Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Operating temperature for tyres? Advice pls

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2010, 11:46 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Operating temperature for tyres? Advice pls

I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on my P1 (225/35ZR18 from memory).

Had one disintegrate on the motorway yesterday (front wheel - not much wear on tyres, checked pressures about 3 weeks ago). Luckily stopped before it damaged the alloy but, on looking at it, it's marked as "Temperature A".

I seem to recall someone saying something about these (softer?) compound tyres not being designed for below freezing which causes the rubber to crumb or something.

Before I stick a pair of new fronts on it, I'm keen to put my mind at rest (it'll be doing a fair mileage over Christmas and is great in the snow, so want to be able to trust the tyres).

Any thoughts?
Old 19 December 2010, 05:22 PM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/utqg-advice

The temperature index represents a tyre's temperature resistance and its ability to dissipate heat. This index is obtained by a laboratory test using a test wheel. Excessive heat can cause tyre degradation. This index is indicated by the letters A (highest index), B, and C (lowest index). By law, C is the lowest acceptable rating.

Softer rubber should be better in the cold, winter tyres are made from softer rubber and other silicas etc and they work best below 7 Deg C and that is when 'normal' tyres start going hard and don't grip as well.

Sounds like something else has affected your tyre.
Old 20 December 2010, 01:54 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Good - thx. Problem now is that the tyre place are telling me Goodyear don't makes the GS-D3's any more and wants me to put their assymetrics on - completely different tyre in my head and the Goodyear site shows the GS-D3's. Ho hum.
Old 20 December 2010, 09:39 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gordo
I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on my P1 (225/35ZR18 from memory).

Had one disintegrate on the motorway yesterday (front wheel - not much wear on tyres, checked pressures about 3 weeks ago). Luckily stopped before it damaged the alloy but, on looking at it, it's marked as "Temperature A".

I seem to recall someone saying something about these (softer?) compound tyres not being designed for below freezing which causes the rubber to crumb or something.

Before I stick a pair of new fronts on it, I'm keen to put my mind at rest (it'll be doing a fair mileage over Christmas and is great in the snow, so want to be able to trust the tyres).

Any thoughts?
How old was the tyre? F1s have the month and year of manufacture, together with where they were made ( Gemany or China ) on the sidewall.

Here's an old thread regarding the GSD3. Bob

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-f1-users.html
Old 22 December 2010, 08:28 PM
Celicakid
Scooby Regular

Yeah F1 Eagles assymetrics are the top Goodyears At the moment, and like Trogg said Winter Tyres are made up from a Softer Compound. Do you have a photo of the Damaged Tyre as thats a better way of telling what exactly caused it.