Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

What Ecu do I use

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2014, 12:38 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Ecu do I use

Ok on my 1994 wrx . The ecu can not be played with as it need a piggyback . Have been told I can get a ecu the will plug in when I take my old one out . I have seen some saying z4 and so on. If I was to get a ecu what will fit mine car and upgrade it . With out getting it chiped or so on. If I was looking on eBay what would I go for . Am looking for a strat swop over to replace the old one. Any help. Am selling the car soon or making it into a track car as I will be getting my hark eye ofter X moss . Any help please
Old 08 December 2014, 06:55 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Syvecs
Old 08 December 2014, 10:45 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

They give u a few to pick from I think mine is a W6 Ecu I think . What would do . Can I not just get Ons from ebay from a newage Sti . Or somthink . I no what I get will have to be mapped , is there not a cheeper way. Just payed out for a sevise . Am selling it after X moss, or may keep it for a track car. But if I do sell it be nice to up the bhp , to up the price a bit .
Old 08 December 2014, 11:45 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Newage ECU will not fit at all. Has to be a chipped ECU, ESL, Apexi, Syvecs or similar. More power doesn't really mean more cash. The money you spend making more power won't be recovered in what you sell it for.
Old 09 December 2014, 01:46 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

iirc the Z4 boosts higher than your ecu but this will probably cause you problems with afr ect. The 6k ecu from v2 STI also boost higher but the v2 STI has a Td05 turbo and different internals so is also likely to cause problems. Your best options are what piehole has said mate. I'm pretty sure you won't get a plug&play ecu which will just give you more bhp without supporting mods but someone might tell you different?
Ask the question about the Z4 and the 6K ecu's,maybe someone has just plugged one in,increased power and had no problems but I doubt they have?
Old 09 December 2014, 08:43 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
iirc the Z4 boosts higher than your ecu but this will probably cause you problems with afr ect. The 6k ecu from v2 STI also boost higher but the v2 STI has a Td05 turbo and different internals so is also likely to cause problems. Your best options are what piehole has said mate. I'm pretty sure you won't get a plug&play ecu which will just give you more bhp without supporting mods but someone might tell you different?
Ask the question about the Z4 and the 6K ecu's,maybe someone has just plugged one in,increased power and had no problems but I doubt they have?
Mine has a td05 as well
Old 09 December 2014, 08:49 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

If not more power the s bit better boost . It's at 1bar at mo 1.3 would be nice
Was just hoping to get a more newish one plug it in snd would be a bit better . F ing ECU .
Don't want to spend to much as I am almost there on getting my hark eye . That's if X moss don't dran my dry . (Kids A ) ������
Old 09 December 2014, 08:54 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Well if you're getting a new car, why even spend a penny on this. Does not make sense to me at all
Old 09 December 2014, 08:59 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the big deal about getting an ecu that just "plugs in"?
That's a very small part of the story, all standalone ecu's will need mapped from scratch, that's the hard part.
Wiring in an ecu is not difficult, if you are not confident with a dozen wires then I would not even entertain switching on the laptop. Get someone else to do it! Then it won't matter if the ecu "plugs straight in" or not, as in sure they will have the skill and experience to wire it up and map it. £1000-1500 should do it.
Or am I wrong
Old 09 December 2014, 10:06 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Gotta agree with banny,if your selling your classic and buying a hawk then don't spend any money on an ecu,it won't add much if any value to it.
If your keeping it to track and do want extra bhp/torque then imo the best value for money is going to be the ESL which should get you around 40 more horses without mods. Personally i would just take it to the track as it is mate,you will still have great fun as long as you're not hoping to stand on the podium. If your wanting to compete on the track then you will need way more than a upgraded ecu.
Old 09 December 2014, 10:51 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Gotta agree with banny,if your selling your classic and buying a hawk then don't spend any money on an ecu,it won't add much if any value to it.
If your keeping it to track and do want extra bhp/torque then imo the best value for money is going to be the ESL which should get you around 40 more horses without mods. Personally i would just take it to the track as it is mate,you will still have great fun as long as you're not hoping to stand on the podium. If your wanting to compete on the track then you will need way more than a upgraded ecu.
Its 50/50 on selling it . Will get the new one but would like to keep this as a track car it's just never let me down .& it's runs like new . Can park it up but will have to more a lot of stuff out of the garage to keep it there .
U no what it's like . It is or would be the 1st subaru I got .so would be nice to keep it .
If I don't go into the car funds for x moss then I could keep it . But the wife Is out shopping even as I tipe this . Mmm.
Would be nice just to have a car to do all the things you can not do on the road . lol.
Old 09 December 2014, 04:59 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if youre turning it into a track car ecu is least of your worries, decent brakes tyres and suspension should be top of the list
Old 09 December 2014, 05:47 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

And an oil cooler
Old 09 December 2014, 09:05 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

z4 260ps ecu is a easy upgrade and runs perfect in the place of the 240ps u8/w6 ecu. it was mearly a map tweak to the 95 spec cars made by Subaru themselves. Ive run a z4 (260 ps) on both my classics for 8 years+ Its one of the best/safest pre 96 ecu maps. Cheap upgrade from a u8 or w6 as they go for £30-50 on ebay.

Last edited by dj219957; 09 December 2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 09:24 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
if youre turning it into a track car ecu is least of your worries, decent brakes tyres and suspension should be top of the list
Yes you right there . If it's a track car then bits like that will be added . It's just to have a bit of fun in .

Last edited by Jayjay100; 09 December 2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09 December 2014, 09:33 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
z4 260ps ecu is a easy upgrade and runs perfect in the place of the 240ps u8/w6 ecu. it was mearly a map tweak to the 95 spec cars made by Subaru themselves. Ive run a z4 (260 ps) on both my classics for 8 years+ Its one of the best/safest pre 96 ecu maps. Cheap upgrade from a u8 or w6 as they go for £30-50 on ebay.
Thank u that's is what I work sheet after . Something to up it a bit . But did not want to pay out lots at the mo. Not yet . Nice 1.
Will be bidding on a z4 ASAP .
I no esl and so on is the wAy but not when your going to sell it or track car it .
& if I do race it I dnot need300bhp .
It's just going to be used for the weekend , plus letting my son have a go driving it .
Life is to short . Lost a mate last week & it's making me see thing different .
Got to have fun when u can.
as for upgrade on the track it's got full Sti spring and dammpers all round top strut bar . Do need better brakes . But I want and see .
Would like to no what colour my hark eye shod be . I like the black . Any ideas .
Old 09 December 2014, 09:40 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

If your keeping it to track and do want extra bhp/torque then imo the best value for money is going to be the ESL which should get you around 40 more horses without mods. Personally i would just take it to the track as it is mate,you will still have great fun as long as you're not hoping to stand on the podium. If your wanting tno compete on the track then you will need way more than a upgraded ecu.
No if I do a track car mate it's just for fun .