Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Which Polish when applying by hand?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2006, 03:27 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Polish when applying by hand?

Which polishing product would you recommend for a sonic blue P1, bearing in mind it'll be applied by hand ... ... Polished Bliss website seems to suggest the Poorboys range works well by hand or PC...!?

... the application will be preceeded with a wash (using Poorboys slick 'n' suds) and I'm planning on finishing the clean using Blackfire Wet Diamond...!

Also, has anybody used ScratchX and how do you rate it!?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Bradders
Old 10 May 2006, 07:23 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

are you trying to remove swirl marks by hand mate??
Old 10 May 2006, 07:25 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

if you are you could try Poorboys SSR 2 if you havent got a p/c
Old 10 May 2006, 08:03 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rasher
are you trying to remove swirl marks by hand mate??
Yeah, and other 'mild' imperfections in the paintwork...

... cheers for the recommendation
Old 10 May 2006, 08:10 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

no probs, anything more than the SSR2 would be too hard going by hand mate
Old 10 May 2006, 09:45 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Menzerna Intensive polish works wonders on P1 paint by hand - have a look at the P1 detail I posted afew weeks back. I did a few of the panels by hand, before and after pics in the thread. It's best applied using German Applicator Pads and buffed off using Super Thick n Plush Towels.
Old 11 May 2006, 07:49 PM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Menzerna Intensive polish works wonders on P1 paint by hand - have a look at the P1 detail I posted afew weeks back. I did a few of the panels by hand, before and after pics in the thread. It's best applied using German Applicator Pads and buffed off using Super Thick n Plush Towels.
Cheers for the suggestion PB... but is there anything slightly less hard work (i.e. less than 10 mins per panel!!) ... would the SSR2 be ok or even the PB's Professional Polish..!?

Thanks in advance.
Bradders
Old 11 May 2006, 10:05 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Both would be okay, but I don't feel they would remove the defects you say you have. Contrary to popular opinion, Subaru paint is bloody tough to work, and the fact that Intensive Polish (quite an aggressive product) required ten minutes per panel on that P1 reinforces this point! My fear is if you go with the above mentioned Poorboy's polishes they won't get the swirls out, and you'll end up unhappy with the results.

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 11 May 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12 May 2006, 07:24 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

My fear is if you go with the above mentioned Poorboy's polishes they won't get the swirls out,
managed to get some minor ones out but plenty of elbow grease was called for.
Old 12 May 2006, 09:39 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Menzerna Intensive polish works wonders
so is this better at removing swirls than SSR2 on Subaru paint as it is so tough the swirls arent majorly bad but the remaining ones SSR2 wont touch
Old 12 May 2006, 12:56 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

In my opinion yes - IP has a lot more cut than even SSR2.5. You saw the before and after pics of the panels on the P1 done by hand with IP - SSR2.5 would not have given the same result, and SSR2 even less so. That said, it still didn't get everything out, so for full correction Scooby paint definitely needs the machine.
Old 14 May 2006, 12:06 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

A small query - is the Menzerna IP a wipe on/wipe off product or do you need to really work it in and gradually remove using varying levels of pressure?

I had to use this method with AutoGlym Paint Renovator which has given me decent results but would be a nightmare to do on the whole car - so I'm wondering if the IP is an easier product to use AND gives better results.
Old 14 May 2006, 11:07 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

No, IP requires hard graft to work properly - 5-10 mins per panel. There is no wipe on, wipe off product that I know off that will get swirl marks out of Subaru paint - it needs to be properly polished, with a high work rate.
Old 15 May 2006, 06:08 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Cheers - is the IP a swirl remover and polish in one? (Depending on application)
Old 15 May 2006, 11:22 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Aye, here's the description from the site... essentially the abrasives break down as you work it, meaning it's cutting action progressively lessens and it becomes more like a finishing polish the longer you work it, which means it typically leaves a perfect finish...

Menzerna Intensive Polish is designed to restore dull, oxidised, neglected paint and remove major paint defects (severe swirl marks and scratches). This polishing compound has revolutionised the paint correction process, as it is capable of removing severe swirl marks and deep scratches with little or no surface hazing. These characteristics are rare, as hazing is a normal result of compounding, and is typically removed by further polishing steps using increasingly finer polishes until a high gloss finish is restored. However, Menzerna Intensive Polish creates so little haze that it is often possible to go straight from compounding to adding wax or sealant protection without an intervening polishing step. In cases where an intervening polishing step is required (often on darker coloured cars), the amount of additional polishing required is significantly reduced, saving time and effort. Unlike many polishing compounds, Menzerna Intensive Polish is water-based. It does contain a petroleum distillate, but this serves as a lubricant, not a solvent, meaning that it will not soften or affect the curing of fresh paint. Also unique is the fact that it contains no fillers of any kind, meaning that defect removal is permanent rather than temporary. The abilities of Menzerna Intensive Polish are further enhanced when used in conjunction with our High Gloss Constant Pressure Orange Power Pads. Menzerna Intensive Polish may be applied by hand or by machine polisher, although the best results are obtained using the latter.

Old 16 May 2006, 11:22 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Rich.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:01 AM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Was pretty much set on the Menzerna IP for polishing / swirl removal by hand (unless my Meg's ScratchX dramatically improves the swirls) but was reading that the JEFFS range work well by hand ... would you recommend I hold on 'til this is available...? I appreciate that i'll never achieve full swirl removal by hand but just want the best finish (... preferably with the least effort )

Thanks in advance.

Bradders
Old 17 May 2006, 10:49 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

Have had a couple of sessions with my MY02 STi in blue black mica. Been getting help from a mate with his PC, but last night while working on the swirls i had a go with the Menzerna Intensive polish by hand on some parts while he was working with the PC. Applied using German Applicator Pads and buffed off using Super Thick n Plush Towels as rich recommends, and it definately did remove plenty of swirls, but any of the slightley deeper ones either required a lot more working of the product, or left and tackled with the PC. Using the Menerna IP by hand definately does remove those fine swirls, the ones that you always see glistening in the sun, with a bit of effort, but for deeper swirls, it required a lot more work.
Old 17 May 2006, 07:51 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by P1-Brad
Was pretty much set on the Menzerna IP for polishing / swirl removal by hand (unless my Meg's ScratchX dramatically improves the swirls) but was reading that the JEFFS range work well by hand ... would you recommend I hold on 'til this is available...? I appreciate that i'll never achieve full swirl removal by hand but just want the best finish (... preferably with the least effort )

Thanks in advance.

Bradders
Jeffs is great by hand for deep cleaning, but it has no swirl correction powers (it works by chamical action, not abrasive particles, which you need for swirl removal). IP is the way to go, as supported above.
Old 18 May 2006, 08:22 AM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys ... Menzerna IP it is then!

Last question (honest ) ... after the polish can I then apply a coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond...? ... and would it then be a case of monthly applications of Blackfire WD to maintain the look?? In the absence of a PC I don't wanna make the polishing/glazing/waxing/sealing process too onerous!! At the moment i'm just using Meg's NTX Tech Wax monthly...

I just wanna make sure that once i've got the finish I'm after it gets maintained for the next 6-12 months!

Cheers
Bradders
Old 18 May 2006, 10:07 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Yes, Wet Diamond is ideal for putting on after the IP step - I would another coat every 4-6 weeks, with a wash at least every two weeks in between.
Old 18 May 2006, 10:08 AM
dmc1980
Scooby Regular

The route im taking with the PC, but you can do it by hand is,

Menzerna Intensive polish applied using the PC
Menzerna Finishing Polish again with the PC

then im going with the blackfire polish then the blackfire wet diamond. As I said above, with a bit of work the 2 stages done with the PC will bring it up well when done with hand.
Old 18 May 2006, 10:33 AM
P1-Brad
Scooby Regular

Thanks again fellas...

... over and out
Old 18 May 2006, 01:05 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Menzerna IP it is then!

yep mine should be here tomorrow