Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Advice Please - Sticking h/brake & No brakes

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2010, 01:29 PM
carling82
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Please - Sticking h/brake & No brakes

Could someone please give me some advice...

I have 2007 WRX - 16,000 miles...

During the very cold period before christmas, after not using my car for a few days, the handbrake stuck on, I was parked on my drive, flat surface, and only realised it had stuck on as I drove off, felt the brakes release and a noise as they released, after this everything was ok.

This happened again, as above a few days later.

A couple of days ago, having parked my car overnight, the same thing happened, only this time I had virtually no brakes the first time I attempted to brake, I depressed the pedal a few times and then the brakes returned as normal. This happened again today.

This latest problem with no, or virtually no brakes, has only happened during the last few days. and as stated above once I depress the pedal a few times the brakes return to normal, the prob with no brakes has only happened after the handbrake has stuck on overnight.

I have booked the car into subaru dealer to have the problem sorted but would be interested if anyone could suggest what may be causing this.

Also, could you tell me if there is a quick way to find a post that you have posted, I usually have to trawl through all the posts until I find mine in order to view any replies.

Thanks very much
Old 31 December 2010, 08:18 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Maybe the float in the Power Steering resovoir?

Did the pads stick to the discs and has left maring?

Steve
Old 01 January 2011, 12:14 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Have you got standard pads? - if high performance pads then maybe not getting to operating temp quickly enough so wooden and not biting when cold.

If you have alot of water on their pads/disk then it does take a little time/couple of hard braking moments to burn this off.
Old 01 January 2011, 12:33 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

The handbrake shoes are not linked to your pedal, and are for handbrake only.

If you are getting the impression of a sticking handbrake coupled with a lack of initial pedal pressure, that would suggest a sticking or sized caliper, front or rear, unstick it by rocking, take it for a spin, feel which wheel is the hottest, and there's your culprit.
Old 01 January 2011, 12:35 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

edit: could also be a stuck or seized brake pad or pads, which thinking about it, is more likely.
Old 03 January 2011, 09:21 PM
adman73
Scooby Regular

Sounds similar to my classic when stood for a few days in this weather. I don't apply the handbrake (parked off road & use chocks) and I still have the symptons which you describe.

I suspect it is the damp, cold conditions causing the pads to bind on the discs. Once the brakes have released, If I look at the discs I can see the outline of the brake pads and the brakes have very little feel or effect initially.

I simply make a couple of gentle stops or apply a little bit of left foot braking and the brakes return to normal. I assume this is due to the pads and disc cleaning themselves as I brake.