Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Next Challenge - ESL with some good Pops n Bangs

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2016, 10:37 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

During the recent ESL training course (I hope Andy doesn't mind me mentioning it on here as it's very similar to what 'bludgod' has said anyway), Andy said that if you want to map in pops and bangs, simply set the entire top line of ignition map(s) so that the total ignition (base + advance) reads at 0 all the way along the line, and then "add fuel" for the equivalent cells, You'll also need to have reinjection turned on for the rev range that you want it to work.

Also it's not possible to add negative timing with ESL. 0 is the lowest you can go. The UI might let you (I haven't actually tried it) but it will be interpreted as 0. I think the anti-lag uses negative timing internally to function, along with some other 'wizardry' but you'll need to motorsports pack for that.
Old 08 February 2016, 10:39 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ahhhh you made it to the training course and didn't sleep in blah blah your so great rub it in why don't ya :P

still - looks like I'm on the right track also just checked, yes zero is as low as it goes doesn't matter what you type in. GET THE FUEL UP LAD 9:1 AFR's boop boop!
Old 08 February 2016, 10:40 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
ahhhh you made it to the training course and didn't sleep in blah blah your so great rub it in why don't ya :P
Ah - so that was you, was it! Admittedly, I didn't have quite as far to come as you, as it was held literally 5 miles up the road from me!

Last edited by ben.harris; 08 February 2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08 February 2016, 10:43 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BESTEK%C2%AE...words=inverter

one of those hooked to battery and hidden in the glovebox will sort that - don't try it in the ciggy lighter though, cost me 4 fuses before i worked that out!
Ooh that's handy
Will be ordering one of these,means I can set the tablet up to be on all the time and spend longer with the laptop to do some proper mapping sessions
Old 08 February 2016, 10:48 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheers guys, some good stuff for me to get going on, thanks for the help guys, all good fun and hopefully i get some good pops created

thanks
Old 08 February 2016, 10:53 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben.harris
Ah - so that was you, was it! Admittedly, I didn't have quite as far to come as you, as it was held literally 5 miles up the road from me!
yes sir, that was me talk about gutted! But i'm on for the next one and have a multipack of redbull and pro plus so all being well I'll be there!
Old 08 February 2016, 10:54 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
Ooh that's handy
Will be ordering one of these,means I can set the tablet up to be on all the time and spend longer with the laptop to do some proper mapping sessions
just remember to run it off a relay to go off with ignition or remember to turn off the switch before you get out of the car - otherwise you'll be shopping for a new battery too!
Old 08 February 2016, 10:55 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

still - looks like I'm on the right track also just checked, yes zero is as low as it goes doesn't matter what you type in. GET THE FUEL UP LAD 9:1 AFR's boop boop!

AFR of 9 crikey lol !!
Old 08 February 2016, 10:56 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben.harris
During the recent ESL training course (I hope Andy doesn't mind me mentioning it on here as it's very similar to what 'bludgod' has said anyway), Andy said that if you want to map in pops and bangs, simply set the entire top line of ignition map(s) so that the total ignition (base + advance) reads at 0 all the way along the line, and then "add fuel" for the equivalent cells, You'll also need to have reinjection turned on for the rev range that you want it to work.

Also it's not possible to add negative timing with ESL. 0 is the lowest you can go. The UI might let you (I haven't actually tried it) but it will be interpreted as 0. I think the anti-lag uses negative timing internally to function, along with some other 'wizardry' but you'll need to motorsports pack for that.

cheers bud
Old 09 February 2016, 06:55 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well, that did a whole lot of nothing lol, heres what i did, not 1 pop ! gutted, never mind.

what i dont get is tho, even tho the trace is on the low load cell which is set to 0, in the timing log box you can see it says timing is at 17 degrees ???

Old 09 February 2016, 07:00 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

17 on idle.
It's between 4-6 load and between 0-22 timing so 17 would be right.
I would have thought you would have some pops with those settings?
Old 09 February 2016, 07:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

I see what your saying and that makes sense but even when the car was colder and engine load was 6 in the logging box, the timing was still reading 17 even tho then it was on a cell reading 22, i had a quick test and put 30 in the cell, still stayed at 17 in the logging box.

i was hoping for pops as well, i went for a spirited sprint up the road, car temp was normal, oil temp was 80 degrees, exhaust was hot as id been idling 15 mins, car drove on boost for a little bit, not 1 pop on over run or gear change.

never mind, was worth a try, i have reverted back to normal now, not worth having a messy map for no pops as well ha ha

cheers anyway guys
Old 09 February 2016, 08:24 PM
sean turbo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your between load points so will be interpolating between them, you could rescale your loads like i have quickly done in this pic, you are wasting a column but you could shuffle the rest around to make it up.

Name:  Untitled_zpscmcu4obl.png
Views: 0
Size:  216.5 KB
Old 09 February 2016, 09:06 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Ok , I'm with you , I did think about doubling up the 0 timing on both low loads but was wary of doing so as didn't want to cause damage . I was hitting the 0 points tho on overrun yet still no pops , the timing of 17 was at idle

Don't think I will bother , after changing timing , re injection and fuel AFR to 9 's and still no pops don't think I'm going to get them
Old 10 February 2016, 09:57 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Just as a bit of an experiment, I had a go at this on my way home from work earlier. As the top 3 rows of my ignition map are identical, I rescaled the top two so that the top row had a load of 4, filled with 0 timings, the 2nd row was scaled to 5 and had 'normal' timing values in it again and the third row was left as it was. However, while watching the "true timing" log, I also couldn't get the timing to drop below about 12 degrees, even though I could live trace it and see it running through the 0 degree cells.

I also tried having both of the top two rows set to 0 and scaling it so that on overrun it was definitely reading from the top row. That way, there shouldn't be any interpolation between the 0 and the next row having higher values in it. Still the timing wouldn't drop into single figures on overrun.

I'm just speculating here, but one thing that crossed my mind is that maybe something different happens when the ECU receives an off-throttle 'idle' signal from the TPS, and some other internal table that isn't available to configure within ESL is used for controlling ignition. Reason for thinking this is that if I 'blipped' the accelerator, the live timing reading would pass through some single figures as the revs increased (first half of 'blip', making it look as if it was referencing the table correctly (from the trace), but when the revs then decreased (2nd half of 'blip'), the live timing figures didn't appear to be referencing anything I could see matching the trace in the table.

Like you though, once I'd finished 'playing' I put it all back how it was before.
Old 10 February 2016, 10:18 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the info bud, good to know its not just me who couldnt get close to 0 timing , i like you couldnt get anywhere near it, my lowest was 17, at least you got to 12 degrees ha
Old 11 February 2016, 08:51 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

i wonder if there is a base timing table somewhere that isn't exposed? on a newage car you have a base timing value for in gear and out of gear - if you apply gentle throttle when coasting down do you get any sound effects with the zero timing or does it still sit at 17?
Old 12 February 2016, 02:43 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

The timing never reads 0 when being logged , 17 is my lowest , re injection doesn't do much for pops either so I'm putting that back to 1000 , I was getting more pops when it leaned out with no reinjection coasting etc

Was worth a try , didn't work , just would of been nice to cause a pop n bang rather than just enjoy the occasional one that happens ha