Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Poor brakes

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2012, 09:28 PM
subzerokent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor brakes

Just done me first track day. Could get in about 8 laps before brake fade set in

I know I need new rear discs and pads what are people using. Going brembo not an option at the moment.

So I'm thinking braided hoses 5.1 fluid brake servo stopper them I thinking the big disc conversion for the front

It's for a 52 plate bugeye

Ian
Old 23 January 2012, 10:50 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

A lot of us are running Godspeeds grooved discs....very good. Padswise, EBC Bluestuff or Orangestuff

Last edited by ScoobySteve69; 23 January 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 27 January 2012, 10:13 AM
Tech@PFC
Charlie From PFC

Hello Ian,

Brakes are always a weak point when taking a road car out on the track.

Fluid
Good quality racing fluid is certainly an essential upgrade.

Please check out our RH665 Racing Fluid that meets DOT4 and so is fully road legal. Our RH665 Fluid actually has the highest boiling point of any that conforms to DOT4 and it also has excellent moisture resistance properties.

Pads
Upgraded pads will improve performance and reduce fade, in choosing pads you really need to decide if you want to go for a full on race pad which will offer a massive step up in performance and fade resistance but can be irritating for road use, can be noisy and dusty. Or a performance road pad with improved performance and fade resistance over the over OE components but still designed to minimise noise and dusting.

From the performance Friction range we have-
.01 Race Compound - Offers high initial bite and excellent modulation but also works very well at cold temperatures.

Z-Rated Fast Road Compound – A good step up in performance and fade resistance over OE but with low dust and utilises noises suppressing technologies to minimise break “squeal”.

Discs
Good quality 2-Peice discs will go a long way in reducing break fade, they can much more effectively cool and their also lighter plus they’d reduce the amplification of any noise from squealing pads. High quality discs will also last much longer for road and track use.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Charlie
Old 27 January 2012, 10:36 AM
Tech@PFC
Charlie From PFC

There is a bit more information on some of the Performance Friction products on our dealer page https://www.scoobynet.com/traders-co...on-brakes.html.

Or please feel free to contact me by PM, Email (cstaveley@performancefriction.com) or call me (+44 (0) 1295 221 023) if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Charlie
Old 28 January 2012, 09:33 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Carbone Lorraine RC6 are very good as well, but they can be harsh on discs if used wrong.
(dragging the brakes ,for example is going to get you knackered dics before you know it.Brake hard and short ,not long and a little)

Try them with a very cheap set of blanks before getting fancy 2 piece ones is my advise.
Old 28 January 2012, 09:37 PM
V7C
Scooby Regular

DS2500 front pads are good
Old 28 January 2012, 09:42 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on budget I'd think about a godspeed big brake conversion and some XP8 pads with braided lines and good fluid.

I'll sit back and wait for everyone else as there are a shed load of ways to skin this particular cat LOL

Shaun

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2012, 09:53 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

DS2500 are a overraated pad IMHO, they did not cope with regular spirited driving on my classic, so trackwork on a heavier Newage would certainly be out of their range.

Godspeed conversion could well be the solution, as the 4 pot itself is a good caliper, and you can get many different pads for them (from Hawk HPS to potter around town, to CL RC6/PF01/Endless for track work)

Also, the Godspeed kit will fit under many 17" wheels. whereas the brembo's (should you find funds for them,or for anyone else thinking about the swap) can be a bit finicky with wheel offset/spoke shape on 17" wheels, thus maybe requiring the extra expense of money for other wheels.

I went with Stoptech 6 years ago, as the Brembo's (which were cheaper by themselves) would require me to change out 3 sets of WRX wheels (summer/winter/track)