Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

How many outings

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2011, 11:43 PM
evorach
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many outings

Looking at track day tyres for next season and considering 888's. How many track days could I reasonably expect to get out of a set?
Old 31 December 2011, 02:22 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Depends on which tracks and how many laps (as well as driving style etc). Somewhere like Alconbury or Bruntingthorpe with rough surfaces and you will be lucky to see a full day out of the shoulders on them. whereas somewhere with good smooth tarmac and you could drive for days on them.
Old 31 December 2011, 10:36 AM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just replaced mine and I got 8 track days out of them plus a bit of on road use
Went for the same again in GG compound
Old 31 December 2011, 11:10 AM
JB1
Scooby Regular

I would say that it depends what you want from your track day and your tyres. Anyone can get road mileage out of 888s on track if they drive like it's on the road. On the other hand, if you are going to be really on it and wan't to be right on the edge of the envelope of their performance then they only have a few useful heat cycles before they go off, and with the 888s we found that if they were overheated just once, the performance of them degraded a lot.

How is your driving on track? I have given my part worns to people in the past who think they are fantastic, but I wouldn't use them.

If you want to use them to the max and have no degregation in performance, then you can do a set in half a day on track easily. If you are at an average level and don't push that hard then a few track days.

I am currently using the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 and found them to be really good.... and a lot cheaper than the 888s
Old 31 December 2011, 08:25 PM
evorach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JB1
I would say that it depends what you want from your track day and your tyres. Anyone can get road mileage out of 888s on track if they drive like it's on the road. On the other hand, if you are going to be really on it and wan't to be right on the edge of the envelope of their performance then they only have a few useful heat cycles before they go off, and with the 888s we found that if they were overheated just once, the performance of them degraded a lot.

How is your driving on track? I have given my part worns to people in the past who think they are fantastic, but I wouldn't use them.

If you want to use them to the max and have no degregation in performance, then you can do a set in half a day on track easily. If you are at an average level and don't push that hard then a few track days.

I am currently using the Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 and found them to be really good.... and a lot cheaper than the 888s
It might be worth me trying the Yokohamas or something similar. I do drive the car hard but it's fairly low powered compared to some at 323 (should be 350 ish this year). I just want to get the best performance I can out of the car, having spent a fair bit on handling and braking this Christmas, but I'm on a budget and at 800 for a set I'd like them to last at least 3-5 track days.
Old 01 January 2012, 10:59 AM
JB1
Scooby Regular

Buy a set of part worn ones and see how you go with them maybe. If they have done a race day then they will have gone off and lost their advantage for someone wanting that last few tenths of a second, but it will give you a good sense of how they are and if you think a new set would be worth it.

888s are also a death trap over standing water on track. They are good if it's damp, but as soon as it rains properly they will catch you out very easily. The Yokohamas are better in the wet, so more rounded in my opinion.
Old 01 January 2012, 01:38 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

For low budget have look for Kumho V70 or Federal RS-R595 which are on par with R888,just price of both(Kumho or Federal) is better

Jura
Old 01 January 2012, 02:34 PM
evorach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
For low budget have look for Kumho V70 or Federal RS-R595 which are on par with R888,just price of both(Kumho or Federal) is better

Jura
Will have to have a look at those
Old 02 January 2012, 10:09 AM
b3mwe
Scooby Regular

Check the kuhmo v70a matey very underrated tyre