Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

S03's - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2002, 06:52 PM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quickie - managed to get PHH to give me some SO3's and getting them fitted tomorrow - any good? Got a mate who seems to rate 'em.

I hope they are better than MXV's that lasted 45,000 miles with good reason - they are made out of granite!

Smudge
Old 17 April 2002, 06:56 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

There was a huge thread about this... the SO-3 is no match for the SO-2, basicially we are waiting for the SO-4 for that. The SO-3 is far better than the original RE010 and I can attest to that and the fact its actually a very good sticky tyre. Ive no experiance of the SO-2 though.

The only thing is you may find you feel the tread blocks moving as you corner. I can certainly feel it but its no bad thing as the tyre holds on very well.

Have found i can oversteer in the dry with these in fast hairpins but then the tyres were very hot and I was 'playing'... :-)

Jon.

Old 18 April 2002, 09:00 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep - I rate them. On my old car (MY00) I ran (17") S02s and Toyo's - both excellent tyres. My new car (MY01) had 18" Pzeros and I wasn't impressed. Glad to get rid of them at 12K miles to be honest. I've now fitted 18" S03s and I have to say they are very good.

It is hard to do a direct comparison as my old car was on standard springs with 17" rims and my new car is using Eibach's on 18" rims and the new car handles considerably better than the old one. What you must do (as with the S02s) is bed them in well - anything upto 1000 miles. I haven't tried them in the wet yet (it hasn't rained around here for over three weeks!), but the dry grip level is certainly on a par with the best tyres.

Chris
Old 18 April 2002, 10:02 AM
Dazzler
Scooby Regular

Just replaced my S02's with S03's yesterday so I'll let yawl know in a few weeks time how they compare.

On first appearances they don't look as good as the old ones (sad that I can think tyres can be pretty hey!). The lip to protect the wheels from curbing is not as prominant. Also, the tread does look a bit too gappy compared to the S02's so I can understand why these might squirm a little more under hard cornering.

So far, even in the bedding in period they feel pretty planted though. We'll see after the bedding in period ....
Old 18 April 2002, 12:24 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Like em, had the car on track yesterday at Castle Coombe and the tyre wear was not too bad, expected to scrub the left but was pleasantly impressed.

Jase
Old 19 April 2002, 04:58 AM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately the search facility was down so I couldn't find any other correspondence.

Had them fitted yesterday, and it's difficult to tell until they scrub in a bit.

Thanks again for the views

Smudge
Old 03 May 2002, 09:01 PM
Smudge
Scooby Regular

Hi Y'all

Been away on hols so haven't used the tyres much, but experienced a strange thing today. Driving through the centre of Leeds and I obviously picked up a BIG stone in the tread as had a tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, BANG! when I increased my speed and whatever it was flew out.

Thankfully it must have hit the underside, as I hate to think what a mess that would have made of the DBM 99 "non bullet proof" paint!

Smudge