Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

need advice on products

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2007, 03:02 PM
harry12
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post need advice on products

I own 04 reg blue wrx sti and I need some advice on what products would best suit my car as there are lots of products out there and I am new to using these products. I have done a little research and come up with the following, but I am not sure whether these items most suit my car:

1.wash-menzerna auto shampoo
2.clean-meguiars quick clay with lubricant
3.polish-menzerna finishing touch glaze
4.last step-menzerna full molecular jacket (I am quite busy therefore prefer to use a product which is durable)

Not sure what to use for maintenance. How long would the whole process take bearing in mind I am a novice.
Old 28 July 2007, 04:32 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Wecome to SNet. Polished Bliss has written a comprehensive guide on car care. Feel free to ask anything you are unsure about.

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...re-guides.html

HTH

Ant
Old 03 August 2007, 04:17 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

For the benefit of others reading this thread, here is what I sent in reply by e-mail...

Hi Haroon,

sorry for the delayed reply, we were away at Ten of the Best at the weekend, and have only just got back. As a long-term sponsor of ScoobyNet, I have a very good knowledge of what works well on WR Blue, and in my opinion the optimal choice boils down to either the Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic system or the Blackfire system (that's not to say the Menzerna products aren't good, but on WR Blue they can be bettered by the options mentioned). I would personally look at Meguiars Shampoo Plus for you shampoo, as it is great value and works great with either system. Your choice of clay is spot on, no need to change it at all. The glazing step can still be done with the Menzerna product if you go down the Blackfire route, or alternatively you could use the Blackfire glaze (called Gloss Enhancing Polish). However, note that if you choose the Jeffs Werkstatt route that a glazing step won't work, as the basecoat product will strip away the glazing oils.

To help you decide what finish to go for, here is a link to an open access thread on ScoobyNet in which I show pictures of the Werkstatt and Blackfire finishes on WR Blue STI's. The thread also lists what products are needed to achieve the finishes, along with what applicators to use (note that the Werkstatt system comes with all necessary pads and towels included)...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...ml#post6908983

Best bet is to have a look at the above link, and then let me know what finish you prefer - I can then answer any more questions, and supply more detailed instructions for use. Out of the two options, the Werkstatt system is more durable, but gives a shinier look with more flake pop (the FMJ would also give this look, albeit with a little less durability). Blackfire is less durable and will need topping up every 6-8 weeks (20 minute job after washing), but the finish is much wetter and glossier, and many Subaru owners seem to prefer this. In terms of the length of the process, with either system you will need to allow a full day for the first major detail (wash, clay, glaze/polish, protect) and then 1-2 hours a week thereafter for a wash/quick detail, and a little longer once every 6-8 weeks to top up the last step protective product. Thus, an easy time efficient routine with either system.

In terms of maintenance, both systems have quick detailers that work well; Jeffs Acrylic Glos and Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant respectively. They are best used when needed after washing drying to boost gloss and add a little more to the finish. For wheels, Poorboy's Wheel Sealant is simply excellent at protecting rims and making them easy to clean (it prevents brake dust from bonding). However, if you prefer to clean the wheels every week and not choose to protect them, Menzerna Gel 7.5 is ph neutral and entirely safe for regular use, and although it cleans well, it will not eat the laquer on the rims. My own personal preference is to protect the rims with the wheel sealant every 4-6 weeks and then just wash them with a normal shampoo mix.

Hope that helps, if you still choose to go down the Menzerna route then please note we won't have fresh stock of the shampoo or FMJ for around 4 weeks or so; last time we ordered from the US it was not available.

Cheers for now,

Rich