Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes seem to be lacking

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2013, 12:08 AM
Skellz
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes seem to be lacking

Bought and had fitted some Godspeed discs + Kevlar pads + SS hoses & fluid back in Nov/Dec 2012 for my Blob WRX. But i've noticed that the brakes are not very responsive at all when pushing my foot onto the brake pedal, they seem spongey even when warm and if i really stomp on them as in an emergency brake i get a strange slipping/vibrating feedback feeling through the pedal. There is no sharp response from them. Up to this point I thought perhaps the Kevlar pads were not all that great and I should get some premium one's but now I'm beginning to think maybe its something else?

I was hoping for a decent upgrade over standard brakes, but I'm not very mechanically minded and at a guess I thought maybe there's not enough pressure being built up because they are not sharp at all. Any ideas? I should have seen to the problem earlier but in their current state I cant trust them with high speed driving. Is it likely to be perhaps a problem with the master cylinder or perhaps air in the brake fluid and requires a bleed? though they were filled with new fluid when the brakes were fitted

Last edited by Skellz; 27 July 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 27 July 2013, 08:21 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

firstly have the brakes been bled properly after the hoses were fitted, are the calipers in good condition with no sticky pistons, were the rear brakes over-hauled or upgraded at the same time???

could be various problems but IMO ultimately i find the Kevlar pads to be poor and you'd be far better off in most cases with a high quality factory spec material, if you want an upgarde then fit a better material altogther
Old 27 July 2013, 10:11 AM
Skellz
Scooby Newbie

I'm pretty sure the mech that fitted them bled them properly before, I dont know if the calipers are in good con as nobody has ever said anything about them being bad, the rear brakes were done at the same time too.

I was looking at mintex 1144/55 pads or perhaps the EBC bluestuff which are more expensive?
Old 27 July 2013, 10:33 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

i have one sticky pot on the front 4pots but my brakes still feel like they gona pull my face off,im looking for pads too and nearly got a set of kevlars,as matey said the spongyness sounds like they not bleed properly does the pedal go hard after a couple presses, go for the cheap routes 1st mate get them re-bleed
Old 27 July 2013, 10:38 AM
Skellz
Scooby Newbie

Pedal doesn't go "hard", no. There's mainly a lack of pressure resistance and only if i push really hard that i get some. But yeah I think having them bled as a first port of call will be a good idea.
Old 27 July 2013, 10:48 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

defo mate if you cant do it your self a mobile mechanic wouldnt charge much i doubt or if you know any body even better check your brake fluid level aswell if its low that wont help, and dont drive fast if your taking it somewhere would hate to read a post later saying you crashed lol, ive read mixed revues about the kevlar pads i guess people either love or hate them, ive got oem pads at the mo, they wear quickly and make a lot of dust but preform well for me (road/fast road)ive got new disks waining im gonna do the pot refurb then look about choosing some pads, let us know how you get on with the kevlar pads when the brakes are sorted (oh and if they wernt bleed properly dont take the car back to have work done the garage sound sloppy its not very professional and dangerous
Old 27 July 2013, 11:50 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stomping on the brakes for an emergency type stop will likely wake up the ABS........ mine tends to cut in way earlier than I like but I guess it's a safety feature. Insurance is invalid if I pull the ABS fuse though.

I quite liked my Pagid Blue pads from AS Performance on my Godspeed setup but probably a bit dated now as that was 10 years ago LOL

Shaun
Old 27 July 2013, 05:50 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

nothing wrong with rs4.2 Blues Shaun................
Old 27 July 2013, 06:18 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
nothing wrong with rs4.2 Blues Shaun................
we due a group buy on 4pot subaru capiler pad anytime soon
Old 03 August 2013, 12:04 PM
Skellz
Scooby Newbie

Just picked my car back up from the garage and the mechy there told me that the mechanic who fitted my brakes had put 2-3 of the pads on the wrong way round, one was getting stuck with a rear caliper? There was lack of grease/oil applied when they were put on and also one of the brake hoses was twisted. The mechanic who fitted my brakes back in December is nothing to do with the garage i took it to today, but i'm quite suprised as he does a lot of work for the company my father works for (BCA).

Anyway the garage i took it too have sorted that, bled the brakes and put new 5.1 fluid in, as well as de-glazed the pads. Just from driving back home I can already feel they are now firmer/sharper and give a better feel, the guy said the ABS cuts in early so its probably the juddering i felt. Will have to go out for a proper drive, but from a 15 min quick drive they did feel good once warmed up a little.

Last edited by Skellz; 03 August 2013 at 12:05 PM.