Winter Tyres - when to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2013, 07:14 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tyres - when to fit?

Yes, I know, when it gets cold

I'm considering getting some winter tyres (as I have been for several years) and the main problem I have is when to fit and when to leave them on with regard to our changeable weather conditions - I live in the south.

I know 7°C is the crossover point but what are winter tyres like up to, say, 10 or 15°C compared with summer tyres at, say, 2°?

I've seen recommendations that you fit winter tyres in October and change back again in March/April when it warms up which seems very simplistic as the temperatures frequently go over 7° in this period.

Also, have any of you had any problems with regard to insurance companies accepting them?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 21 November 2013, 09:38 AM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I fitted mine last week and feel fine wet or dry.

Common sense should tell you to take it steady on different tyres till you 'get the feel of them'.

Some insurance companies insist you tell them you're on winter tyres others don't. Give them a quick call when you have them fitted as a courtesy.Or better still before you buy them just to see how they deal with them. You should NOT be charged anything by them for fitting winter tyres.
Old 21 November 2013, 10:15 AM
thestumper
Scooby Regular

Fitted mine last weekend and they feel good on wet and dry roads. Temps have been above 7c a couple of times and they still feel better than the Yoko's I took off.
No problem with insurance (Greenlight) and they added them on with no cost.
Old 22 November 2013, 11:56 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

mine are on
Old 22 November 2013, 09:29 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to get some fitted, but not sure which to go for.

Anyone got a link to any good deals?
Old 24 November 2013, 09:14 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude

Some insurance companies insist you tell them you're on winter tyres others don't.
How bizarre.
Old 24 November 2013, 11:08 PM
Rex300
Scooby Regular

I fitted my winter tyres during the last week, just before the coldish weather on Wednesday. Seem fine every day since. I changed from re050s to Michelin alpins. I think the telling thing was that they felt equally as good at higher temps (7/8deg) and of course better when colder.

Regarding insurance, I have my winter tyres on a second set of wheels so had to advise admiral changing to non standard alloys.

Not sure about deals, but the Michelin alpins scored highly in last year's evo magazine winter tyre test.
Old 24 November 2013, 11:13 PM
Paul C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a set of yokohama w drive winters for sale 235 45 17 nearly new 7.5-8mm tread depth
Old 25 November 2013, 12:23 PM
boyward
Scooby Newbie

Fitted my spare wheels with Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance tyres fitted to them yesterday. Been meaning to do it for a couple of weeks but only got round to it yesterday.

I generally dont change until November, but, I also gauge it by what the temperature is doing on the way to and from work. As soon as it is consistently below 10°C in the morning i'll consider fitting them, and then as soon as theres a dip down below 5 once or twice that's decision made. Now the evenings are closing in as well it's colder in the evenings too but have never had any problems running the winter tyres in mid teens °C either when it does warm up a bit during the day, certainly they are fine in spring when it's still frosty in the mornings and it warms up nicely during the day. Just got to keep in mind you've got a softer rubber on there when you think of spanking it when it's warm

Always go with the mindset of having the right tyres on for the worst conditions i drive in ... early starts at work tend to be the coldest so even if it's warmer in the afternoons going home i'll go by what the morning drive is like

Last edited by boyward; 25 November 2013 at 12:25 PM.