Mintex or Pagid with uprated 2 pots???

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 08:05 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey guys,
My second scoob is about to go in for a badly needed service and one of the things that are getting sorted are the brakes.
I have Black Diamond cross drilled&vented discs from the first scoob that are less than a month old and braided hoses are going back on as well. I didn't think that much of the EBC red/green stuff setup that I had, so I didn't bother taking them off.
I have been given the choice of either Mintex or Pagid pads and would like any info/recommendations on any of these. Rough prices would be pretty cool too! Preferrably not as expensive as the extortionate EBC pads would also be a bonus, but I don't want to sacrifice safety at the end of the day....

Thanks in anticipation,

Nick
Old 12 April 2002, 01:50 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

I've used both Pagid Blue and Mintex 1155 pads with 4-pots. Both offer excellent performance, Pagids perhaps slightly better. However Pagids are hugely more expensive than Mintex - if I remember, I paid about £70 for a pair of Mintex and about £180 for Pagids, QED go for Mintex if you can get them. 1144s are OK, 1155s are best, 1166s are not suitable for road use ie. take too long to warm up.

T
Old 12 April 2002, 03:37 PM
Chris.Palmer
Scooby Regular

For two pot calipers Pagid don't do a Blue pad only a Fast Road one - price for these should be less than £100.

I have Pagid with my 2 pots & they're good.

Cheers,

Chris
Old 12 April 2002, 06:13 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Having recently researched the same issue I have opted for the Pagid as the Mintex have been described as 'dust city'. Cleaning wheels is bad enough without a dusty pad contributing to the issue IMHO.

I suppose I'm lazy .

Otis.
Old 13 April 2002, 08:41 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Question

EBC pads extortionate? How much were you paying?

I've got EBC Greenstuff all round, front about £36(2 pot) and about £38 rear.

For a change I've just had some Red Dot XE pads from Halfords for £44.27. Not sure what they're like yet, just had them as spares for the May 'ring trip in case the greens wear out.
Old 13 April 2002, 08:51 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Confused to put it mildly now as to what I am going to get.... Why are the pagids called 'Blue'? The current pads on my car are a milkyish blue in backing colour and I have to say that whatever those pads are, they bite really, really well on the boggo standard 2 pot setup currently in place. Have no idea what they are though...

I might be a 'cheapskate' and go for all greens, as this latest scoob is already cleaning me out with all of it's 'little surprises'....

Cheers,

Nick

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 4/13/2002 10:07:42 PM]
Old 15 April 2002, 10:17 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

I would try the Mintex as the Pagid pads on my car were very good at braking but ****e quality.The back pads came of the mount and the front have cracked and warped two sets of discs in six months and as for brake dust they are awfull and I have got to scrub my wheels to get them off (p1 pads and discs ring a bell?)and the blues do come in 2 pot form as i have had them on the rear and front at the moment.