Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Error 285, when using DDE in vb6

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2003, 03:57 PM
CC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have a problem using DDE in vb6, with an application called BarStar.

BarStar creates barcodes. I want my vb program to get BarStar to make a barcode, then save it, using DDE.

I haven't really used DDE that much but can do simple stuff like send and get data into an Excel sheet etc.

However, when trying to get BarStar to accept a number to produce a barcode, I get the error message :

"Run-Time Error 285, Foreign Application won't perform DDE method or operation"

When I press help on the Error message dialog box, the MSDN help suggests :

"An application refused to perform the DDE method or operation you attempted. This error has the following causes and solutions:

You supplied data or commands that the other application did not recognize.
Check the application's documentation to see what data or commands it recognizes.

The LinkItem property isn't set to an item that the other application recognizes as valid for the topic of the conversation.
Check the application's documentation to see what items it recognizes."

The Help that comes with BarStar related to DDE is as follows :

"DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) is the message protocol to exchanges data between Windows application. DDE is used through the clipboard. In the case of usual operation in BarStar, a user operates copy and paste through the clipboard. In the case of DDE coordinating Windows application and BarStar, the dateflow is controlled in the background.
BarStar supports Two different of DDE functions. One is the method of linking and attaching bar code as the Microsoft Word etc. Another one is DDE command implementation function, which carries out macro programming with Microsoft Access and so on, links with BarStar and dose DDE communication. Use according to an usage.

A Linking and attaching method operates directly BarStar and create the bar code. The bar code is attached and is attached as an object with other Windows applications
On the other hand, DDE command implementation function is described about 70 different of DDE commands that BarStar supports to a macro program. Most the functions of BarStar are remote."

Now, I am thinking that my LinkItem is incorrect, but there is a ReadMe.txt in BarStars folder...a very interesting bit of it as follows :

"yNotez
A obstacle is reported that occurs by the fault of a language development
in BarStar for Windows Version 1.4 demonstration of 32 bits. If you use
Microsoft Windows 95 you will execute the following explained treatment
method. Or you may change version of 16 bits.Furthermore, the following is
explained under the syntax of Visual Basic.

sObstacle and also the treatment methodt
When DDE function of BarStar is used with an application command, the
transmission of string (execution of LinkExecute method) is answered by
all of BarStar as [rejected command].
Therefore, an application finishes the command string transmission
(LinkExecute method) with the error. BarStar normally processes the
received correct command letter line.
Disregard in error trap routine of application error No. 285 "There
is no external application that supported DDE " (Visual Basic Ver. 4.0).
As for the development of an application, Do the test whether or not
command string was processed normally with BarStar, a syntax is wrong or
command transmission order is faulty."

This is my code:

Private Sub Form_Load()

Text1.Text = 123
Text1.LinkTopic = "BarStar|BarCode"
Text1.LinkItem = "Message"
Text1.LinkMode = 2
Text1.LinkPoke

End Sub

This is proper doing my nut in . I can't think of any other LinkItem other than Message, which is the main input box in BarStar. I am more and more inclined to think that the error I am getting is to do with the above part of the ReadMe.txt file but I can't understand exactly what problem the text is referring to.

Sorry for this being a long and probably boring problem but if I can't sort it, the project is being outsourced !

Many Thanks in advance,

Chris

My pc is running Win2000.

ps I can get the program to work using Shell and SendKey but this isn't ideal as I need to send about 1000 numbers to BarStar!