Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Remap next week, noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2014, 12:13 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Top bloke! Mapped mine years back and still running perfectly!
Old 24 November 2014, 01:12 PM
windmill84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent, that's good to know!
Old 24 November 2014, 02:29 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

He's mapped mine twice now, I'm very happy with the results.
Old 24 November 2014, 04:37 PM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
I've now had 7 maps, and each time I've been nervous, in case something goes wrong and some expensive damage is done!

Its strange, I've had maps from mainly Duncan and Simon, and not a single one took more than an hour!

Although, they were all stage 1 and 2 maps.
About an hour for me too
Old 24 November 2014, 04:42 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Duncan spent an hour road mapping mine then another hour on the dyno fine tuning and doing power runs, then another half an hour road testing and tweaking after that. All for the same price!

Top bloke!
Old 24 November 2014, 08:06 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by windmill84
Will I notice much of a difference from 225ish to 2XX bhp?
Oh yes..

For a while anyway.
Old 24 November 2014, 08:40 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Following this thread with quite some interest, looking forward to hearing your results. I too have a WRX that I plan on having mapped soon with similar mods to yourself however I'm going the extra mile and have just bought a TD05 16g now looking for pinks and tmic.

I have always been wary of dyno's due to the horror stories, I'm sure everything will go smoothly
Old 25 November 2014, 06:55 AM
windmill84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Duncan spent an hour road mapping mine then another hour on the dyno fine tuning and doing power runs, then another half an hour road testing and tweaking after that. All for the same price!

Top bloke!
Awesome, he sounds like one of the good guys then. I'm a bit more relieved now! Did you speak to him much before he took the car off you? Because currently I believe he is just picking my car up from TFS, then taking it to SRR and I'm hopefully going to meet him there to watch... I haven't spoken to Duncan though yet.

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Oh yes..

For a while anyway.
Haha I can imagine! At least if I get 'bored' of this power increase I can do a bit more modding without toooo much cost! Hopefully that won't be anytime soon though!

Originally Posted by WRX 2312
Following this thread with quite some interest, looking forward to hearing your results. I too have a WRX that I plan on having mapped soon with similar mods to yourself however I'm going the extra mile and have just bought a TD05 16g now looking for pinks and tmic.

I have always been wary of dyno's due to the horror stories, I'm sure everything will go smoothly
No worries you're probably doing it the right way and getting everything together to have all done at once. I hope all goes well for you when you get everything together!

I'll keep you all posted when the big day comes, it's getting closer!!

Rob.
Old 25 November 2014, 08:48 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windmill84
Did you speak to him much before he took the car off you? Because currently I believe he is just picking my car up from TFS, then taking it to SRR and I'm hopefully going to meet him there to watch... I haven't spoken to Duncan though yet.
Not a great deal. Talked to him on the phone to arrange it and text him before the day athen met him at the rolling road on the day of mapping. Was great fun!

Don't worry about a rolling road. As said above it'd no different than giving your car some full throttle on the road. If Duncan sees something unusual he'll advise you.

Enjoy!
Old 25 November 2014, 11:27 AM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Bit of advice here (learned the hard way )

Check your WG opening presure before you put it in. If its opening at 0.25 bar like mine was , get a another WG acutuator.

WRX 06 dark blues are just as good a Sti pinks .
( get some new lower seals from Subaru / any from WRX / Sti UK top feed versions fit 01-06 ).

I would do just the Sti TMIC not the bigger one I have , too much volume is bad for spool and you certainly don't need that on a TD05 16G .

If you want to improve the heat soak just use the IC water spray , enough of them come up for sale here.

That turbo if aftermarket is cheap but you may have trouble getting the fit with the water cooling pipes provided fitted, I tried bending mine and they fractured , I ended up carefully boring out the unions of the TD04 ones
and hand filed them flat to make a good seal with new copper washers.

Pre-mount the water pipe under on the turbo with a little bit of grease inside the rubber pipe, then use a hex jubilee with a socket drive and long thin extension coming with your hand from the exhaust side over the bellhousing. If the wife has smaller hands it will save a lot of swearing and blood stains on the engine.

Have fun
Old 25 November 2014, 11:39 AM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RS_Matt
Good stuff Kumpel, wir werden dann zum Tweaks und unsere Autos zu testen gegen brina drei. Oder wir können für Yorker Raceway warten.
I will have another chat with him. Against you two light weights

I think Im going to be "very" last. fun though.
Old 26 November 2014, 07:52 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

I see Tweaks, Brina and york raceway in there ???

Tim
Old 27 November 2014, 11:43 AM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tweaks
I see Tweaks, Brina and york raceway in there ???

Tim
Not till Easter I fear . I have a con rod bearing to change.

Ill call you at home Sat. Ralph
Old 27 November 2014, 06:02 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Linksfahrer
Bit of advice here (learned the hard way )

Check your WG opening presure before you put it in. If its opening at 0.25 bar like mine was , get a another WG acutuator.

WRX 06 dark blues are just as good a Sti pinks .
( get some new lower seals from Subaru / any from WRX / Sti UK top feed versions fit 01-06 ).

I would do just the Sti TMIC not the bigger one I have , too much volume is bad for spool and you certainly don't need that on a TD05 16G .

If you want to improve the heat soak just use the IC water spray , enough of them come up for sale here.

That turbo if aftermarket is cheap but you may have trouble getting the fit with the water cooling pipes provided fitted, I tried bending mine and they fractured , I ended up carefully boring out the unions of the TD04 ones
and hand filed them flat to make a good seal with new copper washers.

Pre-mount the water pipe under on the turbo with a little bit of grease inside the rubber pipe, then use a hex jubilee with a socket drive and long thin extension coming with your hand from the exhaust side over the bellhousing. If the wife has smaller hands it will save a lot of swearing and blood stains on the engine.

Have fun
Thanks for this, much appreciated.. unfortunately with my work, as much as I would like to, I just don't have the time to fit the parts myself so I plan on taking all the parts in a big box with the car to a garage and pretty much saying "here you go, please put all this on this". Was the TD05 a good choice of turbo? I'm only hunting for around 320bhp. Excuse my lack of knowledge (still fairly new to modifying/subaru) the 06 wrx injectors, are they similar in price to pinks?
Old 27 November 2014, 06:42 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Linksfahrer
Not till Easter I fear . I have a con rod bearing to change.

Ill call you at home Sat. Ralph
No worries Ralph, i've got allsorts to do still.
I've not been using the car at all as the 'put me on engine' i fitted a bit ago is not in the best health.
I'm just going to map it on the 16g and see how long it lasts.

Tim
Old 28 November 2014, 08:54 AM
Bodsbug
Scooby Newbie

Had mine remapped by Neil at Slowboy Racing,full decat,turbo up/down pipe,3 port boost solenoid,already had a panel filter on.Sounds fantastic,you can really hear the turbo spool up too!!..He reckons it's pushing around 290bhp but I'll know for sure when I get it on the rollers as mine was road mapped..The difference is unreal,pulls in every gear so you'll notice straight away..
Old 29 November 2014, 02:08 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bodsbug
Had mine remapped by Neil at Slowboy Racing,full decat,turbo up/down pipe,3 port boost solenoid,already had a panel filter on.Sounds fantastic,you can really hear the turbo spool up too!!..He reckons it's pushing around 290bhp but I'll know for sure when I get it on the rollers as mine was road mapped..The difference is unreal,pulls in every gear so you'll notice straight away..
Fuel pump done ?
Old 29 November 2014, 02:28 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for this, much appreciated.. unfortunately with my work, as much as I would like to, I just don't have the time to fit the parts myself so I plan on taking all the parts in a big box with the car to a garage and pretty much saying "here you go, please put all this on this". Was the TD05 a good choice of turbo? I'm only hunting for around 320bhp. Excuse my lack of knowledge (still fairly new to modifying/subaru) the 06 wrx injectors, are they similar in price to pinks?
TD05 opinion hmm How long is a piece of string. For 320bhp its fine,
Id guess its likely to make that at 1.3 -1.45 bar , depends with the other supporting mods. decat up / >500 cc / fuel pump 255 lph / Sti TMIC / add a sports cat / for a touch more.

If Id have had the money I would have taken a MD321 which will go to 400 bhp but even a used one is likely to be 800 pounds

The problem is once you have 250 bhp you want then 350 and so on.
But once you set a target , then you should look for the best drivability that's the holy grail . The turbo should be proportioned correctly for the bhp/torque you want.

Technically identical top feeders , The price is of course what people ask and others are prepared to pay. 80-100 I should think will get you a set.
Old 29 November 2014, 02:29 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tweaks
No worries Ralph, i've got allsorts to do still.
I've not been using the car at all as the 'put me on engine' i fitted a bit ago is not in the best health.
I'm just going to map it on the 16g and see how long it lasts.

Tim
Ok Tim see you in the Spring.
Old 30 November 2014, 09:40 AM
windmill84
Scooby Regular

Hi guys,

So the car went in on Thursday so Stewart at TFS could have some extra time to get all the bits fitted for the remap on Friday. I also asked him if he could fit my new Godspeed disks and pads as well and he said that it wasn't a problem, even though I only asked him on the day which I thought was good of him. He kindly gave me a lift to work as well! Top bloke!

He said the car would probably go to SRR on Friday afternoon after he had finished working on my car, and if there were any problems then he would give me a ring and let me know....... thankfully the phone never rang on Thursday, but it did ring at around 2.30 on Friday

By this point I was feeling pretty nervous and was hoping everything would go ok and not be any problems! So my mate that I stayed with gave me a lift over to SRR in his Focus RS (that was an interesting drive!!) and we turned up to find my car already on the rollers strapped down and almost ready to go. Duncan from RaceDynamics was already inside the car fiddling around. While we were waiting for the final steps to be completed I had a quick look round and I spotted this:

Name:  IMAG0414.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  49.8 KB

What a beast! Such a shame that someone with so much talent has left us too early I was told that the car was running close to 1000BHP!! Mental! I especially like the idea of the twin induction kits in the headlights!

Just then the guys came out of the sound proof RR room and shut the doors to begin the mapping session, I was feeling pretty nervous now as I wasn't sure what to expect! Quick pic of the car on the rollers:

Name:  IMAG0413.jpg
Size:  44.0 KB

After a bit of revving and tweaking the screen showed 25BHP... wow, how disappointing! Another blast on the throttle at what sounded like full revs and the screen showed 180. Ok, that's getting better! A few more tweaks and another rev (I was feeling much better now due to the fact the car hadn't blown up) and the screen showed 225BHP. Great I thought, now we're at 'standard' power Another tweak and rev and the screen showed 225 again... now I was wondering what had happened. After what seemed like an eternity (more like 5 mins!) I heard the car rev up again and the screen updated and showed a new figure of 280! I was really pleased with that, but then I heard him rev it up again, waited for the screen to update and it was now showing 292!! That put a smile on my face Then after a few more tweaks and a final rev I watched with baited breath what the screen would show next... it now was showing 290.6 which I am really happy with! I was expecting to come out of there with around 260-275 BHP, so to get 290 was awesome!

Name:  BHP.jpg
Size:  43.9 KB

I don't know what I was worried about, the guys at SRR and Duncan were great and knew exactly what they were doing, so a big thank you to them. Duncan said with bigger injectors, turbo and STi top mount he reckons I could get around 330... maybe next year...!

A huge thank you goes to Stewart at TFS Racing in Aldershot for sorting everything out for me. He was very helpful and accommodating to my needs. My car is now much smoother in power delivery and there is an awesome punch in 2nd and 3rd gear! It sounds much more growly as well when giving it some throttle, but it's still not ridiculously loud either which I am really happy about. All in all a great day and I recommend it to anyone that hasn't had a remap yet!

Thanks again to TFS Racing, SRR and of course Duncan at RaceDynamics for releasing my cars power!
Old 30 November 2014, 09:49 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good result, told you that you'd get around another 60 ponies.
Old 30 November 2014, 10:05 AM
ZaKv1
Scooby Regular

good job mate nice result
Old 30 November 2014, 03:59 PM
Linksfahrer
Scooby Regular

Default Surrey RR result

Knew you would be pleased,

The torque development looks nice , so Duncan has done a fine job.

Linksfahrer.
Old 08 December 2014, 08:54 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Lovely job! Now just enjoy it!
Old 08 December 2014, 11:05 AM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Great power for a small responsive Turbo, you'll be embarrassing a lot of higher powered cars at the lights!
Old 08 December 2014, 12:26 PM
windmill84
Scooby Regular

Will do, thanks again to all that offered tips and advice, it was much appreciated!

I love the pops and bangs I get as well from the exhaust now and then, sounds like a proper rally car