Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

4 pots i bought off ebay won't bleed!!

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2011, 02:47 PM
eddyendo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 pots i bought off ebay won't bleed!!

Hi guys, basically thought i'd upgrade to some 4 pots since i warped my discs to hell at combe last month, and the pads where pretty nackered then too!
So i went on the old favourite flea bay and got a pair of calipers and discs described as good used condition.

They where covered in sh*te, but after an afternoon cleaning them, they actually came out ok and the seals, pistons etc do look fine.

So fitted them but noticed both calipers are exactly the same?? is this right?? as i'd have thought they would be sided pass and driver

Fitted them anyway an the pass went on fine, bleed nipple at the top and the hose has a bit of slack. BUT on the drivers side the nipple is at the bottom and the hose pulls pretty tight to reach.

I've bled them twice now and they look to bleed up fine, but when u move the pedal just hits the floor twice before it gets pressure!

my thinking is the nipple needs to be at the top so the calipers can ''fill up'' with fluid as the air is bled out.

have I been had by some tit on ebay once again????? I value my life and i so dont want to have some bodged brakes when i'm heading down to quarry at a ton plus, thanks
Old 13 July 2011, 02:51 PM
IanK Spec C
Scooby Regular

Yep, you've sussed it correctly. The nipple needs to be at the top! You'll never bleed it otherwise. Looks like you've been sold two passenger side calipers. I'm guessing they are standard subaru 4 pot items?
Old 13 July 2011, 02:51 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've got two nearside calipers. The nipples should be at the top.
Old 13 July 2011, 02:54 PM
Wooffy
Scooby Regular

You've got two nearside calipers. The bleed nipple should be at the top. To make do for the moment remove the offside one and hold it so the bleed nipple is at the top. Insert the disc between the pads to stop the pistons popping out. Bleed as normal and refit. Test and should be ok for the time being.
Old 13 July 2011, 02:55 PM
steviefastbikes
Scooby Regular

Take the caliper off with the bleed nipple at the bottom
Jam a piece of wood in-between pistons to keep them in and hold with the nipple to top and bleed
This should get rid of the air lock
It does sound like you have two of the same though
Old 13 July 2011, 03:46 PM
eddyendo
Scooby Newbie

yea they are the standard subaru 4 pots, off a bugeye i think.
I'll give the turn it the other way up method out just out of interest, but looks like i'm gunna have to go through the painstaiking process of getting my moneys back through paypal. Will be interseting to see what the guy who sold em to me says though???
The cars not my daily driver, just use it for track day hooning an stuff so at least i'm not completely stuck! thanks
Old 13 July 2011, 03:48 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, you have two nearside calipers Contact the seller. He might just have had two sets and you might save someone from getting a pair of OS calipers.

FYI the castings are identical for both NS and OS calipers. Its only the bleed nipple and hose points are machined and drilled in different positions.