Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Black & Decker KP600 Polisher - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2008, 01:25 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black & Decker KP600 Polisher - any good?

Hi All

I'm in Taiwan at the moment and spotted a deal on this random orbit polisher whilst trying to find the Meguiars or PC offerings. This KP600 is 60W and random orbit so should be alright for a beginner with these things? It is 110v 60hz which is a pain but not a huge problem as I already have a suitable converter. I see from a bit of googling they also do a 240v version but this is labelled as 110v so I assume they're not actually dual voltage. Anyone with any experience of this anyway? It's about £25 so hard to pass up! Will it be compatible with good quality heads?

Cheers.
Old 14 May 2008, 01:42 PM
daves2rs
Scooby Regular

Give it a try for £25 in my opinion. Havent heard of it so far but find out how much the throw it has.

Any pics.........
Old 14 May 2008, 03:33 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Cheers. Don't know the throw but will try to find out (what's a good value?) It's no-load speed is 4400 opm. Pic of it is here:

BLACK-DECKER-KP600-WA-R19963 Black & Decker KP600 Waxer / Polisher

Last edited by scoobyster; 14 May 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:10 PM
daves2rs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Cheers. Don't know the throw but it's 4400 opm. Pic of it is here:

BLACK-DECKER-KP600-WA-R19963 Black & Decker KP600 Waxer / Polisher
Give it a miss after looking at it. Probably only suitable for removing wax but even then i wouldnt use it. It certainly doesnt look it has the design to remove swirls.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:56 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks for your views. Can you expand on that though, is it because the design of the body won't allow the user to put enough force in or what? It is bigger than it looks in the pic by the way, if you're worried about it looking like a handheld sort of thing.
Old 14 May 2008, 05:28 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Here's some better pics:
Black & Decker Power Tools

I've got 4 cars to take care of, 2 of which (Mazda MX-5 in black and Impreza in DBM) need some quite major correction but none of them need to be perfect and I'm not going to get obsessive about it. After that they'll probably get an annual polish and a wax every 3 months or so. So I'm looking for something suited to that and not to invest too much in something that won't get used all that much.

There are a good selection of clay bars in the shop I found but the only brand I recognise is Holts and the instructions and labelling is all in Chinese so I don't know how mild/severe they are and so on. A big bar is about £5. Also they've got a good selection of Sonax and 3M waxes but again I've no idea what is what!
Old 15 May 2008, 03:07 PM
daves2rs
Scooby Regular

Holy sh?!t. Check out the pics on that site!! ha ha ha He must have about the whole bottle of polish on that section and the pad has turned a funny blue colour

Yes the handling design is poor and this is important when using for long periods of time A machine needs to be comfy and work correctly and this looks it should be left in the shop display.

The PC\UDM\G220 albeit more exspensive will produce the results for a novice detailer. The device in question doesnt appear to have variable speed control which is also important.

If your not looking to invest but get rid of some swirls then use clay\Polish (AG super resin or Menz IP via a german applicator pad)\Wax which will give you a decent finsh with some durability. Excuse any typo errors
Old 23 May 2008, 02:36 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

It's more of a buffer than a polisher, so better for taking products off rather than trying to polish defects out. The max top speed of 4,400 opm is too slow for correction on harder paint, and the design doesn't look great from an ergonomic point of view. For proper polishing as opposed to buffing (which in my humble opinion should always be done by hand), then look towards the G220, PC/UDM designs instead.