Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Possible to buff out scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2006, 03:52 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to buff out scratches?

Afternoon chaps, went out in the car at dinner time and misjudged the distance between the car and a bollard!!

Theres a few small scuff marks on the corner of the front bumper which dont look too bad.

With a bit of determination would these polish out. Would the combination of scratch remover / red T-cut ( my cars red ) and an electric polisher get rid of the marks do you think?

Can this combo be used on other areas of the car aswell, as ive got numerous miscalleneous scratches on other bits of the car - doors etc.

Thanks

Adam
Old 29 August 2006, 04:15 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Hard to say without seeing the damage - can you take some good quality pics and post them here for a look please?
Old 29 August 2006, 04:45 PM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK mate, ill have a go at cleaning up the mark / area and post a few pics later on.

Adam
Old 30 August 2006, 01:06 AM
OzzyWRX
Scooby Regular

Can you feel the scratch with your thumbnail? Rule of thumb is (pun intended ) that it won't buff out if you can. You could always try a touch up and some wet n dry, or just take it to a bodyshop.
Old 30 August 2006, 08:15 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

Morning guys, the reason why i didnt post any pictures last night was because once i had cleaned up the area and tried various things it wasnt that bad.

I first used some scratch remover ( G2 i think its called ) and left it to harden. Then rubbed off the excess and applied some red t-cut. This helped to mask / remove the scuffed area quite considerably. After a few minutes i rubbed off the hardened t-cut which not only removed / lightened most of the scratches but left a brilliant shine!

Only thing left to do is to fill the holes in the paint ( black is showing through ) with my red touch-up stick when i eventually get it.

Anyone got any tips for touching up stone chips? I presume your best using something like the end of a cocktail stick to apply small amounts of paint at a time instead of dabbing it on.

Once this has been done is there anything else you need to do afterwards e.g. polish to seal the area?

Thanks

Adam
Old 30 August 2006, 10:33 AM
RapidSeven
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AdamCrank
Morning guys, the reason why i didnt post any pictures last night was because once i had cleaned up the area and tried various things it wasnt that bad.

I first used some scratch remover ( G2 i think its called ) and left it to harden. Then rubbed off the excess and applied some red t-cut. This helped to mask / remove the scuffed area quite considerably. After a few minutes i rubbed off the hardened t-cut which not only removed / lightened most of the scratches but left a brilliant shine!

Only thing left to do is to fill the holes in the paint ( black is showing through ) with my red touch-up stick when i eventually get it.

Anyone got any tips for touching up stone chips? I presume your best using something like the end of a cocktail stick to apply small amounts of paint at a time instead of dabbing it on.

Once this has been done is there anything else you need to do afterwards e.g. polish to seal the area?

Thanks

Adam
Adam, the best thing to do with touch-ups if your touching in small area's is just nick off the point of the tooth pick, this is much better than using the tooth pick as standard, as its quite tricky to get any paint onto the wood.

Firstly, use the G2 on the area your touching up, as this will clean and uncontaminate the area and the touch up will adhere much better. To try and get a better finish, you can go on forever, waiting to harden, cutting back, wet and drying and re-applying. A simple magnifying glass may be of help

Its like it says on the tin really, touch up is mearly for doing so. If you like things to be perfect, then you'll have to pay for it to be painted. However if you take your time, im sure you'll get a pretty good result.

When your happy with the touching up, wait for it to dry ( leave it over night to be safe ) and give the area/s a good polish with a good polish. AutoGlym Super Resin is a very nice, easy and effective one to use.

Try and post up some pics for us to have a look at mate if you can.

R7
Old 30 August 2006, 10:50 AM
AdamCrank
Scooby Regular

OK, what ill do is a before and after comparison.

I might not be able to get pics up until Saturday as im busy at work and my cars in the garage on friday for a check-up before winter sets in.

Thanks for the advice fellas

Adam
Old 31 August 2006, 08:47 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

When I do touch in work I clean the scratch/chip out with degreaser, then touch in the paint using a very fine paint brush, building up the layers until the 'filling' sits slightly proud of the paint. Then I wetsand the 'filling' flush with the surrounding paint using 3000 grit wet and dry soaked overnight, and then finally polish out the haze with a moderate to heavy compound, like Menzerna Power Gloss. It is time consuming, but you can get very good results using this method.