AP 6 pots V K Sport 8 pots

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2012, 04:12 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP 6 pots V K Sport 8 pots

All,

I have a 2006 UK STI with a few mods taking it upto 340ish BHP. It also has coilovers, rear ARB, ALK and fast road set up. I do plan in a year or two to put a bigger turbo on so more power will come I have the standard 17's at the moment and would like to keep them as i have 2 sets. one of which will hopefully be track wheels with 888. As its not my everyday car i have a couple of months to save up the required funds.

My brakes are shot at the moment and from what i have seen new pads and discs are going to be in the region of £500. So should i go for K sports which would be about £600 more - what i can get for my Brembo's or AP's which would be £1000 - what i can get for my Brembo's.

As its alot of money i'm not sure what to do. Any usefull coments would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks all.
Old 02 September 2012, 11:40 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Any comments guys
Old 03 September 2012, 01:05 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We are went with K-sport and we are happy,before we are run DS2500 which has been too dusty,now we are running PF Z rated pads and we are very happy like on the road or on the track

We are running 9JX17" ET20 with Toyo R888 255/40 R17 for track and our K-sport 8pots 356mm clear those rims/alloys without the problem.

I would say,you will need get better pads too on the K-sport,because supplied K-Sport pads are just not good for track or fast road.You have big choice of the pads.

About the AP, rebuild cost of the AP callipers is bit higher than for rebuild of the Brembo.K-Sport you don't need to rebuild.

Yes if its no money object I would go with AP or Porsche brakes,but if its budget limited would go with K-Sport everytime

Jura
Old 03 September 2012, 02:06 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Tbh the cheapest option in your opinion is to go for carborn Lorraine rc6 pads on the Brembo calipers , you will see a magnificent diffrence, and avoid drilled discs with that combination as they are tough on discs, use grooved or plain Brembo discs for best effect,
Old 03 September 2012, 06:25 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I have the 330mm AP 4 pots on my car and the brakes are incredible I will be upgrading to the 356s soon (purely for cosmetic reasons as I now have 18s).
Old 03 September 2012, 08:32 AM
P1 Daveyboy
Scooby Regular

I would look at it this way
Is your life worth AP or K Sport money
The answer is yours mate
Old 03 September 2012, 11:28 AM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know what rotors and pads come with the Godspeed kit?
Old 03 September 2012, 01:38 PM
Tech@PFC
Charlie From PFC

Default PF 2-Piece Discs

Have you seen the PF 2-peice disc upgrades? (There are some photos and info here - https://www.scoobynet.com/traders-co...on-brakes.html)

These work very well with the Brembo calipers and we have a range of pad compounds available from low dust low noise through to full race high bite high torque depending on your needs.

This is a very popular upgrade fitted to a lot of high powered cars with great results.

Let me know if you would like a quote we offer a 10% ScoobyNet discount.

Regards,
Charlie
Old 03 September 2012, 01:54 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

As above I would highly recommend that set up I have been running it for about 5years now with no problems road or track.
Old 04 September 2012, 02:03 AM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tech@PFC
Have you seen the PF 2-peice disc upgrades? (There are some photos and info here - https://www.scoobynet.com/traders-co...on-brakes.html)

These work very well with the Brembo calipers and we have a range of pad compounds available from low dust low noise through to full race high bite high torque depending on your needs.

This is a very popular upgrade fitted to a lot of high powered cars with great results.

Let me know if you would like a quote we offer a 10% ScoobyNet discount.

Regards,
Charlie
I have seen this and this is my question am I better of spending the extra from what you have mentioned and get some AP's or K sports?
Old 04 September 2012, 05:56 AM
fawor
BANNED

Default b

Originally Posted by a5h
I have seen this and this is my question am I better of spending the extra from what you have mentioned and get some AP's or K sports?
Ap front 3k new,some wrotee about life
worth, then buy new but buy new ksport front and rear and im sure will work better then only ap front setup and still you have 800 in the pocket. I have ksports and im happy with.

Last edited by fawor; 04 September 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04 September 2012, 08:39 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 380 Likes on 302 Posts

£3K for new front AP's??? not sure where your getting your pricing from...
Old 04 September 2012, 10:42 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by stockcar
£3K for new front AP's??? not sure where your getting your pricing from...
Ebay cp5570 ,you can find them for 2k with pads but not sure are the same calipers.

Last edited by fawor; 06 September 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04 September 2012, 11:12 AM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
Ebay ,you can find them for 2k with pads but not sure are the same calipers.
Goodspeed do a kit for £1500 that will go under 17" wheels.
Old 04 September 2012, 12:02 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Hey Ash,

I recently upgraded my discs and pads, well about 6 months ago and if its any consolation to your request I went for braketech drilled discs and Kevlar pads with a set of HEL lines. They were under £500 but your probably wanting to spend more.

They seem good (havent got much to compare them against) better than standard but I guess not as good as some of the other brands you've mentioned.
Old 04 September 2012, 03:15 PM
Tech@PFC
Charlie From PFC

Originally Posted by a5h
The stock STi Brembo’s are a good calliper they’re a bit chunky and can retain a lot of heat but are very durable and reliable. The main advantage of a full upgrade kit is the larger disc, these can take more heat and should also be able to cool more effectively. But a larger disc can also reduce the controllability and can make it a bit too easy to lock the wheels or activate the ABS (not such an issue if you’ll be using 888’s but is with low grip tyres or in cold conditions)

The best choice depends on your priorities but our 2 piece discs with race pads and RH665 race fluid is a very strong and effective braking system that won’t fade away even with heavy track use and our high bite high torque pads have excellent stopping power.

Feel free to contact me for further information,
Regards,
Charlie
Old 04 September 2012, 03:48 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
Hey Ash,

I recently upgraded my discs and pads, well about 6 months ago and if its any consolation to your request I went for braketech drilled discs and Kevlar pads with a set of HEL lines. They were under £500 but your probably wanting to spend more.

They seem good (havent got much to compare them against) better than standard but I guess not as good as some of the other brands you've mentioned.
Mate where you been long time no see?

To be fair I have done the upgraded 1 piece discs and pads and while they were great for what they are. I want more and I think now with needing the brakes replaced is the right time to take this step. But which way do I go.

Last edited by a5h; 04 September 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04 September 2012, 03:52 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tech@PFC
The stock STi Brembo’s are a good calliper they’re a bit chunky and can retain a lot of heat but are very durable and reliable. The main advantage of a full upgrade kit is the larger disc, these can take more heat and should also be able to cool more effectively. But a larger disc can also reduce the controllability and can make it a bit too easy to lock the wheels or activate the ABS (not such an issue if you’ll be using 888’s but is with low grip tyres or in cold conditions)

The best choice depends on your priorities but our 2 piece discs with race pads and RH665 race fluid is a very strong and effective braking system that won’t fade away even with heavy track use and our high bite high torque pads have excellent stopping power.

Feel free to contact me for further information,
Regards,
Charlie
Thanks for taking the time to reply Charlie and if I just do the discs and pads I will give you a call. The heat the Brembos hold on track do bother me from a recent day I did at Bedford. A mates AP we're practically Luke warm compared to mine.
Old 05 September 2012, 11:59 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ash,

Im in the same boat as you right now.
Want to upgrade my front brakes, as with the power im running they are just not up to the job. I have tried a couple of different combos of discs and pads, the mintex 1155's being the best pads for overall usage of track and road driving. The orange stuff pads i dont rate at all and create a lot of dust to boot!

Also like yourself, thinking that just doing the 2 piece disc upgrade will not be enough to warrant the price that they cost, while still having the thought in the back of your mind that i should have got the whole kit with new calipers.

I think i will end up biting the bullet and go for Ians 335 AP kit which will fit under my 17's track wheels, as i dont want to have to spend further getting another set of 18's for my brakes.

Mel
Old 05 September 2012, 12:10 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I bought PF discs and pads and wore them on the inner faces doing a few trackdays, once done I went to 330mm AP six pots, and can't fault them.

HTH

dunx
Old 05 September 2012, 12:18 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MelTypeR
Ash,

Im in the same boat as you right now.
Want to upgrade my front brakes, as with the power im running they are just not up to the job. I have tried a couple of different combos of discs and pads, the mintex 1155's being the best pads for overall usage of track and road driving. The orange stuff pads i dont rate at all and create a lot of dust to boot!

Also like yourself, thinking that just doing the 2 piece disc upgrade will not be enough to warrant the price that they cost, while still having the thought in the back of your mind that i should have got the whole kit with new calipers.

I think i will end up biting the bullet and go for Ians 335 AP kit which will fit under my 17's track wheels, as i dont want to have to spend further getting another set of 18's for my brakes.

Mel
Mel,

Long time no see hope all is well

Yep sound like your in the same boat I found some AP calipers with bells for the 355 discs but don't think they will fit. So by the time I buy new discs it come to the £100 of the new kit from Ian. So I think that's just the best option aswell. Im surprised he has not come on this thread with that recommendation. Lol.
Old 05 September 2012, 12:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

If you run to them, Ap's are by far the best, theres a reason why most race and rally cars run them.
Old 05 September 2012, 03:00 PM
Legacyb4-Dan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
I have the 330mm AP 4 pots on my car and the brakes are incredible I will be upgrading to the 356s soon (purely for cosmetic reasons as I now have 18s).
Is it much work to upgrade to the 356's i have the same on mine as you do and was wondering if its possible to add a larger disc. Do you need completely new discs or can you reuse the bells with larger diameter discs?
Old 05 September 2012, 04:24 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a5h
Mel,

Long time no see hope all is well

Yep sound like your in the same boat I found some AP calipers with bells for the 355 discs but don't think they will fit. So by the time I buy new discs it come to the £100 of the new kit from Ian. So I think that's just the best option aswell. Im surprised he has not come on this thread with that recommendation. Lol.

You can fit 356mm under 17" but you will need low offset 17".

About the discs speak to Alyn@AS Performance,he give us last time great price for AP Discs and pads

Or have look in the For sale section,there selling Matt@need4speeduk

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...ot-set-up.html

We are running low offset 9JX17"(ET20) with K-Sport 8pots 356mm and i'm sure you can fit both of those setups which selling Matt under low offset 17"

Jura
Old 05 September 2012, 08:36 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
You can fit 356mm under 17" but you will need low offset 17".

About the discs speak to Alyn@AS Performance,he give us last time great price for AP Discs and pads

Or have look in the For sale section,there selling Matt@need4speeduk

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...ot-set-up.html

We are running low offset 9JX17"(ET20) with K-Sport 8pots 356mm and i'm sure you can fit both of those setups which selling Matt under low offset 17"

Jura
Jura,

Knew I could rely on you mate. do you know if they will fit under my standard 17" as I have 2 sets and don't want to go and buy new sets??
Old 05 September 2012, 10:49 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a5h
Jura,

Knew I could rely on you mate. do you know if they will fit under my standard 17" as I have 2 sets and don't want to go and buy new sets??

I don't think 355/356mm will not fit under standard 17",you will need aftermarket low offset 17"

Jura
Old 06 September 2012, 09:10 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 380 Likes on 302 Posts

the 330 "forumla" AP is the only one they do that fits under 17" std wheels....for the 355 kit the AP "formula" kit requires 18" std wheels....

alyn
Old 06 September 2012, 10:52 AM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
the 330 "forumla" AP is the only one they do that fits under 17" std wheels....for the 355 kit the AP "formula" kit requires 18" std wheels....

alyn
Alyn,

Thanks for the definative answer

I guess 330 is the answer. But im still where to go with it.
Old 06 September 2012, 11:26 AM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up Alyn.

Jura,

I think the case with me and Ash is that we dont want to have to go out and buy another set of wheels just to run the brakes.

I contacted Matt re his Porsche setup, but since my 18's BBS are 53 offset they wont fit over the caliper. So would need 2 sets of alloys use them and thats not really an option for me.

Our only option it looks like, will be to go for the 335 AP kit that Ian can supply with the CP7040 calipers, as at least it will allow us to keep our standard 17's.

Im sure this setup will still provide a massive improvement over the brembo setup.

Mel
Old 06 September 2012, 08:02 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MelTypeR
Thanks for clearing that up Alyn.

Jura,

I think the case with me and Ash is that we dont want to have to go out and buy another set of wheels just to run the brakes.

I contacted Matt re his Porsche setup, but since my 18's BBS are 53 offset they wont fit over the caliper. So would need 2 sets of alloys use them and thats not really an option for me.

Our only option it looks like, will be to go for the 335 AP kit that Ian can supply with the CP7040 calipers, as at least it will allow us to keep our standard 17's.

Im sure this setup will still provide a massive improvement over the brembo setup.

Mel
Mel when you looking to buy maybe we should contact Ian and see if he's will to do us a deal on two kits

Quick Reply: AP 6 pots V K Sport 8 pots