Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Squeaky brakes when coasting

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2002, 08:47 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I had my disc's and pads done under waranty about 4k ago, they always squealed when braking in reverse, I thought it would go away with time, but its getting worse.

Now I've also noticed when rolling foward at slow speed I can hear a squeak coming from the brakes, pressing the brake pedal lightly the squeak goes, release back it comes

The squeak kinda sounds like its catching something, like the disc is buckled.

What's the likley cause? Hoping they can do it under waranty..
Old 19 May 2002, 04:17 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

the squeal when going backwards is probably due to the pads clamping onto the disc against the lay of the fibres etc in the pad and has an effect similar to turning a record the wrong way against the stylus - (dunno about mixing decks - too modern for me). if you drove backwards all the time, it would do it when you went forwards

the forwards driving squeal is possibly the pads lightly touching the discs and the squeal is effectively a high pitched rattle you can hear. as the squeal goes when you put the brakes on - even lightly - and you make full contact with the disc and don't have leading edge contact only this seems the most viable explanation.

another one is you've worn enough metal off the discs that you're getting contact from the lip that's left around the edge which can be filed off.

just a couple of ideas to look at

Apple
Old 19 May 2002, 05:26 PM
oatman
Scooby Regular

squeaky front brakes when coasting

i had the same prob,once i had removed the pads and filed an angle on the pads and put them back on the sqeak went after 20 mins driving..

andi
Old 21 May 2002, 02:53 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Mega_stream
have a look at thread entitled "should I be worried about Brakes" looks like you both have the same problem.
Old 23 May 2002, 05:00 PM
The Bear
Scooby Newbie

Had the same thing myself, told the dealer on last 2 services and they say they can't emulate the problem (I read that as can't be bothered too)

I just put up with it now, though it sounds **** when you're crusing along a high street and people stare 'cos of the unhealthy noise eminating from your flash car!
Old 24 May 2002, 07:14 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Guys

Not sure if this will help, but are you sure the noise is coming from the front wheels?

I had a very similar problem on my MY00 a while back.
God-awful LOUD squeeking when coasting (with no brake application) at low speeds.

Turns out it was a small sliver of friction material which had come away from one of the rear hand brake shoes (inside the disc bell.)
With no-where to go, this little ba$stard sliver decided to drag along on the inside of the bell creating the noise.

Dead easy fix - rear disc off, remove the sliver and hey presto - no more noise

Just a thought...

Rich