Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Recomendations for Deep Blue Mica

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2006, 06:31 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recomendations for Deep Blue Mica

I've heard a few comments from others with this colour scoob and I don't know why but none of use seem to be happy with what end results we're getting. It seems that the paint is rather "thin", and I was wondering how to get it to look nicely "deep"!

My paintwork is not fantastic by any means and I'm looking at getting a few products in time for a good pre-summer attack - until now I've been using the Meguairs 3 step which has been OK but doesn't seem to have a good lifepsan as the bottles are getting empty its time for replacements.

I love the way the car looks when rinsing it - extremely rich and dark but I can't seem to replicate it with what I have, I've also tried Auto Glym's black polish and extra gloss stuff but it's not giving me the results I'm looking for.

Any suggestions as the products on the website seem to be what I'm looking for price wise.
Old 23 February 2006, 06:38 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your paint code messiah is yours the same as mine.... 95H
There seems to be two shades
Dark Blue Mica 52D
Deep Blue Mica 95H
Old 23 February 2006, 06:57 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

95H same as yours - I think the other is slightly older from the jap import STI's.
Old 23 February 2006, 07:04 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Not sure....Dannyboy007's is a 99 uk car and is 52D when ours are next to each other the difference is suprising.... messiah we both have the more rich and vibrant colour of the two I'm going to be interested in this as the wet look will look very good on our colour. If you would like me to post one of mine in the sun for comparison just say
Old 23 February 2006, 07:17 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

fire away mate - the pic I posted was only to show the colour as best as possible. I do have pics where the car looks much better but they're from further away so its was harder to see the "true" colour if you see what I mean. It looks a bit "flat" in the pic above - I'd cleaned the car the day before and garaged it overnight before using the Meguairs 3 step.

I have been planning on getting Swissol TBH on the recommendation of (probably about) 90% of scoobynet but I'm just reluctant to pay £45 when I don't know if its what I'm really looking for.

PS - DBM's rule
Old 23 February 2006, 07:27 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by messiah
PS - DBM's rule

It's a colour that looks nothing on a cloudy day but comes to life in the sunshine...
Cloudy first....

Sunshine....

That should help
Old 23 February 2006, 07:31 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

...mint...

its that deep blue colour you get when the rinse water is sheeting off I'm looking for - to me its the only time the colour seems to have a lot of depth.
Old 23 February 2006, 10:47 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Ok, we need to clarify the meaning of "deep". In my circles, depth refers to how far you can see into the reflections in terms of clarity and colour. From what you say above, I think you are referring to what I would describe as richness and wetness. If this is the case, i.e. you want the paint to look as blue as possible and as wet as possible, there is only one combination I would recommend for that colour - Clearkote Red Moose Glaze, topped with multiple coats of Poorboy's Natty's Blue paste wax. If you want to add another layer of protection you could use Poorboy's EX with carnuba between the two, but this won't improve the finish (all it will do is increase the durability). As for the preceding polishing step, if you are working by hand I would recommend Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze (not really a glaze, rather a fine polish). If you are working by machine, I would go with Poorboy's SSR1 if it only needs a light polish, or SSR2.5 if it needs more work.
Old 24 February 2006, 04:46 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Richness and wetness would get my vote I think
Old 24 February 2006, 05:10 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

sounds like what I'm looking for ...
Old 25 February 2006, 01:58 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

One thing that is not always considered is what car shampoo to use... the last thing that you want to do is spend all that time adding layers to then end up washing them straight off.

My cleaning routine at the moment is giving the car a go over with the pressure washer then washing with Swissol shampoo and a terry towel then I
pressure that off followed by drying the car with a bath towel I did buy a dark blue one so it's not as anul as it sounds

The car had about 8 coats of swissol last year and I'm coming to the bottom of the pot... not done bad with it as I've been using it for around 2 1/2 years now so it's lasted very well indeed.... I like to get something that is easy to apply and remove no need to make it difficult... I can't get the car undercover to wax it so it need to be done out in the weather.... that can be a pain when the sun comes out or it's windy.

I quite fancy extending the range of products used as in clay bar and waxes then I like the sound of a quick spray on detailer... the rich wet look sounds like just what this colour car needs

Hmmmm decisions decisions
Old 26 February 2006, 01:17 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I'd always used the Meguairs soft wash gel to wash mine and it was pretty good - just swapped to a bottle of Zymol from Halfrauds and it doesnt seem to bad either.
Old 26 February 2006, 08:06 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got the 95H DBM. Been using original Wax Wizard (pre-swissol) Samurai stuff for ages. Without opening that whole can of worms I think it is basically very similar to Zymol Japon wax.

It gave a really smooth, reflective, glass like shine and was great to apply and smelt amazing.

Have recently used some Meguiars NXT tech wax (very cheap by the way)and the finish is completely different. It is really deep in at least one sense of the word. Hard to describe but whilst just as smooth and shiney, it is almost like the wafer thin paint now gives the impression of being a high gloss plastic coating or shell over the car. I like it and I assume it is to do with the polymers bonding to the paint which are not present in the all natural carnuba wax stuff. Not claiming that the paint is actually more durable now but it kind of looks like it.

Last edited by Boost II; 26 February 2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 26 February 2006, 11:39 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Classic sealant finish - you've just described beautifully how synthetic waxes (ie sealants) differ from natural wax products.
Old 27 February 2006, 07:01 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

My last waxing was with the NXT and I'm not convinced by it really - goes on and comes off better than the normal Meguairs wax but I don't think the sheen is as good. It's not bad stuff I grant you, and the inclusion of a freebie applicator pad was a bonus but I don't think the end result was any better considering its twice the price of the Carnuba wax.

PB - excellent write ups on the site BTW - got me conved to buy a second bucket next time I'm in B&Q!!

Like Silver Scooby Sport says - It's Richness & Wetness I'm looking for too. I've been compiling a little worksheet of the steps I plan on taking to giving my paintwork an all out assault when I get a day or two spare when the weather improves - interested in the Poorboys SSR1 also since the wife thought she was doing me a favour my putting the car through the wash!!
Old 27 February 2006, 11:15 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Doh!
Old 28 February 2006, 10:28 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

...the divorce papers wil be through next week with any luck...
Old 28 February 2006, 01:34 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Old 05 March 2006, 10:21 AM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
One thing that is not always considered is what car shampoo to use... the last thing that you want to do is spend all that time adding layers to then end up washing them straight off.

The car had about 8 coats of swissol last year and I'm coming to the bottom of the pot... not done bad with it as I've been using it for around 2 1/2 years now so it's lasted very well indeed.... I like to get something that is easy to apply and remove no need to make it difficult... I can't get the car undercover to wax it so it need to be done out in the weather.... that can be a pain when the sun comes out or it's windy.

Hmmmm decisions decisions
MY00 DBM paintwork was looking alittle worse for wear but treated it to some Swissol and it has improved it no end....certainly not as good as Silver Scooby Sport's.

What wax are you using? Ive got ONXY version?

Really could do with someone in the know to come and treat my car to a decent valet but all you people seem to live down south
Old 05 March 2006, 11:50 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Down south indeed

Cheers Tainton... I'm using the Samuri wax on mine, when I got it I had the starter kit so I use the Fluid Cleaner a couple of times a year and then wax after that.... also use the car bath as well so I'm not cleaning the wax straight back off.
I must admit I'm tempted to pay and have mine machine polished that way it will remove and hide some of the more difficult marks that I can't remove by hand.. buying the power one is a little to dear for me and then how many times a year will I use it ?? which leads me to think pay for it once and then do it by hand afterwards. Saying that though if there is a small group of you that can chip in so much each I suppose you could buy one for group use

Dannyboy007 appeared at the house yesterday with Bigdaz for some help putting his new wheels on he has the Dark Blue Mica colour 52D and will be the first to admit he does not clean his car much but he is getting better now anyway we ended up giving it a quick clean in my book... quick coat of cleaner and then one coat of wax, the difference was suprising...

From this....

To This....

This is a thread with some more on..

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=497152

Here's mine for a colour comparision....

Simon
Old 05 March 2006, 02:15 PM
S.P.Developments
Scooby Senior

Location: In the workshop or under some one elses car. PROJECT RA 09 IS GO.

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Down south indeed

Cheers Tainton... I'm using the Samuri wax on mine, when I got it I had the starter kit so I use the Fluid Cleaner a couple of times a year and then wax after that.... also use the car bath as well so I'm not cleaning the wax straight back off.
I must admit I'm tempted to pay and have mine machine polished that way it will remove and hide some of the more difficult marks that I can't remove by hand.. buying the power one is a little to dear for me and then how many times a year will I use it ?? which leads me to think pay for it once and then do it by hand afterwards. Saying that though if there is a small group of you that can chip in so much each I suppose you could buy one for group use

Dannyboy007 appeared at the house yesterday with Bigdaz for some help putting his new wheels on he has the Dark Blue Mica colour 52D and will be the first to admit he does not clean his car much but he is getting better now anyway we ended up giving it a quick clean in my book... quick coat of cleaner and then one coat of wax, the difference was suprising...

From this....

To This....

This is a thread with some more on..

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=497152

Here's mine for a colour comparision....

Simon
Will have to bring my car round to you for some TLC advice..

John
Old 06 March 2006, 03:59 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bigbrakes
Will have to bring my car round to you for some TLC advice..

John
Anytime John You have yet to see mine fully cleaned as I'm running my old 16's for another week or so yet then I'll get it all ready for the RR day.
Old 06 March 2006, 06:49 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Great work, massive improvement in the finish.
Old 06 March 2006, 07:05 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Looking good.

Took advantage of the good weather yesterday and went at it with the clay bar - looks much better now even though I didn't have time to do it all, I just went at the worst bits which were mainly the wheel arches with tar spots on.

Tar is a bugger to see against DBM though!
Old 07 March 2006, 07:14 AM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by messiah
Looking good.

Took advantage of the good weather yesterday and went at it with the clay bar - looks much better now even though I didn't have time to do it all, I just went at the worst bits which were mainly the wheel arches with tar spots on.

Tar is a bugger to see against DBM though!
I know what you mean as I had some tree sap on mine and still have a little now but you only find it by feel when waxing the car.