Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Unidentifiable wheel/brake problem!

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2011, 04:49 PM
NickFrancis
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unidentifiable wheel/brake problem!

Hi all

Hope you can help! Got a '99 Impreza Sport that lately has developed an intermittent fault that the garage cannot track - only possibility given was hill holder clutch - can anyone help?

Basically when I get to around 70mph every so often I start getting quite a strong vibration through the steering wheel, the car pulls to the left when braking and there is a definite squeak that comes from the drivers side front wheel (the squeak can also happen at lower speeds after a fairly long journey). I also noticed after a drive from Milton Keynes to Cardiff (just after I cleaned the car) that there was far more brake dust on the driver side front alloy than the passenger.

This is intermittent as I said - it doesn't happen all the time - as the garage discovered.

They checked the suspension, calipers, brake pads, bearings, tracking, tread - basically everything - and couldn't find a fault. The only thing they suggested was maybe the hill holder clutch.

Has anyone else had anything like this and can suggest a possible solution?

Thanks

Nick
Old 22 July 2011, 04:58 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't got the pulling to the left problem but the vibration through the pedal and steering wheel I have at 70mph, mine is down to brake deposits on the discs and I've now had new pads fitted and bedding them in hopefully this will sort the problem