Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Rotating Tyres - Need Balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2002, 03:20 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was about to swap the front and rear tyres round to even out the wear but was told by someone that I shouldn't do this myself. He said that I would definitely need all the tyres re-balancing so I should take it to a tyre shop to get it balanced and then rotated in one go.

Is there any truth in this? Or can I just go ahead and do it myself?
Old 19 May 2002, 01:02 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally i would go ahead and swap them. Can't see any reason why they would need balancing when changing axles, after all balanced is balanced and when the tyres were put on the car new, they will have been balanced.
Old 19 May 2002, 01:07 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Depends if the wheels/tyres were originally balanced "on car" or "off car".

Being four wheel drive I would expect the wheels to have been balanced on a machine (off car), so swap them over if you want.

Only criteria is that you keep them on the same side since *most* performance tyres are directional.

A
Old 19 May 2002, 01:41 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

HERES A RELATED STUPID QUESTION= DOES THE TYRE PRESSURE MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU BALANCE A WHEEL[E.G. I BALANCE A WHEEL WHITH 33 PSI THEN A MONTH LATTER IT GOES DWN TO 31 PSI -IS THI WHEEL NOW UNBALANCED?
Old 21 May 2002, 03:12 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

As previously stated tyres are normally balanced off the car therefore there should be no problem, I swap mine around as front wear is generally greater to try to reach a point where I can change all 4 at the same time & have had no problems. Just cheak for direction arrows on the tyres, if you cant find them ensure you swap front to back on the SAME SIDE of the car, then just adjust tyre pressures to suit.

Changing tyre pressure should not cause the wheel to go out of balance unless all the air loss was from one side of the tyre only, thereby causing an imbalance to be generated. this could also happen if heavier air is used on one side of the tyre when inflating it ,then even if the loss of volume from the tyre overall is the same the loss of heavier air from one side of the tyre will again cause an imbalance causing the wheel to go out of balance. You should therefore ensure when having tyres fitted that the tyre retailer has purchased all his air from one source, that it is of even density & if air from more than one delivery is used that the manufacturers batch numbers match
(NO IM NOT SERIOUS about the last paragraph, just bored)