Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Prodrive brake upgrade for P1

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2002, 06:13 PM
Tinsta
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi,

Anyone had this brake upgrade done to their beloved p1? is it better/worse than other third party brake upgrades? scoobysport/GGR etc...

thanks

Tin
Old 08 April 2002, 11:17 PM
jimbob2
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yep, I've had mine done.

In fact, I've been running them for a year of the P1. Good brakes, pads have only worn down 50% in 20,000 miles....
...but they are now warped (not happy) and the bells have gone rusty (looked like primer on them originally)

These go for about £1500 including fitting, which includes decent brake lines. If you can afford it, buy some of the excellent MOVIT brakes (used on Porsches) - more money bet apparently a lot better.

Old 09 April 2002, 08:36 PM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went for the Scoobysport AP/Brembo Kit on my P1 and have been totally impressed. Money definitely well spent
Old 09 April 2002, 09:52 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

ScoobySports offer a great ap kit, though if you are after something different visit www.kad-uk.com

or here's a picture of the on my WRX MY01

Old 10 April 2002, 12:38 PM
Tinsta
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

think i'll wait and do some more research, plus save some more

knowlesy, they look wicked m8, those wheels are nice aswell.

how much did all of that cost, if u don't mind me asking? do you have any more pics with the whole car?? feel free to reply via email if u wish.

cheers

Tin
Old 10 April 2002, 11:19 PM
Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Tin yhm
Old 11 April 2002, 05:59 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

If I was going to replace my brakes, the only thing I would replace them with is AP's. The only decision left is to go for the 4 pots or 6 pots.

I am of course biased because I went for the AP4 pots (almost as good as the 6 pots) and have driven other brakes and I am convinced that these are the best. The Prodrive/Alcon's are not bad but are not as good, have real problems with warping when used hard and are heavier.

AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP AP

Matt
Old 04 September 2002, 01:40 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Many people have the excellent Prodrive/Alcon brakes fitted, but they are expensive, heavy, and some people have had warping problems. Replacement discs cost a rocket.

There are several other highly recommended and thoroughly tried and tested alternatives for that kind of money, but these do NOT include the Movits which have such wide calipers that they don't fit under any known wheels.

AP Racing supply superb kits to fit 16 or 17in wheels (from ScoobyMania) or the ScoobySport kits which use Brembo calipers with AP Racing discs.

There are many other cheaper options, but there is nothing better on the market than these.

Best regards,

Richard.

Edited to add that not all kits marketed as AP Racing are actually the offical kit. The GGR kit for example uses the inferior 24-vane instead disc of the recommended 48-vane disc.

The foregoing is the general conclusion of recent debate on here. If you want the whole story, including why the Movits just don't work, click on the last 100 days and settle down for A LOT of reading.

Happy stopping

[Edited by Hoppy - 4/9/2002 1:47:54 AM]