look to the car afterwards, 50:50 correction shot looks good too. :thumb: