Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

330 BHP WRX Classic - Brake upgrade, STI or Brembo?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2011, 11:42 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 330 BHP WRX Classic - Brake upgrade, STI or Brembo?

Hello guys I will be getting my 93 WRX mapped early part of next month and will be looking at the 330 ish mark with the mods I'm currently undertaking. Thing is I've only got the standard 2-pots which are definetly not going to be up to the job
I'm thinking Classic STi 4-pots with Godspeed discs and pads on the front, leave the rears as standard. Will this be up to the job or will I need to look at spending on Brembos or similar?
I have found a 2001 bugeye WRX rusting in a nearby front garden, will this have 4-pots that I can use? I'm thinking of offering to buy it as I will be needing a stronger gearbox aswell and i break cars for a living so could always find use for the leftovers

As always your help and opinions is much appreciated.
Old 15 September 2011, 08:11 AM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

I found the need for some extra braking power only after 360bhp+
I believe that you will be ok with the Classic STi 4-pots with Godspeed discs and pads on the front BUT overall it is a better solution to go for the new age STI brembos if you can afford it but have in mind that you have to change the brake master cylinder since you have an early classic impreza if you go that way
Old 15 September 2011, 07:43 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrathchild_78
I found the need for some extra braking power only after 360bhp+
I believe that you will be ok with the Classic STi 4-pots with Godspeed discs and pads on the front BUT overall it is a better solution to go for the new age STI brembos if you can afford it but have in mind that you have to change the brake master cylinder since you have an early classic impreza if you go that way
Thanks buddy, am ordering the discs and pads from godspeed and have just bought some STI 4-pot calipers for £175 delivered on eBay. Would of loved the Brembos, my mate has them on his Leon cupra and whenever I borrow it I nearly go through the windscreen!! Just couldn't warrant the cost on top of everything else I've spent on the car this month.
Old 16 September 2011, 10:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Those brakes will be fine: I assume you will strip and rebuild the calipers once you have them? Or get Ian to do it Not a difficult job and worth it for peace of mind, they CAN suffer from the calipers seizing due to corrosion, or the seals being duff and allowing debris in

Give 'em a couple of coats of your choice of coloured smooth Hammerite too. You can pick out the letters SUBARU in a different colour if you have the patience, or paint a block of wood thickly and press lit lightly onto the letters

With those brakes, you also have the possibility of re-BUILDING the calipers at a later date, using Ian's kit, to take larger discs.........for when you uprate the engine again

Newage Brembos are good, I have them on the rear of mine, with some slighly smaller Brembos Ian USED to sell on the front. They fit under newage WRX 17" wheels which I have...........newage STi Brembos DO NOT fit under at the front They need the STi wheels too.......more expense
Old 17 September 2011, 12:21 PM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Those brakes will be fine: I assume you will strip and rebuild the calipers once you have them? Or get Ian to do it Not a difficult job and worth it for peace of mind, they CAN suffer from the calipers seizing due to corrosion, or the seals being duff and allowing debris in

Give 'em a couple of coats of your choice of coloured smooth Hammerite too. You can pick out the letters SUBARU in a different colour if you have the patience, or paint a block of wood thickly and press lit lightly onto the letters

With those brakes, you also have the possibility of re-BUILDING the calipers at a later date, using Ian's kit, to take larger discs.........for when you uprate the engine again

Newage Brembos are good, I have them on the rear of mine, with some slighly smaller Brembos Ian USED to sell on the front. They fit under newage WRX 17" wheels which I have...........newage STi Brembos DO NOT fit under at the front They need the STi wheels too.......more expense
I hadnt thought about that, do you know where i can buy new seals from? I reckon i might have a crack at rebuilding them myself. Cant decide what colour to paint them tho as im going pink sti style on the exterior badges and blue on the interior and guages on a black car.
Old 17 September 2011, 12:27 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just out of curiosity post up a couple of pics of the bug rusting away

Shaun
Old 19 September 2011, 12:51 AM
wotagr8bigchief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Just out of curiosity post up a couple of pics of the bug rusting away

Shaun
Sorry buddy but its in such a place I would look a bit strange taking photos, did find out some info on it though. Turns out theres nothing actually up with it and it was MOT'd before being left, the tyres kept going down and the spoiler got torn of by kids so the owner just give up and let it sit for a couple years. He is looking to sell it for offers over 2k, aside from the spoiler and a couple punctures there doesnt seem to be any other damage and I know how to get hold of him if anyones interested.
Old 19 September 2011, 01:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

A complete seals kit can be had from Godspeed. Alternatively, he will rebuild them for you and paint the colour of your choice, see his website for details.

He also does stainless pistons, not cheap, but you'll NEVER have one sieze again