Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Steering Wheel Shake with new TS-1’s

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2002, 07:58 PM
tmp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Last week had 4 new TS-1’s put on the car (MY01 with 12k). First time I went 60+mph I noticed that the steering wheel was shaking badly .

Took it in to the tyre place where I bought them and got them to balance the front wheels again. They found the drivers side was 5g out, other one was fine, told me 5g shouldn’t really affect the steering though

So out I go again, and the shaking is less, but still there! What do I do next? Do the back wheels need balancing, any other ideas?

Cheers,

Tim.
Old 21 April 2002, 09:07 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get them balanced by someone that knows what they are doing. If it didn't shake before and the tyres are all that has changed it has to be the balance. I tried three tyre places in all and I thought I was going mad and they said it was me before I found a decent one that actually balanced my wife's front tyres properly. My watch was buzzing at 65-80 mph from the resonance of the shaking - this should not happen on a Pug 406 with soft suspension and inert overassisted steering feel! And it doesn't now and the wife notices a massive improvement now she knows how it should be. It also corners much better.

I'll let someone that can be ar$ed work out the moment of inertia of 5 grammes at 80 mph! It is not small.

[Edited by john banks - 4/21/2002 9:09:05 PM]
Old 22 April 2002, 12:35 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
tmp, you're not a million miles from Tyres Northampton, which is where I ended up after a nightmare few weeks with wheels (buckled), tyres (worn out) and a bunch of local clowns who gouged my rims and twice failed to balance the wheels properly. I made 17 calls to local tyres shops and not one had any brand of tyre to fit my car at all. None whatsoever.

Ended up with new wheels (OZ off a P1 for £400 - I got lucky for once ) and tyres, from Mark at Tyres NH (01604-588599) who had eight Goodyear F1s in stock (£90 each all in). It is almost a pleasure giving these guys money. The place is immaculate, the staff knowledgeable, friendly, and meticulous. They must have spent well over half an hour just balancing my wheels.

I thought any old monkey could fit tyres and balance them with those clever machines they use. I was wrong. I will never again go anywhere else but Tyres NH.

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 26 April 2002, 06:21 PM
tmp
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys, I am going Tyres Northampton Sat morning

I ended up going back to the place where I bought the tyres again, last Tues (just to give them one more chance). They implied it was probably my wheels and not them
“Well Sir, It could be your alloys, we have even balanced them on the fine setting”.
Last time I spend several hundred £’s with them, they just couldn’t care [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]!

Will let you know how I get on

Tim