Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

ADMIN Why doesnt SN have a reference section dedicated to car maintenance jobs/Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2008, 01:40 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADMIN Why doesnt SN have a reference section dedicated to car maintenance jobs/Mods?

Im finding it very frustrating spending time searching for write up posts on car maintenance and projects / mods and conversions. Other enthusiast sites have dedicated DIY sections with userwrite ups and fast links to topics such as brake pad replacement, oil and filter changes, induction system mods etc. any reason why SN doesnt??

Last edited by KK3960; 28 December 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 28 December 2008, 01:53 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i agree. In each section you need to make a Stick Thread. And in that thread link to all the other threads whith guides on how to do bits and bob. Will be easy enough to setup and so useful it would be unreal.

Sure the info is on the forum. but findin it is a real git.
Old 28 December 2008, 01:59 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Even more frustrating is the fact that I've been searching for over an hour for a thread which i know exists but is lost in the electronic abyss of the forums topics?
Old 28 December 2008, 02:05 PM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KK3960
Even more frustrating is the fact that I've been searching for over an hour for a thread which i know exists but is lost in the electronic abyss of the forums topics?
thats the most irritating as sometimes, a thread gets lost in just a few hours....

yeah really do need to have a DIY section / HOW TO section for people to show off their talents and help others.....
Old 28 December 2008, 02:08 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Scoobypedia ?
Old 28 December 2008, 02:18 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

scoobypedia just doesnt have enough users/contributers. The forum forumat seems much better for actually getting the content in the first place.

I agree the search function is total gash.

I can code and am willing to help develop anything needed. Admin pm Me if you need a hand.
Old 29 December 2008, 09:01 AM
Luke
BANNED

I am no techie...
but i dont think adding sub forums would be more than a few mins work ?

sound a good idea to be able to have access to your car type without hunting through lots of other posts
Old 29 December 2008, 06:53 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Ok then lets start a members request for a SN technical "How to" guide then, after all its an enthusiasts site so give us the knowledge to be more involved and more interactive with our cars from like minded enthusiasts, ill start the list and hopefully someone will respond;

1) KK3960

Last edited by KK3960; 29 December 2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08 January 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

ok guys, first things first, somebody start a poll and see if its wanted..

Second thing, somebody is going to have to find links to all these "How To..." and other guides you want to collect.
Old 08 January 2009, 03:52 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Awaits the industrial sized tumbleweed to coming rolling in
Old 09 January 2009, 01:51 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Nice "pass back" move Admin! Ever thought that this guide could have a positive spin on attracting new "Paid Up" members as a priviledge function!

Ok well as I started this post I may as well add my piece. I’m more than happy to post links to admin or to a designated area of the forum as and when I stumble across a suitable "How To" guide, and im sure that this wont be too much of an exercise for other forum members to do also for the benefit of themselves and others.

All that will need doing therein after is for a "How To" section index page to be formulated in alphabetical order and formatted by adminof the particular topic. Im sure any related posts will be easy enough to find then when listed in a dedicated section, rather than trawling through the mass of back posts on the forum which drives me nuts . Ive been told a few times that im posting in the wrong section, so it should become common sense after a few months where to dump the links.

Ill start with the first couple of guide’s I’ve found via SN posts which have been more than helpful and see how many people add to it as an ongoing post. I’m sure everyone will find one or more posts useful sometime in their modding career and I would like to think that its in everyone’s interest for an enthusiasts site to have this basic technical information pool like the rest do, preventing them from having to look elsewhere

Walbro Install;
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...re-newage.html

Injector Install;
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...rs-bugeye.html

JDM Sweeping Clock Install;
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-bug-help.html

Fitting Bugeye Side Markers;
https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...ndicators.html

Installing Blobeye Front STI Bumper Winglets to WRX's
https://www.scoobynet.com/wanted-18/...s-blobeye.html

Changing 2 pots to 4 pots;
https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyr...-bleeding.html

Classic Front Mount Intercooler Install
https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...r-project.html

V7 Bug to V8 Blob Rear End Conversion;
https://www.scoobynet.com/styling-36...rs-bugeye.html

Well thats a start with some popular mods. Hope it can grow from here

Last edited by KK3960; 09 January 2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09 January 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Nice "pass back" move Admin! Ever thought that this guide could have a positive spin on attracting new "Paid Up" members as a priviledge function!
No. And you will see why when you read my mission statement.
Old 09 January 2009, 02:07 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Well omit any commercial links or interest if this is the case, being pureley an open enthusiasts link for paid or unpaid members?? If i click as a guest on a particular BMW site link I can find "How To" change brake pads in 2 clicks? Shurely all we have to do is populate a list of guides of or am i asking too much or breaching some guideline here??

Last edited by KK3960; 09 January 2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09 January 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Well omit any commercial links or interest if this is the case, being pureley an open enthusiasts link for paid or unpaid members?? If i click as a guest on a particular BMW site link I can find "How To" change brake pads in 2 clicks? Shurely all we have to do is populate a list of guides of or am i asking too much or breaching some guideline here??
Sorry, you have missed my point.
I want all members that join to be able to utilise this forum as a reference site to educate themselves and improve the ownership experience. As a result, I dont agree with them having to pay for search facilities and it would be nice to offer the how too section for free too.
Old 09 January 2009, 10:08 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Yes that’s exactly my point! As I’ve just mentioned above it should be a free for all “open link” for "Paid or Unpaid Members" but please make the already info easily accessible instead of irrelevant searches which bring up dud information. If im stuck on a Sunday afternoon and need to know how to put together the 10 pieces of second hand FMIC or drop link kit with no instructions id rather the info be readily accessible in one section than having to search through twaddle to find it.

Im not trying to be a wise guy argumentative type here or try to have a pop at Admin, but through a couple of recent frustrating occurrences where I needed genuine info "Quick" I just feel that if its there and already available lets make it easy to find!

Enough said now, its clear were meeting somewhere in the middle, my interests are only for fellow members as im sure SN’s are also. Can I suggest I pick up on your comments below and post this in a popular section like "general technical" for a wider range of users to comment upon. If it goes nowhere ill shut up and in the future use the normal search facility to trawl through and locate technical posts.

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
ok guys, first things first, somebody start a poll and see if its wanted..

Second thing, somebody is going to have to find links to all these "How To..." and other guides you want to collect.

Last edited by KK3960; 09 January 2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:16 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I'm totally in favour of a 'How to' section.

This is a great thread I came across.
Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / DIY - STi 8 Intercooler onto MY00 Classic
Old 09 January 2009, 11:18 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

I truly think you have misread something.
I am saying YES i like the idea of a reference section and YES i think it should be free access to all.

It was you who suggested it may be a perk for paid up members, not me but lets move on now we know we both want the same thing.

You chaps gather up the threads into one topic to make it worthwhile and we can crack on.

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 09 January 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:30 PM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Agreed, and thanks, lets work together on this.
Heres a link for starters. unfortunately I dont know how to set up a poll function.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ml#post8411583

Scoobypedia is great but unfortunately not enough people post on it for it to be totally useful

Last edited by KK3960; 09 January 2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:43 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Poll added mate.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:58 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

In favour of this too, BUT, it needs to be logically organised into sections, i.e. all brake FAQs, all Engine FAQs etc.

Also, NO external links. These go dead or require yet another site signup/login, sometimes just to see one picture.

On the subject of pictures, there should be an IB hosted area for approved content like this, not a reliance on random member's photobucket (etc) accounts.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly...
Old 10 January 2009, 01:16 AM
KK3960
Scooby Regular

Some great points there to consider, multiple posts or links of the same subject topic from different reference locations and users would hopefully provide a continuity of the subject topic should photo links or attachments be deleted or amended by users. I have suggested that a simple "Mods" list in alphabetical order be populated which would form the basis of the mods Index to keep things simple.
Old 10 January 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

See how these things go from a nice simple concept to a real PITA?
Old 11 January 2009, 08:55 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ Internet Brands
See how these things go from a nice simple concept to a real PITA?

Interesting point there Stu.

I tried to set things in motion with ex-webby but it turned into a bit of frustrating episode, when all I wanted to do was to bring something to the 'community' that would be useful and helpful.

Maybe you can run with the idea that KK3960 has

Here are the two ideas I had that were being mooted, they lack a bit of polish and are outdated but you get the drift

ScoobyNet FAQ

ScoobyNet Tutorials

Old 12 January 2009, 09:07 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

I think you are going about this wrong.

THe idea is sound, but people like easyness.

THe best forum for info i have used is sxoc.

All wel need in each of the technical area is a "How To/FAQ" post which is sticky at the top.

Everythime a good guide or multiple guide is posted, update the links in the how To Section.

Youll find that people will write posts and post their own link so all it will need is categorising.

Creating a whole new section to me defeats the point of having the sections in the forum anyway. I think the tech sections on scoobynet work really well, just need this little way of referencing the good threads.

Id be more than happy to do any of these duties. I cant commit ill do it amazingly well, but give me the tools and ill try my best

Where are you guys based? Id be quite happy to meet up with you and discuss ideas. I know its your project/site/baby so feel free to tell me to sod off. But there seems to be a real lack of scooby info without posting a new thread. Atleast scoobynet has the members.

Sites like scoobymod are taking off cos their info is easy to find!

As for the search, i think i might set one up myself, and spider scoobynet so you can see how good a simple search tool is. It seems the current search is based on Google's results which lag due to crap spidering/time.

Hey. PM Me. Lets give one a go, if it doesnt work you can can it. Not going to loose any members, only going to gain.

I think there is a clear advantage and a vote/name list not even required, its not as if anything is going to be taken away. Especially if you just use one sticky thread in each of the technical forums.

Catch my drift?
Old 12 January 2009, 09:12 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NXG
In favour of this too, BUT, it needs to be logically organised into sections, i.e. all brake FAQs, all Engine FAQs etc.

Also, NO external links. These go dead or require yet another site signup/login, sometimes just to see one picture.

On the subject of pictures, there should be an IB hosted area for approved content like this, not a reliance on random member's photobucket (etc) accounts.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly...
Yes a good point. Dead link/images are useless.

Im sure it would be possible to write some code to steal the images and host them on scoobynet. The legal implications of this may have to be bypassed by an extra term in the T&C
Old 12 January 2009, 10:23 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob
Yes a good point. Dead link/images are useless.

Im sure it would be possible to write some code to steal the images and host them on scoobynet. The legal implications of this may have to be bypassed by an extra term in the T&C
Who said anything about stealing images??

If members submit their own build/mod images and/or sketches all that's required is a disclaimer regarding originality and terms of use once posted. I don't think we'll have to worry about that, as IB will probably have the T-shirt on this one.