Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2007, 03:27 AM
STIain
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please

Have been recommended the following from a non subaru driver so can anyone else add/change anything?

POLISH

Either Megs #83 coupled with Megs #80 or Menzerna Intensive polish coupled with Final Finish.

SEALANT

Either Megs 21 or Megs #7,

WAX

Megs #16, #26 or any of the Collinite range i.e. 476s, 845 or 915 .#16 or #26 in the summer and the Collinte in the winter.

GLASS

Either AG Glass Polish or Megs glass Cleaner.

PLASTIC & RUBBER TRIM

exterior AG Bumper & Rubber Care and for the interior Poorboys Natural Look.

TYRES

Megs Endurance Tyre gel

Will be doing all the bodywork with a pc
Old 07 February 2007, 09:44 PM
Detail Matt
Scooby Regular

Hi ian

the products used would generally be chosen given a lot of factors

ie - extent of defects to be removed, colour/make and thickness of paint, outside temp ( menz has temp issues however if using PC then they should not be too prevelant) also the time available and the finish wanted.

If you posted up an image or describe the objectives then I can help you further

matt
Old 07 February 2007, 09:59 PM
STIain
Scooby Newbie

Minor swirls over most of car (wr blue sti). had bonnet detailed last weekend with the above products using a pc. menzerna final finish was enough to remove 95% of defects on bonnet.
Reading on the paint thickness was between 85 and 105 over while car, i will be using a pc and setting aside a whole weekend to do the whole car. Not got any preference on finish would just like something that will last a good 4-6 months

Iain.
Old 07 February 2007, 10:11 PM
Detail Matt
Scooby Regular

ok, assuming that you have the above products then, If you are getting 95% defect correction with the PC and FF i would continue in that vain throughout the entirety of the vehicle, and maybe revisiting the more tricky defects with a spot repair pad, and if needing to drop to IP for a slightly more aggressive effect, you may go back to FF after however IP does break down well and usually can be ready for seal/lsp right after a paint cleanse.

Megs #21 is a good synthetic sealant that also has light masking properties that may help hide any remaining defects if you are not entirely happy.

Collinite 476s is a hugely overlooked product and ideally suited to this weather and give a great durable shine, good depth and exceptional longevity. certainly meeting the 4-6 months criteria.

Ag slightly wetter than PB and really depends on the finish you want - both ok really

Megs endurance is a good product, agin it yeild a high gloss if that what you are seeking.

HTH

Matt
Old 07 February 2007, 10:54 PM
STIain
Scooby Newbie

Thats great thanx matt
Old 08 February 2007, 10:36 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Collinite 476s is a hugely overlooked product and ideally suited to this weather and give a great durable shine, good depth and exceptional longevity. certainly meeting the 4-6 months criteria.

cracking stuff

Old 08 February 2007, 11:25 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Another protective system to consider is the Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic system; it will enhance the flake in your paint, leave a cracking wet shine and give even more protection than the Collinite. My products of choice for both winter protection and making the best of WR Blue. Here's some images of what the range looks like on WR Blue...

Old 08 February 2007, 12:02 PM
BigBoots
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Another protective system to consider is the Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic system; it will enhance the flake in your paint, leave a cracking wet shine and give even more protection than the Collinite. My products of choice for both winter protection and making the best of WR Blue. Here's some images of what the range looks like on WR Blue...
The Collinite stuff is marketed as a durable wax. Do you mind explaining how/why the Jeffs gives more protection ?
Old 08 February 2007, 12:33 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

slightly off topic but what do you use on those tyres Rich??
Old 08 February 2007, 07:51 PM
STIain
Scooby Newbie

This is the results i got with the products recommended to me by a non subaru owner. Will give the jeffs a try.
Old 09 February 2007, 11:23 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigBoots
The Collinite stuff is marketed as a durable wax. Do you mind explaining how/why the Jeffs gives more protection ?
Simple. Experience! I've used both systems, and have a network of pro detailer contacts who I swap info with; out of all of the various systems I and my contacts have tried, the Werkstatt Acrylic system offers by far the greatest durability. I have something like 8-9 coats of Acrylic Jett on my car, which were applied last September prior to TRAX; since then it's received only one quick top up after a wash in October, and it's still beading like crazy and requires very little effort to wash. Based on previous findings, I fully expect to be able to go through to late April without doing anything else to the car, at which point it will receive a major weekend detail and a coat of Zymol Vintage for the summer months. Eight months solid protection with little or no maintenance beats the 4-6 months offered by Collinite, and makes the Werkstatt Acrylic system my choice for winter protection.
Old 09 February 2007, 11:24 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rasher
slightly off topic but what do you use on those tyres Rich??
Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel.
Old 09 February 2007, 12:02 PM
BigBoots
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Simple. Experience! I've used both systems, and have a network of pro detailer contacts who I swap info with; out of all of the various systems I and my contacts have tried, the Werkstatt Acrylic system offers by far the greatest durability. I have something like 8-9 coats of Acrylic Jett on my car, which were applied last September prior to TRAX; since then it's received only one quick top up after a wash in October, and it's still beading like crazy and requires very little effort to wash. Based on previous findings, I fully expect to be able to go through to late April without doing anything else to the car, at which point it will receive a major weekend detail and a coat of Zymol Vintage for the summer months. Eight months solid protection with little or no maintenance beats the 4-6 months offered by Collinite, and makes the Werkstatt Acrylic system my choice for winter protection.
Thanks for the explanation, Rich.

8-9 coats - I'll have to try that

Is the 8-9 coat rule also applicable to Wet Diamond and Carnauba Jett ?

Last edited by BigBoots; 09 February 2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 12 February 2007, 11:25 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

It should be the case, although in my experience I'm not convinced that Wet Diamond layers as well as the Jeffs Acrylic system. The Jeffs Carnauba system benefits from extra layers of Carnauba Jett ahead of winter, and because it doesn't use harsh petroleum-based solvents to suspend the wax, it does layer very well. I think the 8-9 layers is overkill; I did it for the shows, but I think 2-3 coats of Acrylic Jett over Prime Acrylic would have given the same durability as what I'm seeing now. Certainly 2-3 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze over Klasse AIO used to give me 6+ months, and the base chemistry of these products is very, very similar to Acrylic Jett and Prime Acrylic.